Wyoming Bison Hunt

wymoosehunter

I drew number 49 for wild, free-ranging bison this year in Wyoming for the Jackson area hunt. After finding out my draw number, I learned that I had early October for my time slot on the elk refuge, but I planned on being done by then. Boy did I have another thing coming. My big plans to hunt early fall with my bow fell through due to work and I made my first hunt over Thanksgiving weekend, with a rifle.
When I purchased my tag, the nice lady at WY G&F in Jackson told me that about a week earlier a herd had come onto the refuge from the park and hunters shot 6 from the herd. She said one of the outfitters had found two bulls on the national forest and they had gotten one. She said to pray for snow as the buffalo were staying in the park.
My wife and son went with me and we spent the holiday in our little camper (even had a traditional turkey dinner)and glassing and trudging the national forest looking for bison and tracks since there were no buffalo on the elk refuge. We found three bulls that came from deep in Teton Park and they wandered to within 20 yards of the forest boundary, but never crossed. We spent three days spot checking them before having to head for home. We had a blast but I was feeling the pressure of a once in a lifetime hunt and with little snow to push the bison out of the high country (Teton Park) and on to legal hunt areas, I was wondering...
I went back the following week and checked with the G&F and was told that a herd had gone on a walk-about up the Gros Ventre drainage and 12 buffalo where taken (of course that was the day after I left from the first hunt). Unfortunately, I guess a number of the people who shot buffalo violated a number of game laws and some where confiscated. She again told me that they did not believe there were any bison on the refuge and that since the buffalo had gone back to the park, none had been seen or harvested.
I spent the next two days checking places that I knew had historically had buffalo and doing lots of walking and glassing, all to no avail. We saw lots of buffalo, but all were on the park.
On Saturday, we walked into a spot that is about a mile from the trail head and found a small group of bulls near the park boundary, but they were bedded and did not look like they were going to move to the forest. We decided to come back before dark and check on them.
We then drove 30 miles down to near the refuge and checked on another group of bulls that had been wandering near the forest boundary. They were close, but close doesn't count...
Two buddies had come with me for the hunt and we decided to climb to a high point and glass. About 9:30 am, we spotted two bulls bedded in an aspen grove on the elk refuge. We were about five miles away and we just got lucky spotting them (thanks to elevation). We hustled off the mountain and drove to a "designated access" point, waded the river into the refuge, and hiked about 5 miles to get to the bulls. When we peaked over the ridge and looked where they should have been, no bison. We saw tracks leading out of the grove and up and over a peak, still heading deeper into the refuge. We climbed up to the peak and looked over-no buffalo. We hadn't gone 50 yards down the draw leading off the peak, and there they where. I looked them over and decided that they were both shooters, but one was better than the other. One shot, and then instantly the work began.
I don't think twice about shooting a bull elk in the nastiest hole as I know that I can get them out, but wow, buffalo are different. They are fricking huge. Don't even kid yourself about trying to get one out on your own. Just rolling it over to gut it proved to be a herculean job, let alone gutting it. When reality set in and my plan of packing it out on my own proved to be delusional, I called Trefon's outfitting to pack the bull out. They had two giant horses and even then, it had to be cut in half to drag it out. It took almost 4 hours to drag it 600 yards to the retrieval road...
It was cold on both hunts (10-15 degrees below zero in the mornings), lots of glassing and hiking through a foot of crusted snow, and lots of miles. But boy, it sure was fun.
Anyway, enough rambling. Picture below. Merry Christmas.
WyMo

7537resized.jpg

Congrats on your bison hunt Wymoosehunter, you sure earned your once in a lifetime trophy, and got a hell of a bull to boot. I know elk can big animals to pack out, but can't imagine a mature bull buffalo! Excellent work and way to make a once in a lifetime tag a total success. By the way, looks like you will have plenty of meat for the freezer this winter, and spring, and summer. Jeff

Great Read and a dandy Buff for you!

It certainly is no walk in the park type hunt as I found out last year on my hunt up there.

I finally harvested on day 5.....

My wife and I (all 120 lbs of her) just skinned/caped and boned the meat off and packed the meat to the truck.

That head and cape was the toughest to lift/load in the truck!! Holy-moly!

Like you---it was a wonderful experience and dang good eats and mount.

congrats

Robb

Great story, great hunt, great trophy!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

By the way; Bison meat is really nasty crap! I'll be glad to drive up and take it off your hands! LOL

Congrats on you excellent and successful hunt.

Zeke

Congrats Wyomoose!

Beautiful animal! I start my bull hunt with Double Diamond on the 16th.

Brad,

Congrats on a dandy bull! Thanks for sharing the pics and story of your hunt. It's frustrating, for sure, to see hundreds of bison daily, but they all are on the Nat'l Park!

Sounds like you did it the hard way, congrats on a fine animal and a great hunt. I drew the first year they bumped the tags up and had an "easy" hunt on the refuge. 3 of us butchered and hauled out a bull 600 yards from the road, took us 8 hrs and whipped our butts.

Congratulations on the Bull. I drew #45 a couple of years ago and got a nice bull. Everyone I know of are having a rough time at it this year, glad you got yours. If you get a chance look at the Oct/Nov issue of Eastmans Hunting Journal, I have my hunt and pictures in it.
Bob

Great story wymoosehunter. You should post a couple more pics, that's the hunt of a lifetime. I saw the Trefen guys heading up Long Hollow with two trailers the afternoon of 12/3, and am wondering if they were heading for your buff? I killed a cow elk the afternoon before not far from there and was heading out when they were going in. There were wolves running around and howling all over that area on 12/2, but they didn't bother my meat. Congratulations

They said that they had pulled out an elk that morning somewhere else on the lower end of the refuge. They did come up to the head of long hollow with two trailers, left one there and came all the way to the NE corner access road to get my buffalo out. Super nice people and I highly recommend them.
WyMo

Congragulations on an awsome hunt i was hopeing for a chance this year i was number 108, hoped somebuddy would bail and i would get to go. Awsome bull

Moseley middleton

Appreciate all the comments. I had an amazing fall; helped on a WY bighorn hunt, my 12 year old son got his first big game animal, then scored on another, my wife got her first elk, and then the buffalo hunt.
I wanted a real fair chase hunt and I actually got more than I bargained for. I would never have dreamed that it would be harder to get a buffalo than an elk. I wish my son could have been there but that darn schooling got in the way!

I have been blessed (and lucky).
Here are a couple of more pictures.
WyMo

468buffalo_hunt_427.jpg

5935buffalo_hunt_430.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom