Wyoming Elk

mlg

Had an incredible hunt with my daughter, she was lucky enough to harvest this great bull!! Congrats Lexi!!

75465img3384.jpg

90863img05691.jpg

4160img0552.jpg

47577img3428.jpg

Good looking, big, bull. I love the little devil tines and the extra little kicker of the sword. They give it great character.

Congrats to you and your daughter. Sounds like a great hunt !!!

Cheers,
Pete

Heck of a nice Bull. Tell us the whole hunt, start to finish would love to her story. I know she has to be on cloud 9

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Great Bull, there is nothing better than a father, daughter hunt. Congratulations to the young lady and to you for making it happen

This truly was an amazing hunt. The excitement started when drawing the coveted tag back in February. I have been putting Lexi in for points since she was eligible and therefore, had maximum points.

After months of anticipation and researching maps and talking to past hunters including monster muley members: KJW, 88man, wapitiwilly, troutbum, Ruger1022, we were ready to go on our first scouting trip.

What we found was simply mind boggling, in a weekend in August we saw over 150 bulls with many very nice mature bulls. It was incredible.

Seeing so many bulls prompted us to purchase a crossbow and purchase an archery tag. Lexi was very excited, but knew that there was a slim chance of harvesting a big bull in such open country.

As opening day approached, our excitement grew and grew. After getting our schedules arranged, Lexi is a high school math teacher, we were finally off to Wyoming, along with my youngest son Brady.

We left on a Friday, which gave us all day Saturday to scout as the season opened on Sunday September 1.

We scouted all day Saturday and saw many mature bulls. Late in the day, we spotted a large 350 type bull with 10 cows in a very remote part of the unit very close to a spring surrounded by high sage. We had a plan for opening day, sit in a ground blind over the water.

Opening day found us sitting in the blind, we had antelope, wild horses and a coyote come into the water, but no elk. At about 10:30, I told my kids I was going to go exploring and would be back in about 2 hours. Well, 2 hours turned into 4 and as I returned to the blind my kids were a little hot and tired to say the least, hahaha!!

That evening we spotted a large group of elk and snuck into the herd and was able to call in a 320 bull to about 50 yards which was plenty big in Lexi's mind. On more than one occasion she said "Dad, let me shoot him".

After this encounter, my kids were optimistic but a little tired. We all knew that it would be hard to get close to a big mature bull.

Lexi had to get back to teaching, so we decided to hunt one more morning. We decided to go to a closer part of the unit with steeper topography.

The morning started a little slow, my kids had a hard time waking up so we got off a little later than we should have.

When we got to our hunting location, we immediately starting see a lot of elk. As we came over a rise we saw a very good bull, 340 plus with a classic looking rack. I told Lexi that he for sure is a shooter. I had Brady stay back with a spotting scope and me and Lexi were off. Initially, we got to within 120 yards but no closer. We watched the bull and finally had him bedded about 1000 yards away. We were going to get another chance.

We had to make a big loop around a large knob to keep the wind right. As we kept getting closer and closer our excitement kept growing. As we got to the knob our stalk quickly changed.

As we peaked over a rise, all we could see was a large set of antlers sticking out of the sage. It was a different, and even bigger bull!! I quickly ranged the sage, 60 yards!! I whispered to Lexi if we can get to that bush we will be 40 yards!! We made it about 10 yards, then approximately 30 cows stood up. I grabbed a bolt and loaded the crossbow. Lexi said "hurry Dad". She put the bow on shooting sticks and made the shot. As the bull was moving away, we could see that he was hit a little bit back.

After 3 hours of waiting, we normally would have waited longer but it was very hot, we followed the blood trail to a bedded bull, Lexi made a final lethal shot from 40 yards and the hunt was over!!

We were all so happy and were in awe of the beautiful bull and felt so thankful!!

After the celebration, me and Lexi quartered the bull while Brady hauled the meat back to the truck, all 5 loads!!

Special thanks to all that helped in this hunt and to my kids, we missed you Ryan. This truly was such an unforgettable experience. Lexi, you will always be my favorite hunting partner!!

Great bull and a great story. There's nothing better than family hunting stories. Congrats to Lexi and I hope your son is next.

That is awesome congrats

"I'll admit it, that's hella funny! Good to see you around 202, I wish you would return on a regular basis there's a lot of bruised low lying fruit on here lately. You should be on here on a regular basis especially since it was your political carpet bombing at the campfire that inspired this forum!"
Thank you Forthewall

Some great memories made right there! Awesome. Congrats to you both.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Awesome story!! Congrats do you guys !
I'm hunting it right now.
Pm me if you don't mind helping out another non-resident out .

Which is more impressive? Lexi's bull or her brothers buck...?? Looks like he got to pack them both out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom