Wyoming winter kill

regularjoe

So I just searched recent posts to see if this had already been asked...if it has I didn't see it. I am wondering how the antelope are fairing. Can anyone provide an update?

Been a very mild winter, all the pronghorn, deer, and elk I've seen lately look to be in good shape.

I would expect a bit of winterkill, but not much.

Unless we just get hammered in the next month with snow and cold, I'd not worry much about it.

In southwest Wy. we've had a few cold snaps, but it really hasn't been bad as far as snow depth goes. The wardens are saying they're seeing deer in very poor shape and are finding dying and dead ones. There just wasn't "any" growth last summer due to no rain. If the rest of the winter treats us well and we get some rain this spring and summer..... all we can do is hope.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-13 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]Hey Buzz, tell bucklover thats not true !! LOL

Hey ChipC,

Try prying your a$$ off the couch and go look for yourself.

In the last month I've spent some time looking around the entire I-80 corridor, as well as up into the central part of Wyoming between Laramie and Riverton/Lander. Casper down I-25 to Cheyenne.

Animals are looking fine to me.

Or, you can keep believing second had info...

Despite what many claim, a warmer than normal October and November greened things up quite a bit (same thing posted by ICMDEER). Animals did well in those 2 months.

Its always funny when people comment on things they dont have a clue about...you being the best of the best in that category.

I'm sure I'll have yet another banner year in Wyoming this fall...as per usual.

I'm also quite sure you'll continue with your normal high-pitch whining...as per usual.

NW Wyoming looks good. I have seen no indication of serious winter kill. The snowpack on the N. Fork of Shoshone was near normal the last time I checked.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-13 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]I'm also hearing from friends that the BH Basin and adjacent area is in pretty darn good shape for this late into the winter. As BuzzH stated, now we just need to hope things stay okay the next few weeks until temps warm and then pray for some decent Spring/Summer moisture everywhere.

Animals doing good in the park and bighorn county area.

mild winter with few small snow storms.

Horn growth was great last year on the elk and deer. really great with the whitetails I watch.

Antelope are doing great to.

Early spring late winter storms are the real killer so the jury is still out on this. That is why the G&F do their surveys in march

LOOKED A FEW DAYS AGO AND SAW SEVERAL HUNDRED HEAD OF ELK , DEER AND ANTELOPE ALL LOOKED TO BE IN VERY GOOD SHAPE, NO RIBS SHOWING :)

+1,Strang.Most dieoff occurs in March.I spent yesterday on the winter range looking at deer.Not many weak-looking animals.A fair amount of fawns;and they look good.We still have at least 2 months of possible severe conditions to get through,though.Range conditions are the worst I've ever seen.Western Wyoming has been known to get some late season killer snows.If that doesn't happen,we may get by with normal mortality.

In answer to your original question,antelope usually mirror deer survival in most instances.

Ah Buzz come on... just poking a little fun because you were on my a** when I suggested that the critters might be a little stressed this winter because of the drought. Not looking for an argument. I know you have far more experience out there than I do. Sorry if my "high pitch whinning" offended you. I was only expressing an opinion that is obviously shared by others. Anyway, I'm glad the critters are looking ok.

Most summers and falls, I spend quite a bit of time photographing antelope and their country, in Southwest Wyoming. Last year the drought killed a huge percentage of fawns, as compared to the previous years. By late September I usually see upwards of 30 fawns per 20 does. Last fall I saw about 1 fawn per 20 does. So it was the summer kill I am most concerned about. I hope the biologist are on top of this and in the affected areas, are wise enough to cut way back on the doe and fawn permits, until the herd has a chance recoup. If they don't, it will only be a few years before they have to cut way back on all the tags!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4470281.jpg

Have a good one. BB

BB--- I know you're out a lot and information like you're mentioning should probably be passed on to the biologist in the areas you're covering. They probably would be glad to have all the help they can get with the travel reductions the G&F website says the field staff are under right now. The more eyes the better and I'm sure they wouldn't dismiss your call the way you're in the field so much.

We took our sleds out to the Jackson area and rode for a week just getting back yesterday. the animals on the Gros Ventre are in fantasic shape with little snow pack to bother them and feeding is under way

From what I saw so far the concern is not weather but wolves in that area. one elk feeding ground the wolves have run the elk out of, the others are losing several elk to them a a night. we heard and saw wolves several times, I'd have paid $1000 to run some down into the ground and I could have.

We saw about 15 moose, not one calf.

Stay thirsty my friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom