X12 question and D6 buck pic

rookieray

I drew X12 this year and its my first premium tag. I have only hunted D6 and D7 so I am pretty excited. My buddy and I have been looking at maps and talking to anyone with info trying to find a good spot to start scouting when we go in early August. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any info they would like to share regarding general areas to start looking in. We both like backpacking in so we dont mind hard work.

I feel bad asking for info when I dont contribute much, I mostly just read the posts. So I got permission to post some pics of a decent buck a coworker got last season in D6 on public land. Thought you guys would enjoy. Thanks for the help.

3305emerson_buck_1.jpg

5171emerson_buck_2.jpg

My dad goes to Ken's spoting goods website and looks through the previous years photos and goes to the places that most of the deer come from. Google some of the people who were successful the pictures give the name and town where their from.My dad shot a 3x4 in bodie by the ghost town 2 years ago.Good luck!

I have hunted X12 many seasons, beginning back in 1978. Nothing lately but in years past I have taken several bucks, nothing big, 3x3 was the best. Frankly, I have never seen any trophy class bucks in X12. I rode my horse through a herd of about 20 deer once near the Dynamo pond and only one spike in the bunch. I have hunted the areas of Glines canyon, Green Lake, East Lake, West Lake, Virginia Pass, Cameron Meadow, Twinn Lakes and have always seen plenty of deer, just not trophy class. I'm sure there are some trophy bucks to be found and if I was lucky enough to draw again I would hunt up around the Par Value lakes. The pressure from below tends to send the the bucks up high.
Good Luck
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

The "usual" spots that produce some descent sized bucks are always Potato Peak, Bodie Mtn, Bircham Flat, Eagle Peak, Dunderberg Pk. and the sage hills around Dynamo Pond. These are all good places to start out and most likely any DFG employee will tell you the same. Of course there are numerous other places that hold big bucks in X-12..but I wouldnt expect anyone to pass along their "honey holes" online.

Good luck!
HS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom