Wyoming Gamewardens

Whiterock

Very Active Member
Before the holidays I contacted the Gamewardens in Laramie,Sundance and Medicine Bow to ask there thoughts on deer population in the area. Got some good honest info from these guys.Good to talk to someone that has not let money and politics take over there thoughts.
A big thanks to them and you folks on this sight for the info that gets posted here.

Ya, what is their take on deer numbers? I have hunted Wyoming quiet a bit and had contact with numerous wardens and biologists over the past twenty years and all my contacts have been nothing but possitive. They have always been great to talk with and deal with. Wyoming is a great state with great people!!! Keep it up Wyoming.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]NE Wyoming the whitetail are holding there own as far as number.Down from what was there a few years ago but still maintaining numbers. Mule deer is continueing on a decline.Would not recommend coming from Michigan to hunt there unless you make contact with a rancher that has good deer numbers .He would not recommend Public land trophy deer hunt for the non resident as they do not monitor there public land for guallity .
The Laramie Region J ,mule deer numbers are low,he sugjested trying the public land early archery season ,but did say do not come out with high hopes of seeing large numbers of deer as they are not there.
The Medicine Bow area ,the deer numbers are slowly recovering .He said you should see some bucks on public land that would be in the 1.5 -2.5 year old class ,small 3points and few small 4 points but given another year meaning 2015 ,with a normal winter a guy should do good in the area .Between Medcine Bow aand Casper the public land does hold a few trophy bucks but it takes a lot of foot work to find them.He said the reduced hunting season and antler point restriction appears to be working there.
Both Laramie and Medicine bow Wardens recommended coming out for elk and not deer as the elk population is over objective in there areas.Especially cow elk.

These are the basics of our conversations.Real nice fellows.

I have great respect for the Wyoming Game wardens they have treated us good and so has Arizona.

I haven't hunted Wyoming yet just been building points for an Antelope hunt.
But I gotta say every last one of the Wyo. F&G personnel I have spoke with were very pleasant and helpful, wish I could say the same for my home state of Idaho.
Thanks Wyoming.. :)

I have Hunted and talked to F&G/ Biologists/wardens in 8 western states and Wyoming has been the most helpful and friendly to me by far.

wyoming wardens are hands down the best . oregon, utah, new mexico, and arizona are great also. the worst for helping is co, nv, and the worst of all time is CALIFORNIA. They seem not to no much about the wildlife. Thats my exp.

>wyoming wardens are hands down the
>best . oregon, utah, new
>mexico, and arizona are great
>also. the worst for helping
> is co, nv, and
>the worst of all time
>is CALIFORNIA. They seem not
>to no much about the
>wildlife. Thats my exp.

Maybe there to busy making movies.

Hunted Wy the first time this year. Every Warden we talked to and one turned us onto a ranch that was letting hunters deer hunt on. Great experience and great folks.

>wyoming wardens are hands down the
>best . oregon, utah, new
>mexico, and arizona are great
>also. the worst for helping
> is co, nv, and
>the worst of all time
>is CALIFORNIA. They seem not
>to no much about the
>wildlife.

My experiance has been that Wyo is top notch
they have been very helpful and professional.
Colorado has been mixed from a warden tellingme where he say a herd with a 6point bull which i later killed to a female officer who tried her best to find something to hang me for.
Montana has been great. Shot more than i bear where the warden told me to look.

UTAH? well they are law enforcement not public servants.....there major concern is to make sure you KNOW they are the man and in my experiance rarely if ever fulfill the public service part of there job requirements...

I agree with the wardens and had the same notion. 2 more years hunting should get better with mild winters. Hunted region W for the whole season and hunted hard. One possible shooter that got on private before we could get to him. Lots of bucks seen and harvested with a couple toads. Went home with tag soup for deer but came home with rib eyes and marinated tri tips from Snake river processing. Awesome good.

I've hunted Wyoming for antelope 3 times, elk twice, deer and bison and have had many interactions with Wyoming wardens and every single time they were very professional, helpful and pleasant. I have told several that they would never make it as a warden in my home state of Washington, and they look at me kinda funny and I explain we have an A-hole requirement and they just won't make the cut. We have the worst wardens here in Washington but we do have a few good ones now, just nothing like Wyoming.

I will agree with eveyone else. Hands down the best wardens going. We came into contact with the guys out of Casper a few years ago and they were awesome. One of our guys accidentally shot two antelope with one shot and they didn't make him feel like a criminal. They simply gave him a warning (he did turn himself in) and proceeded to let him keep both (Doe) antelope and told him that they hoped this experience didn't tarnish his Wyoming experience and hoped he would be back.

The right way to handle an honest mistake imho.
Hammnit

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom