Wyoming Moose Unit 10

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
I have been into this area now twice to hunt moose. I hit all my usual haunts where I have seen some good bulls over the last 10+ years. The first weeks hunt, the weather was just too warm and getting a bull out would have been a problem. I went again last week. I put in about 60 miles of hiking and walking in 4 days. On the 11th it rained the whole day. I hunted high (snowline)and also low. The mud on the trails was really bad. There were very few elk hunters out and I only ran into a single moose hunter. She had just arrived. I have yet to see a moose in 9 days of hunting. The sign I am seeing is very old. I did cut a couple of fresh tracks on the 12th. My honey hole drainage has nothing but elk in it. Any suggestions? I am going back for 4 days in another week to wrap up the tag. I would appreciate any help.Send me a PM or an email if you have any ideas.

Wish I could help. Your exerience is mirroring mine this year in Area 20: hunt high & low, talk to other hunters (very few moose), only 1 small bull seen and very few cows/claves in 3 trips to the area. This is one of the only hunts I've ever been on that I have been unable to locate the game we are hunting. I have a distinct feeling that my wife will have tag soup on this hunt.

The other moose hunters I have run into are reporting the same thing. I'm sure Zim will post his thoughts, too.

Sure do hope you find a decent bull to shoot!

Went in for the last hurrah on Sunday with the intent of staying until Wednesday. No moose on Sunday and no moose on Monday. On Tuesday morning I hiked into a new drainage (not previously scouted by me)in the dark. I climbed up on a hillside to glass some willow bogs at creekline. Around 9:00 AM, I glanced to my right and there was a bull moose working his way up the hillside. This was the first moose I had seen in 11 days of moose hunting. He was moving away from me. I ranged him at 440 yards. I got a good rest with my .300 WSM and let the lead fly. Hit him in the heart with the first shot and also the third shot. He staggered downhill and died about 30 ft. from the trail. I was solo and it took me most of the day to butcher the moose. I got him hung and hiked out with the front shoulder 3 miles to the trailhead. I called in some friends and my oldest son. They arrived quickly this morning and we packed the moose out this morning. A very strange bull moose. He had 3 long points on each side with good mass but no paddles. His outside spread is 42".

Mightyhunter glad to hear you where able to fill your Moose tag sounds like you had a very tuff hunt.

Have they got much snow in the high country above Cody? I am leaving in about 10 days and they are calling for some snow and cold weather after the 1st.

Congrats mightyhunter, Wow the more I read about these western WY moose hunts the more depressing it gets. Your hunt sounds a lot like mine in unit 20 this year. I tagged a small bull on the 12th or so day. I think your persistance paid off. You should be very pleased to find that bull. Please post a picture.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom