Wyoming elk question

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - got a question for you from a Utah hunter. I have never hunted outside of Utah before but I want to get up to your beautiful state to spend some time in some new parts of the Rocky Mountains and chase some bulls.

I currently have 2 NR bull elk points. I was thinking about applying for a unit that would give me about a 20% chance or greater of drawing this year.

I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to help me a little bit with learning more about Wyoming units. I can return the favor with Utah info on deer and elk.

-My goal would be to shoot a 300" bull, I am realistic, not looking for a 350". I also realize that there are no guarantees in any units to even shoot a 300".

-I would PREFER to hunt somewhere in the central or western part of the state just to save a little driving time from the SLC area. This is not required just would make a couple of scouting trips easier.

-I cannot afford guided so I wont be able to hunt wilderness or hire a guide.

-I am in good hiking shape, so areas that are rough terrain would be acceptable.

-I would be open to doing a backpack style archery hunt, but would prefer to have a basecamp and do 4 to 6 mile hikes daily.

Thanks guys!

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

Have you considered applying for a general non-resident tag. I think you can get one with 2 point,(haven't checked in a while) and there are tons of areas to go too. Most everything from Cokeville up to Jackson. All of which are in the western part of the state and hold a lot of elk.

20% chance at drawing is an 80% chance you won't. If you can swing it, go special fee and GEN as a 2nd choice. 100% so far. Lots more area to hunt and a 300 can be had.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom