X6A scouting

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Since I'm not going out-of-state this year, and X6A is in my back yard, I'm going to put as much effort as I can to make this hunt successful for everyone. My wife should have most of the first week off and 2 days off the second week. My son should have the first 4 days off, then 3 days each of the next 2 weekends. And I've got the entire season off.

I've scouted 5 times already and have had multiple sightings of 2 decent 4X4s and a really nice 5X4. Yesterday I saw a couple more 4X4s that I hadn't seen before, one that has a lot of potential. I also saw one of the first bucks that I had multiple signtings of, and thought I had him patterned to a specific area. He was 2 miles away from where I'd seen him 2 times prior.

I'm going to spend the next month in some different areas trying to find a great, out of the way buck. I am going to set up a couple of trail cams, one in each of the canyons I've seen bachelor groups in hoping I'll get a sighting of something bigger that may be nocturnal due to the heat and full moon this weekend.

If I'm unsuccessful in finding Mr. Big the next month, I'll refocus on the bucks I already have located to see what the archery pressure and becoming hard horned does to them.

My biggest question is, how far will bucks relocate when they lose their velvet? My thought is that if they have everything they need, they'll just spend more time in and around timber in the same area?

I'll post pics as I get them.

Slayer, the guy who works for me sells firewood in his off time and he gets most of his product going your way from Westwood. He says that hes been seeing some real nice bucks. I'll see if i can get him to pinpoint where these bucks are.

Good luck on you guys season. We know that you have helped a lot of folks thru these pages. I hope you do well.

BTW, i just finished taking all the old cast iron plumbing out and putting in new ABS pipe under a buddy of yours house. Ran a new main line to the street too. His name is Dan Francis, Cal Fire, at Antelope. He thought you maybe retired?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I guess there are many exceptions, but I have never noticed that these deer move much, except into cover or in response to pressure, in which case they may travel onto a nearby hill, frequently relying on the same water sources as before.

Near roads bull skin said it all they are there just pushed back a little , you scout pre season you can see 20 buck a day+ come archery season you see maybe 5 bucks a day usually the smaller bucks you scouted then come rifle your lucky to see 1 near a road.But if you find that out of the way spot your looking for with no pressure I have watched bucks from August to oct using the exact same area not changing there patterns at all.

Slayer,
So are you not going out of state by choice or did you strike out in all the draws ?
Good luck i hear there are some big Deer in that unit hope you find one.

Oil, My old position required I be availible for fire season thus I PP'd many states except some late deer hunts and late Az elk that I struck out on. I am helping a buddy on a Nv cow hunt, late Sept though.

Joey, Tell Dan "Hi!" I really enjoyed working with those Cal-Fire guys, great group. I went back inside to re-promote, back to the same rank I was in 2010. I had voluntarily demoted to a level where I could work overtime. For 4 years I worked between 1,000-1,400 hours a year of overtime. Got in a great financial position but got tired of the 16 hours shifts, 3 times a week plus occasional weekend. Had to admit to myself that I was too old to keep that up. The last 2 years were the most enjoyable of my career though. The only positive mission CDCR has, training inmates to fight fire at a considerable savings to the tax payer plus getting meaninful work out of them. Additionally, they learn a work ethic and a skill. It's just up to them to use that when they get out. The statistics say the recidivisim rate for inmates paroling from fire camp is about 50%. From inside a prison it's 70%.

Hey Brother,
You all should have a great hunt. You know the area, there are plenty of bucks and as you know dang near anything you do turns to gold!
Hoping to be able to meet you guys for the cow hunt.
Any word on Rich's services? I have not heard anything.
Hope all is well at the mill. Get your arse out of there and enjoy life!

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-14 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]Nimrod, You need to make it for Glenn's hunt. I can only be there the first couple of days since his hunt starts on a Wed, and the family hunt starts the following Sat. We're going early so I'm hoping we can have an animal down the first day.

I have no problem leaving a pack animal there for him but don't think he's comfortable packing himself. If he has help, you or that short, flat top guy, you could help him load the animule into the trailer and he would just have to unload it here.

Plus we'd have a great time. We're leaving the previous Sun AM. And going to scout Labor Day weekend plus Tuesday. We should be good.

But you know him, if I leave, he'll leave. Doesn't think he can get an elk out by himself.

They had a short notice, candle light vigil for Rich a couple of weeks ago. Eva and I attended. It was nice. His entire family was there. It was at the local park. Nice turnout. I heard something about services but have been more consumed with the apprehension of the culprit. When Eva gets home, I'll let you know if services have been announced. She's been following it closely. You know i'm not a Face Book guy.

Slow scouting this AM. One little 2X2, 4 coveys of mountain quail. Thought with the moon gone it would be better. Hit a new area I probably won't go back to.

Hey guys,
I have an A11 tag and spent the weekend up there. Anyone else with an A11 or do you guys just have the Rifle tag?

We basically drove all over the zone. Taylor, Antelope, Diamond and west of Miford. Pretty much most of the well known areas. Got out glassed and walked short distances, but mostly drove and drove. Overall didn't see very much deer for the 2 days of scouting. Counting does, we saw about 20 animals, 3 of which were bucks.

The zone we normally hunt (A1) seems to have A LOT more deer as we didn't find any well used trails, few tracks and no droppings.

I hope this isn't how archery season goes or else it's going to be a tough hunt! The area is absolutely beautiful and looks like fantastic deer habitat. We just couldn't seem to find them.

If anyone else wants to share scouting info, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,
Stuart

Heres a few pics of what we saw:

14577631088_c19089207a_b.jpg

14577804507_c9ee660687_b.jpg

14577590980_3f5d0f3032_b.jpg

14577592430_c93e669a30_b.jpg

vizsla2,
Welcome don't hunt that area but nice pictures that looks like a really nice Buck thanks for sharing.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-14 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]Thanks Oilcan.
I have him marked. Found him in the afternoon, so I'll be checking back in 3 weeks. Hope he stays put.

Since I only need 1, I guess numbers of deer don't really matter, but it sure builds up your confidence.

Also, my kids were asking me what the bear has in its mouth. But if you look closely, its actually one of two cubs that's walking ahead of momma!

Stuart

Thanks Hunter. I'm going to try to get down there. I will let you know. Is the move permanent? Also, any update on Roger?

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Nice buck, and I like the photo of the blue grouse drumming. I have never seen that before, and I would have expected it in the spring time rather than the summer.

Steve,
This was one of the 3. It was actually standing in the road, then trotted down to its bed. I took some pics, hit the gps, then slowly drove off so it wouldn't spook.

Here?s a few more pics of him.

14623146348_5326f76bbc_b.jpg

14809419872_19997144b1_b.jpg

14807401224_48c564fc19_b.jpg

Stuart

Stuart, You have a PM.

DJ, The only thing I've heard about Roger is probably from you, via Glenn.

Yea, they made it permanent Friday, 8/1. Honestly probably the best thing for me, the other place isn't the same anymore....nor would I be allowed to make it the same either. Plus the air conditioning works at the newer place. :)

...I should have been a fireman.....

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

We did OK.
I filled my tag a little too early on a fork, and saw some really nice ones after my tag was punched.

Other buddy got a small 3x3.
Not a lot of animals, but it seems like quality over quantity.

Cheers,
Stuart

That's the way I like it I would rather see one good buck every few days then small bucks all day long.

A bunch of mistakes on my part.

It started with killing one of the bucks I scouted all summer the first hour of the hunt, but not finding him until Tuesday. I ended passing on 6 other bucks, 5 small bucks, since I told myself that I wouldn't pull the trigger unless it was a pig after the opening day mistake.

My son killed a smallish 3X3 the second weekend.

My wife couldn't get on the only other good buck we saw. That's the one good buck I passed. If I had been by myself I probably would have shot. Instead I waited for her and he got over the ridge before she felt comfortable with the shot.

Mid-September all of the good bucks I had been scouting disappeared. I figured they would move into timber once the got hard horned but the only buck I relocated was the buck I saw on the opener. Not sure if they moved far, or moved into timber and became nocturnal.

The first week was hot, and we had a full moon. The second week we had decent weather. One evening my wife and I were going out for the evening hunt and after pulling several blowdowns out of the road with my quad, we came across one too big to move. We went another route on a road that went through green timber. Once we got in the burn, I saw at least 8 trees blow over. I heard several dozen more. We came off the mountain that night and the road looked like a scene out of Jerrasic Park. We moved several trees off of the road and could drive around several more.

Overall I had a great time. We had a very comfortable camp (16X20 wall tent w/cook shack, propane heat, etc.) We spent some quality time together. Other than a couple of days when we hunted all day, it was pretty relaxing. We may do it again in 3-4 years although I think the archery hunt is a far better hunt but the rest of the family doesn't do archery.

Thanks for the story, slayer. It sounds like a good time inspite of not killing a buck. Being in camp with the family is priceless.

Slayer sounds like it was a good time with Family even though it didn't end like you would have liked.
How is the Chukar hunting so far ?

In my opinion, better than the last 2 years. I've has several great hunts, and 2 skunks. 1 more skunk than I had the last 6 years combined.

Quail has been fantastic and doing that tomorrow. This wet, warm weather isn't letting me get out to where I refer to hunt chukar, desert is one big mud hole. Looks like some cold weather the weekend after X-mas. That should open things up.

I'm planning a couple of 3-4 day trips to Nevada in January too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom