Wyoming Moose Unit 24

Skeet

I am considering applying for unit 24 and was wondering if anyone on here has hunted it before. Was curious the numbers of moose seen and the time of year and some sort of idea with the terrain. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Skeet

I hunted unit 24 in 2005. I spent two extended weekends in the summer scouting (and fishing with the kids) and about 5 days hunting it during the first of October. There is fairly good road access, but enough country that you can do some hiking as well. I only saw two small bulls and a few cows during the (hot) summer. During the hunt I did see more moose, but not many. I ended up getting a just barely 40" bull I bumped into just before dark in the middle of a snow storm - after spending several hours earlier watching a smaller bull down in a real hellhole and plotting a stalk for the next day. Sometimes gifts do land in ones lap, but, man, are they big on the ground.

If you are keeping up on what has happened to the moose population in Wyoming, you are aware that tags numbers are half what they were before wolves were introduced and moose numbers in all of Western Wyoming are taking a serious nose dive. Eastmans rate this area as good, but not excellent.

Unit 24 still carries good moose numbers. The population is definately down from 5 years ago but it is still at a good level. I see moose just about everyday while elk hunting. Just about every bull i have seen has been in the 1.5 to 3.5 age class with high 30" bulls being the top end of what I have seen. Bigger bulls are in 24 but the majority of bulls you will see are mid 30" bulls. The country is some of the best around. Lots of willow covered creek bottoms. These always hold moose in the summer and early fall. By the time the season, Oct. 1, rolls around the bulls will be all over the mountain. Be in good shape. Fun country to hunt with a great deal of country to get away from other people. Lots of smaller open basins that hold the best bulls. Spend your hunting time up high. I am sure you have heard it before but I suggest getting a horse. I drew an area 16 moose tag 2 years ago and rented a horse from Wolfleys. I have paked out several bull elk on my back, mainly from area you are thinking of hunting, and while I could have handled the moose I still think that the horse was the way to go. I had no horse experience but this was the best money I ever spent. I did not ride the horse during the hunt only used it to get the bull off the mountain. I did not want to have to hassle with a horse during my hunt. It can be hard to justifiy the money for a horse rental but since the tag might as well be a once-in-a- lifetime tag I convinced myself it was a good thing. Got the bull out in two trips and had great time. That moose hunt was without a doubt the most exciting hunt I have ever been on. Stay off the roads and make it an adventure. Few open roads in 24 except for the occasional ATV rider that seems unable to read. Let me know if you are lucky enough to draw I will be spending the summer and hunting season in 24 and will be happy to let you know what i see and where. Good luck to you.

mulecreek,
How did your area 16 moose hunt go? I have been looking at this area. What kind of Moose population did you see, etc.
Thanks.

Moose numbers were good. I hunted for a week and saw bulls every day. I hunted at the end of September and seemed to hit the rut just about right. It was hot, in the high 80's low 90's so the moose were timbered up during the day. Mornings and evenings were great. I saw two bulls that I believe were over 40". They both had no palms at all. They looked like raghorn elk. I wanted a moose that looked like a moose. Ended up taking a 36" bull. Saw a good number of bulls in the mid 30" range. Saw one bull that had a great looking right antler but was busted off just past the base on his left side. 16 can be an interesting place to hunt in late September. You will see alot of day hikers from Victor and Driggs area. Saw one other hunter in a week of hunting. He was looking for moose as well. Ran into recreational hikers all day long. Got some funny looks but also had a lot of people that were interested in what we were doing and had alot of questions about how you hunt a moose. Buy a black bear tag. We saw bears every day, both black and grizz. If you have Mike Eastmans book "Hunting High Country Mule Deer", area 16 is the unit he used to outfit in and hunt when he was younger. That will give you some idea of the country. Hunt up high as well as along the creeks. Saw moose well above timberline and along the willow covered creek bottoms. Best hunt I have ever been on. If you go that route and get lucky in the draw let me know I will share what i know about places to hunt.

mulecreek, thanks for the info.....
Did you see most of the moose in area 16 in the wilderness or outside. I am nonresident and I would have to hire a guide if I wanted to hunt in the wilderness. Just curious, as this is another aspect a nr needs to think about.
Sounds like you had a blast on that moose hunt in 16.
I also heard that you have to be there at the right time as alot of moose head into Idaho, as the season goes along.
Thanks again..

Unit 24 is decent, I hunted in 25 in 06. Saw moose everyday, as many as 13 one day. I was really looking for something better than I got in the mid 90's in unit 11. I did explore into unit 24 one day and saw 4 nice bulls trying to service one cow....all of them in the mid to high 30 inch class. Its a great area but the wolves have taken the population down. I was up there last fall hunting antelope nearby and saw some nice bulls still hanging around. With the price of the NR tag you want to make sure the hunt is what you want. I had lots of success with the ranchers in 25 allowing me access to hunt their creek bottoms and such. Good luck

bp

Wapiti11, All the moose I saw were on the wilderness. I am a resident. I hunted off wilderness in the North and South Leigh creek drainages but did not see any animals. Although I would say that I did not concentrate my efforts there. I talked with two non residents that had hunted 16 the year before and they both took moose but they hunted at the end of the season, i believe in November. Moose had moved down out of the wilderness area. The biggest problem would be access points to nat forest land that is not wilderness. Alot of private at the base of the mountain and the two that I talked with said they did not find any landowners that would even let them cross through their land let alone hunt. You still have a good portion of nat forest land to hunt that is not wilderness but I would suggest going later in the season.

mulecreek,

thanks for the info, that helps a bunch, still trying to decide which unit to apply for, tough decision since it is truly a once in a lifetime tag, I am also considering 20,10 & 17, do you have any experience in any of those units. I am a nonres, and I do have my own horses, thanks for the help

Skeet,
Of those three the only one I have spent any time in would be 10. Another good unit. I have seen bigger bulls in 10 than in 24 but not the same quantity. The Hoback (unit 10) is similar to unit 24 in terrain, maybe a little steeper. Upper Hoback river, grizzly creek and Kilgore Creek are all good bets. Gets hammered during deer hunt and I would imagine many of those guys would be happy to help you out with info on where they are seeing bulls. Another good area where a guy with horses could ride and see new country every day. How many points do you have?

I have 10 points, so its no guarantee that I would draw. Just hoping I might get lucky. Would really love to get out of the points game its getting expensive. Thanks for all your help.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 05:58AM (MST)[p]I echo what mulecreek said about 10 compared to 24. Have spent a good amount of time in 10 after deer and elk, but have only observed moose. I did hunt 24 for moose in 2002 but my info might be dated. What everyone has stated is accurate from my experience. You can e-mail or pm me if you think I can help with specifics on drainages. Best tip I can give you is calling worked excellent for me. Cover a lot of ground and call often. The bulls were very responsive, at least on my hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom