Wyoming unit 87 deer

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hi All

Is there anyone out there that has hunted Deer in unit 87 Wyoming? I would love to chat with you about it.

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19 AT 06:44AM (MST)[p]You may want to do a search. Zim on this website had the tag last year. I believe he had a tough time? On the bright side there are a few decent bucks but you'll have to work hard to find. That area had excellent moisture the past couple years plus little winterkill so there ought to be mature bucks available. It's a contravercial subject but I really believe that area has HORRIBLE genetics for 3x bucks. The WG&F has been relatively conservative with tags so I would consider it a "quality" hunt with few other deer hunters. I'll be spending a bunch of time in that area this fall so maybe we can trade notes.

Thanks Jims.
I will keep you in the loop on what we find. My son has the tag and is pretty excited about it.
We plan to hunt the first 10 days, at least we have that amount of time.

Thanks again.

Yes, do a search on here. several posts with some good info. PM me if you have specific questions. I hunted it several years ago and shot a 160 buck on the 6th day. Bottom line from most who have hunted it is a tough hunt for average deer. Like most places there are a couple of good ones but few and far between. Sorry to be a wet blanket. Just telling it straight.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-19 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19
>AT 06:44?AM (MST)

>
>You may want to do a
>search. Zim on this
>website had the tag last
>year. I believe he
>had a tough time?
>On the bright side there
>are a few decent bucks
>but you'll have to work
>hard to find. That
>area had excellent moisture the
>past couple years plus little
>winterkill so there ought to
>be mature bucks available.
>It's a contravercial subject but
>I really believe that area
>has HORRIBLE genetics for 3x
>bucks. The WG&F has
>been relatively conservative with tags
>so I would consider it
>a "quality" hunt with few
>other deer hunters. I'll
>be spending a bunch of
>time in that area this
>fall so maybe we can
>trade notes.

Thank you for this thread, it's always great to hear jims assessment of area 87 and it's "HORRIBLE" genetics. (that were caused by two years of 4 point antler restrictions back in the 1980's)

What is really telling to me is the 1220 residents who applied for 87 as a first choice for 105 tags. They all must want a crack at the big 3 points that run rampant in the area!

I have hunted it before. It is a fun hunt with an opportunity to kill a boomer. The biggest deer I have seen in my life was in that unit.It completely disappeared during the hunt. I agree that there are a lot of 3 points. However, most people won't pass on one that is 25"-28" wide.

There is quite a bit of area and access kind of sucks to different parts of the area. For Example - If you wanted to get from the miracle mile to the ferris mountains, then you would have to go back into Rawlins and drive up to Muddy Gap. If you wanted to get to Buzzard Road from the Miracle Mile, then you would have to drive to Alcova and around. The HMA in the area may have changed this. However after you get off the main drag, the only roads unmarked two tracks and if they go through private not being a county road, then you need permission to cross through private.

You can find deer all over in the unit in October. You can find them on the shores of pathfinder, in the sage flats both north and south of the mountains, fort ridge and independence rock area, ferris mountains, Seminoe mountains, etc

So, it is a good hunt with a high chance of scoring a deer that is at least 24" wide with not a ton of people hunting it. There is also a chance to get truly a special deer in the unit.

TheDudeAbides.
THANK YOU! I really appreciate the information. My son has the tag and is excited.
Is it worth it to bring a Side By Side?

Also, if you ever need any help with Idaho or Utah let me know.

Mike

It is absolutely worth taking a side by side unless you plan on backpacking into the ferris mountains or seminoe mountains. Even then, I would still bring it. Some of the two tracks would be better on a side by side than a truck.

For Example -
>If you wanted to get
>from the miracle mile to
>the ferris mountains, then you
>would have to go back
>into Rawlins and drive up
>to Muddy Gap. If you
>wanted to get to Buzzard
>Road from the Miracle Mile,
>then you would have to
>drive to Alcova and around.

Everything the Dude said is correct except this.^^^

Thank you JM77!
I really appreciate your help, and encouragement.

We are excited about the hunt.

how did your hunt go? thinking about applying for this unit this year
We had a great time. We saw 10-15 bucks per day. Lot of little deer. We did see just 1 buck over 170. My son shot a 160 buck the last day. It was a great time, and I am sure there are some great bucks around, but we found it a little tough for big bucks. We hunted 5 days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom