X8

P

patrickc

Anybody here hunt this before, or know anyone who has? My daughter and I drew this year. Love the Monitor Pass area but know the zone is more than just that. Any info would be appreciated.

Patrickc,
Did you draw the x8 tag or did your daughter draw the j7 junior tag ? My daughter had the junior tag last year. We spent the entire season there and never seen a deer. Very tough hunt to say the least. We covered alot of country and just couldn't find any thing. Spent alot of time around Heenan Lake and Levithan Mine. The junior tag is only a portion of the unit. That which lays in Alpine county if I remember correctly.I was really lookin forward to this hunt as I had hunted x8 a couple of times befor and my dad had hunted it as a young man. Took some real nice bucks around Levithan Mine. I think the biggest problem with our hunt was the weather right at 75 to 80 degrees. We did see a few bears and caught alot of fish in the Carson. My daughters all time best of 3 lbs 4 ounces. Awesome time just tough hunting. I don't mean to be discouraging just our experience last year. Personally I would hunt it again and I like to start at Levithan Mine and work towards Haypress Flats.Lots of super looking country. Good luck to you and if I can help let me know. Damon

Damon thank you. We both drew X8. I've hunted D5 forever, and like the caples lake area, but have never hunted X8 and Hope Valley and east to Nevada. I'm really hoping we get an early storm and cool things off during the season. If nothing else, just getting ready for the hunt, doing the research, studying maps, and just plain planning for the hunt should be a great time. Looking forward to glassing an aspen stand and seeing a buck. Not much of that down in D5. Thanks again for your help and information.

Pat

I have spent quite an amount of time helping others in the past with this hunt. If you are serious about taking a quality buck in x-8 you will NEED to ditch the idea of just driving around the spots previously mentioned. Sure, you could get lucky I guess...but if I were you and wanted to experience what this zone can really offer, get you legs in shape NOW and and start planning a backpack hunt. I'm not gonna share in a public forum exact spots...but if you do your research, you should have no problem figuring it out.

If you arent a backpacker, here's another option...contact the local packer and do a drop camp style hunt. I'm sure these guys could help you out:

http://www.littleantelopepackstation.com

Good luck with your hunt!
-HS

HS thanks for your information. Packing/hiking in to the Carson-Iceberg is on the list. I'm actually waiting for a reply e mail from the pack station you linked in your note. I can't get my daughter out of school for the whole 2 weeks, so trying to cover as many options as I can, and give us the best shot at a decent buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom