Wyoming Moose Unit 18

nripepi

Very Active Member
Has anyone hunted Wyoming Moose Unit 18 west of Dubois? I know that is 99% public ground, but it seems that there are a lot of permits for a small area. Are there any trophy class bulls in this area?

Thanks for any input and good luck to all in the draws.

Nino

From my limited knowledge of unit 18 there are quite a few moose. The WG&F manages this unit for quantity of moose rather than quality.

I am familiar with 18. To the best of my knowledge, there is no legal motorized vehicle access in this area. It is mostly drained by Fish Creek to the south and west, with some smaller tribs. You are looking at long uphill pack-outs from the best habitat to the access, which is on the east.

It is OK moose habitat, with narrow willow bogs down along small creek beds. There isnt much for swamps, ponds or lakes. I have seen fair moose numbers, but havent seen what most would consider a trophy moose. Lava Mountain area is famous grizz habitat. I havent had any problems with them, but apparently others have. I have noticed a huge drop in rigs parked at the trailheads over the last 5 years.

Bottom line is you will probably need horses to fully hunt the area. You will see moose, but probably no bad boys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom