Wyoming preference points?

buckfee4

My son has 10 nonresident deer points, and 10 nonresident elk points, he also has 13 nonresident moose points. He was recently offered a job in Wyoming and is considering moving his family there. My question is what happens to his points if he becomes a resident? Are moose points just moose points no matter your residency? And what about deer and elk preference points, where there are no resident preference points for these species? I have read all the info I could find on it, and couldn't find any answer. This represents between 1200 and 1500 dollars and 13 years of investment. I greatly appreciate any info you might share. Thanks

I moved to Wyoming 3 years ago. I lost my points after 2 years since Wyoming residents don't receive points. They zeroed me out after 2 years. I only lost 2 points for deer. I would call game and fish to verify. But it may be smart to burn those deer points this year. Especially since it takes 1 full year to become a resident.

As said above. Burn the Elk and Deer points this year if possible (one this year and one next year if RoadlessHunter is correct). And keep holding the moose points until you find an area that you could draw or get higher in the point pool. Depending where your son is offered the job, it may change due to ease of scouting from home.

I'm not well versed in the points for units discussion but there are guys on here that really know their chit. If you do some preliminary research and narrow it down, most will help guide you in the right direction. Don't just ask where are your best choices. Do some work and most will help.

py

Once he becomes a resident the deer and elk are worthless. Better to dump them on a mid range hunt this year than to loose them entirely.

This represents between 1200 and 1500 dollars and 13 years of investment.

Guess he'll need to decide which investment is worth more. Also with Wyoming's economy completely in the toilet, I wouldn't consider any job right now unless its something highly specialized and fairly recession proof. Although jobs at the Pen are a dime a dozen given their crappy pay, work conditions and having to live in a dump like Rawlins...

Instead of worrying about the money "invested", look at the bright side. 13 resident moose points will get your son into a decent moose area. The cost of collecting non-resident deer and elk points will buy resident general tags with very generous season lengths. Instead of sitting on the sidelines wondering about if he has enough points to draw, he can go hunting EVERY year in great areas for deer and elk.

I moved back to Wyo in '08 from Nevada. I now do more hunting in an individual year than I could have done in a decade in Nevada. The opportunity to hunt big game in Wyoming is tough to beat!

The downsides? Like Triple_BB said, the economy truly sucks right now. Also, winters are long and often brutal.

Thank you for the info gentlemen. I've been on here since bobcatbess was just a kitten, just don't post much, and this is the kinda help we all come here for. We are pretty familiar with wyo, my son shot his first deer in 102 years ago. and we've hunted region G 10 seasons. He hasn't hunted deer or elk there for the last 10 years, but we all killed nice goats in wyo this past season. We certainly aren't worried about the investment, but like most of you when we invest in points in several states, and sometimes the game changes, we try to get the best info we can and get the best results we can from our investment. He could save almost that much money in the price difference on the moose tag, so it's all good. As far as the job he is a mechanical engineer, and the job looks rock solid. Not in the oil or coal industry. He knows all about the winters, as he grew up just 40 miles south of the wyo border, just as cold maybe a little less wind. LOL Well thanks again for your comments, looks like he has some decisions to make. Hey as it seems to be the thing to do lately anybody want to buy into region G this year? Maybe he and founder could make it a package deal.

I burned max points last year and had a great hunt in G and am looking for a way to get drawn again. Had to resurrect my username as it's been years since I used this site at all, and darned if I can figure out how to send a PM. I'm sure I could make it worth his time....sounds like he has spots to hunt and so do I, just need the points to get a tag!

LAST EDITED ON May-19-16 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]snowsheep...just to the right of someone's profile name you will see 2 different icons of envelopes. Click on the single one and that is the Private mail form to write your message and send to the individual you want. Welcome back.

Also, when you log on at main forum look above the edge and a RED flag will appear when you have a message and to view that look above this same area for the name INBOX MAIL...click on it and there you are.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks Kilowatt.....I think I got it figured out. Still trying to sort it all out, but H with friends is my backup plan, so looking forward to September either way!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom