Wyoming Deer Units

Lhedrick1

HI All, my father and I are planning a trip to either Wyoming or Colorado next year. I've been tasked with researching Wyoming and much of my searches led me to this forum so I decided to join.

Wondering if anyone has any advice for a good starting point. I've researched areas on the Wyoming hunt planner and have ruled out areas we can't hunt ( dad has point's but I have none so will probably rely on an area with 100 % general no points or 100% special tag no points).

We are looking for 2nd or 3rd rifle in an open plains area but also one that is not dependent on weather pushing deer down from the high country.

Looking at unit 64, possibly doing some leg work to find landowners who allow NR to hunt as it looks like this gets hunted pretty hard.

Units 81/78, the nothern part of area D (though appears there may be some CWD in 66?), area Y for both whitetail and mules (like to possibly get an area with leftover whitetail tags in case the mule deer is a bust) and finally unit M.

If anyone has experience hunting these areas it would be great to have some additional info. Thank you and thanks for the site; the pictures, stories and info on here are quite impressive.

You can share your Dad's points with you, just divide by two and that is the number you have (no rounding). Even if he has only 1 point, that could be very helpful as you would draw with 0.5 points before anyone with 0! How many does he have?

Well the morning started out with my Dad saying "I've got good news and I got bad news". The good news being you can share preference points in Wyoming. The bad news is he only has points for Antelope and Elk, no deer. So we both have zero points for Wyoming and will likely have to bank on a unit offering special tags.

.....don't all units offer special tags????

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Ive hunted area y 5 out of the last 10 years possibly will be going out there next fall if your looking for a monster buck look somewhere else. You need a preference point now to draw or special. Last year we had 10 out of 12 guys get deer im pretty sure but from what i heard the deer numbers were way down this year the guys that were out there still got a couple nice bucks

Thanks for the info Blane. I will checl that unit out. Not expecting too much with zero points but want to have a nice hunt see some deer and get out feet wet on our first DIY deer hunt without being trampled by ATVs. We've hunted Elk in Yampa (Colorado) twice but haven't done a Deer hunt yet on out own.

No problem happy to help, i hardly ever see any atvs where we hunt doesnt seem to be an issue. If you do decide to apply for y let me know i would be more than happy to send you in the right direction

How's your knowledge on unit 27? My Dad was just telling me this AM how he and my grandfather hunted in Bighorn 30+ years ago. He loved the country. Now it looks like very little public land?

I havent hunted much in 27 i did hunt about a day in 27 last year seen a few really nice bucks about 100 yards on private. Seen some really nice whitetail also kind of tricky to find some of the access to the public but theres plenty of public land around there. You should get a handheld gps the onx wyoming chip and a good paper road map. If i go back this coming year i will probably try to spend a day or to up around buffalo in 27

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom