Wyoming Sheep Question

D

DeerKing

I'm a nonresident and have been buying sheep bonus points the last few years. Do I ever have a chance in the foreseable future of drawing a tag in a descent area? Or am I just wasting my time and money? How long of wait do you think I'm looking at? I hear talk of bonus points going up to $50 next year, any truth to that? I sure don't want to drop $50 every year if I won't draw in my lifetime.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been doing the same thing for moose and sheep . If you go to the demand index on there website it gives you the odds . With out max points the odds are dismal . I think around 1 or 2% . I have a feeling many will stop buying the points when it becomes $50 . If they do go to the $50 point next year I think many people are going to try an cash there points in and apply for a tag , which is really going to decrease the odds of drawing a tag . The following year the odds may improve . It's possible in most states to go a lifetime and not draw a tag , but if you don't apply you can't draw .Someone's gonna get lucky it may just be you . Good luck in the draws .

The Wyoming legislature has approved the 20% increase in res. and nonres. license fees the WG&F requested. I assume the $50 application fee was approved as well. If you think it's bad as a nonres without max points, you should try being a resident. A nonres. can draw a sheep in 7 years (area 7) but a resident will have to wait 35 years for the max points to clear out.

I wish the WG&F would reduce nonres. fees as well as lower nonres quotas to 5-10%. They could raise resident fees to make up the revenue loss. This would level the playing field. Nonresidents are given all the advantages over residents because of the exhorbitant fees they are willing to pay.

I spoke with the G&F a couple weeks ago and they said "yes" the rates wil be increasing. Also for the "increased odds" for drawigng deer and elk those, rates will be going up as well.

The reason for the increases is because the Wyoming G&F is totally self-sufficient with their budget. The STATE does nothing to contribute with monies to help them out. So with constantly increasing costs, they are "forced" to raise the fees so they can stay in business. No other state department in WY is self sufficeint. Another tid bit of info...most of the employees of the G&F are "contracted" employees...which means NO STATE BENEFITS. IE: No health care, no retirement, no anything...just a salary or wage. This might help us "hunters" understand why these rates are going up in WY...and then of course the trend continues into other states...Cause WY is forced to raise their rates, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah...etc will all follow suite! If the State of Wy would help subsidize the G&F these rate increases wouldn't be necessary!

Scott G.

I am in the same boat as sheepshooter. I agree with what he says. First, if you want a tag apply now. Even with only 25% of the tags for everyone, over a period of years you have a shot at a tag. If it does go up to $50 then first, a lot of guys just buying points will leave, which will help the long term guys. Second a lot of guys (like me) will then apply for a tag, hurting the odds of getting one of the "anybody" tags.

I have 3 points, getting my forth this year.

I have a question - when you say points are $50, does that mean you pay the $50 wether or not you actually send in the full tag price and try to draw a tag?

Upping the fee will surely help out odds for long term applicants. I am 31 and plan to apply until I die.

Another thing that is killing the F&G's budget is the cost of managing federally protected animals. Case in point is the grizzly. The G&F had to shell out $1.4 million to manage the bears, while the Fed's gave Wyoming only $45,000. Add this to the wolf and it's costs, and it's easy to see why we hunters are being forced to dig deeper into our pockets. Too bad the G&F can't issue tags and open a season for grizzlies and wolves.

I think the nonrefundable application fee will go up to $20. The tag is supposed to go up 20%, making it $1800 or so. I think the interest on that for 3 months would be aroung $30 or so (depending on your credit card special offers), so it will be the same price to either apply or buy the point. I bet drawing the 25% random tag will be tough then. I also think the wait will be less, once the top pools clear out, as some just buying points will quit. I doubt that anyone in the top pool drops out because of this. It is more costly, but nonresidents are looking at a shorter wait than residents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom