X6A CA

S

SCOPE

I WAS ABLE TO DRAW A X6A TAG IN CALIFORNIA AND HAVE NOT HUNTED THE AREA IN SEVERAL YEARS. ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SHARE ANY INFO REGARDING THIS ZONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

where are you from? I all so got a X6A tag. I hunted it 5 years ago whith good sucess. Key is privte land in the honney lake valley.
Jay

JAY - I'M FROM OROVILLE (KELLY RIDGE AREA BY LAKE) I HAVE HUNTED THE HIGH COUNTY SOUTH OF ANTELOPE LAKE AND NORTH OF BECKWORTH EARLY TIME OF YEAR WITH GOOD SUCCESS. HAVE NOT BEEN AROUND THE HONNEY LAKE VALLEY AREA. IS THAT AREA A LATER SEASON AS SEEMS TO BE AT LOWER LEVELS.

My Family Drew as well any info you can share? Any Idea were you are camping there?

KElvin

A group of us hunted the unit back in '99 and I was very disappointed in the area that year. Camped at Antelope lake. 6 good hunters and 0 bucks. In fact we talked to many hunters that year and saw one good 3x3 hanging. A couple guys concentrated on wildcat ridge (if I remember the name correctly) and me and another guy poked around in several areas. We literally saw one fork horn in 5 days to begin the season. We did see a number of does and fawns. Very hot and dry that year, couldn't take a step without every deer in the county knowing where you were. Very good fishing in Antelope lake, so take a pole.

One interesting thing I later dug up on the unit: It seems that the deer that California wants us to hunt in the blistering heat of late September, later migrate into Nevada units 021 & 015 where the Nevada hunters get a crack at them in the much better deer hunting weather of early December... go figure.

I would recommend (as is typically my preference with California) hunt as late in the season as possible and pray for weather.

Thanks

I have read in several places the best time is latter in the season. We hired a guild to show us around, well see.

KElvin

We got 5 deer out of 6 people, all small except one which was a good deer, I thankful to the Lord for the trip.

Kelvin,
What did you think of Mark Paul? Did you hunt on the mountain? We kill 5 out of 6 also, I had to eat tag stew.
Talk to you later,
Jay

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom