Wyoming sheep 2013

sharpshooter

Guys,
Looking for some advice on a Wyoming sheep hunt in 2013.
I have 15 NR points and think this is the year. I would love to do it with somebody who knows the ropes. I'm not opposed to a guide and that probably makes the most sense given the rarity of the tag. I'm really torn between some units I've done research on. ( I know NR need a guide in wilderness )Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks

I'm thinking you have a good shot at some good sheep hunts with 15 points, but still have some waiting for the better hunts with a dependable population outside the wilderness. It is tough enough hunting on your own to risk a unit where there is just an outside chance at finding nomadic rams or a lesser unit with tougher to find sheep. Figure on hiring an outfitter if you want a good chance of hunting next year. It seemed like the average price was over $8K for a outfitted ram hunt in the stack of mail I got this year. If you decide that route, start contacting them now to figure out where you want to apply for your best chances at the best hunt with the outfitter you like best.

If you have 15 NR sheep points today, I assume you had 14 points going into the 2012 draw.

Going into the 2012 draw, you had 259 NR preference point holders ahead of you. Of this group, 38 drew permits in the Preference Point draw, leaving 221 ahead of you. Some of these may have drawn a permit in the Random draw, but that is not likely given the large number of applicants in the random draw pool from the lower point classes.

Wyoming will release in November information on the number of applicants applying for preference points only in 2012. That information will indicate the level of attrition among the 221 ahead of you. It is my guess that this attrition will be at most 5 or 6, leaving, say, 215 potential NR applicants ahead of you going into the 2013 draw. In addition, there will be about 135 applicants sharing your status of having 15 NR points going into 2013.

Based on the above, my guess is that you have an excellent chance of drawing a NR bighorn permit in Units 1, 6, 8 and 9. You would have about a 70% chance in Units 2 and 7 and about a 35% chance in Unit 4. You probably have a 0% chance in the other units, including Units 3, 5, 10, 18, 19, 20 and 22.

Despite having 15 NR points, you may have to wait a few more years to have a decent chance of drawing a permit in one of Wyoming's better bighorn units.

Good luck in the draw!

HT

Thanks for the info guys. I'm in a difficult situation trying to decide if I shoul try and draw a " lesser " unit or wait for a primo unit. My legs and lungs ar not getting any younger at 45 years old!
Maybe try an d draw a unit 8 and hunt 5 after Oct 1????

One thing you may wish to consider is that there has been talk in WYGFD of upping the random quota from 25% to 50% (reducing the preference quota from 75% to 50%). That would add years to the wait. Also, a big price increase is likely in the works soon.

22 is the unit that allows you to hunt 5 after Oct. 1. It has one nonresident tag and no random tag. It would be good, but a bad one to apply for in years you have no chance at a preference tag as you give up the random draw. With one nonresident tag, figuring odds is a total crap shoot. Just one applicant with more points jumps in and you are done.

If I was in your position and wanted to draw a bighorn tag in 2013 before Wyoming G&F again changes the rules, I'd apply in Units 1 or 2. You would be almost certain to draw in Unit 1 and would have a better than 50% chance in Unit 2, and both units have good rams.

BTW... at 45 you are still a young man!

Area one is a rough area but holds some good rams like any area would. i was up there on a sheep hunt this year and the rams are staying in the timber. makes them hard to find

I have 15 points also, since I'm 50 maybe you should just apply for points until I draw?

We'll draw in the next few years, and as you say the sooner the better I can still get anywhere I want but it take more effort evey year. if I don't draw in the next few years I may have to wait until I can get one of the easy hunts.

Good luck trying to pick an outfitter or a unit, everytime I think I have it nailed down I find someone credible who blows it for me. but I still think getting the tag is the hardest part, the rest will work out it seems.

Stay thirsty my friends

If I had 15 points now, I would try to draw as soon as possible. There are no assurances the draw, preference allocation, nonresident alloation and other things (even your health) will remain constant. I lost it when my computer crashed, but there was a really good paper by a WYGFD biologist detailing unit 1, even migration routes outside thw W, a few years ago... You might find it.. Of course, you will need weeks just in case if going DIY and hoping to find migrating with the once draw forever. Or hire an outfitter if you are limited to two weeks or less.

I agree 100%, time is not your friend in drawings once you can draw. my problem is everytime I think I found a unit I have a shot at everyone else sees the same opening and blows me out of the water. I think the strategy is put in for a unit you almost would have drawn the year before.

I know a guy who hunted unit 1 this year, he got a nice ram but he didn't see many sheep and he did see plenty of hunters. I don't know the unit at all but that indicates the sheep are in a small area of all the hunters are too . I think 13 points drew #1 this year, chances are 500 people with 12-15 poiints will be all over it next year.

Stay thirsty my friends

I live in Unit 1 and have spent a great deal of time in that unit. I have put in for this unit and also in Unit 2. So far, no draw and I now have 12 resident preference points. The sheep in Unit 1 are not actually located in a small area. In fact, they are located in many locations both east and west of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River. You have to really look for those sheep and adjust your hunt to reflect the time of the year you are hunting them.The sheep in this unit really move around. I know people who have drawn Unit 1 who hunted hard and never saw a ram. I know of at least three locations in Unit 1 where I have seen respectable rams with easy access during the latest part of the season. I have also seen rams in remote areas of the unit that are really difficult to get to. My impression with Unit 1 is you better be in good shape and you better have some help if you are going to go DIY. You can also expect to have regular contact with grizzly bears.

just sayin.....

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom