Wyoming Moose

DRT

Been wanting to post something on here for a while about my moose hunt, but I didn't really have any pics of scouting/hunting, and I have been a little disappointed in the moose activity on here, nothing to get the blood flowing.

Anyway, I drew a Wyoming moose tag, unit 26 and scouted and had trail cams set all summer, without much success. I elk and deer hunt in the area regularly and generally see quite a few moose each season, so I wasn't too worried about finding one. Went out the 2nd weekend and saw plenty of moose, but nothing that was big enough to hang a tag on the first weekend out, plus the weather has been so hot, I wasn't sure I wanted to kill this early and risk spoiling the meat, so I passed on 8 bulls that weekend and felt good about the remainder of the season.

I really wanted to shoot my moose with my bow and this past week was my last chance, otherwise I had one more week in October to tag out with a rifle as we have some other tags in the family that we had to split our time with. So, I headed up with my brother, he hunted elk while I looked for a moose, turned out we pretty much looked for moose the whole week! Saw some bulls, saw some cows, then on Wednesday afternoon, we spotted this guy and it was game on.

I got on him and got a 50 yd shot and didn't make a great hit, high and forward in the shoulder, lots of blood right away, but it didn't last long and the bull headed for the high country. We tracked him for a few miles, and got on him a few more times, but he never presented me with a shot. Finally about a half hour before dark, he got in a spot that made for a good finishing shot. 40 yds and a perfect hit low behind the front leg, he made it about 60 yards more and was done. It was the most exciting hunt I have been on in a while, and although I am happy with the outcome, I am sad that it is over so soon.

He is 39" wide, with 20 1/2" paddles, I'm sure I could have found a bigger one once the rut really started to kick in but I like the choice I made.

DSC0034-L.jpg

DSC0041-L.jpg

DSC0028-L.jpg

Thanks for looking

Chad.

Heres some more pics, didn't do real good at taking pictures, was a little excited and it was pretty warm out, so had to get him taken care of quickly.

This was after the first shot, when he headed up the hill.

P1240809-L.jpg

P1240813-L.jpg

CIMG2014.jpg

Excellent!
Congrats on a trophy bull. They're getting tough to come by. I'll be in there next year trying to getting one.
Zeke

I hunted Wy last year and CO the year before,I would give anything to have that CO tag again and just carry a bow.I shot the CO bull with a ML and the WY bull with a rifle.I saw some relly good bulls in CO.That is a great bull and way to stick with it

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom