Wyoming Mountain Goat Unit 1!!!

npaden

Well, I struck lightning in a bottle and drew a Unit 1 Wyoming Mountain goat tag as a nonresident. 4 tags and 170 applicants for drawing odds of 2.3%!

I have some friends that live in Powell, WY that I hunt with, so right now the plans are to see if we can work out our vacation schedules for him to be a resident guide for me. Worst case scenario I might have to end up hiring a guide for the wilderness access.

Very pumped and excited about drawing!!!!

I also drew a unit 61 Wyoming elk tag that opens October 1st that I've already got everything lined up on, over the next few months I'll be working on planning this hunt.

Big thing I need to decide is if I need to be there for the opener on September 1st or if it would be okay or better to wait until mid September to combine it with my elk hunting trip.

I'm leaning toward being there on September 1st and making this my main focus pretty much until I get it done no matter how long it takes.

Anyone with any input or advice on Unit 1 Wyoming Mountain goat I'm all ears.

Thanks, Nathan

Even if your resident friends can't make it the majority of the goat habitat is not within the wilderness area.

Congrats. You shouldn't need a guide in that area. Talk to the G&F and they'll tell you where to start. I've seen a lot of goats towards the top of Beartooth Ppass in past years...

The coat will be better on the goat if you wait until later in the season. Don't wait until the weather turns too nasty, but the main trophy on a goat is the hair on the hide, so a little later will make a big difference.
Bill

Well done napalm! (I think of napalm every time I see your name)
That's a super sweet hunt and you really did beat the odds on that one. Have a great hunt!
Bill is right, the longer you wait the better for the cape but watch out for the high-country weather if you wait too long.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom