YAMAHA VERSUS HONDA GENERATORS???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Yes!

I Know these are Not Built in the USA!

But I Will NOT Give China one Red Cent!

Looking for Replies from Guys that have these & Reviews!

Dislikes:

Thinking about getting 2- 2000 Watt Generators/Inverters You can Parallel?

Or Should I get one Generator Big enough to Handle the Job?

The 2 Smaller would be way easier for Maneuvering them around!

The Only Time I'd need 2-2000 Watt units is if I was gonna Run the AC on My Camp Trailer!

Pro's?

Con's?

Thanks!

I had a honda eu2000i ($1000) for a decade and sold it last week with my camper. Ran flawlessly, always started and was worth every penny. My new trailer has the onan 2500 propane installed and it's so loud I'm buying new.
Friend has the yamaha 2000 (2 of them at $820 ea).
Hunting partner bought the costco 2000 gen (A-ipower) with the yamaha motor (2 at $499 ea).
I just bought 2 of the A-ipower 2000 at $319 ea. It's every bit as quiet as my honda (52 db) and runs just as well. Same weight too. A-ipower is an American company. The A-ipower come with battery charge and parallel cables and have a 30 amp plug for when they're hooked together.
Westinghouse makes a parallel cable that is universal so you can connect any two gens together.

Last edited:
Hey nfh!

I Didn't Realize ONAN/CUMMINS Built Smaller Generators!

If it Says CUMMINS on it,it must be Good,Right?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20200412-194457_Chrome.jpg

We do a lot repair work on travel trailers and Rv's and we see more Honda gen then any other kinds.
But I can't tell which is best just want is most.

Made in Wisconsin.

I used a small Honda generator for about 15 years. Did a bit of fuel system maintenance once. Tuned it every year, started first, maybe second pull if it was cold.

Now I have a Cummins Onan. Runs like it ought to, push button start.

Last edited:
Hey nfh!

I Didn't Realize ONAN/CUMMINS Built Smaller Generators!

If it Says CUMMINS on it,it must be Good,Right?

Thanks!

I like them. I don't own this particular model. but I have installed maybe 30 of the big 150 kw gens. not ever one issue. all of them had a ford motor in them to.

We have had a dozen or so of the Honda 2000 inverter generators and have never had a major repair on a single one of them, the most common issue is guys over filling the oil and fouling the spark plug.
When we run parallel units we use the 5 gallon boat style tanks and after market gas caps with quick release fuel lines to extend the run time between fuel fill ups.

So!

I've Studied them for a While!

Decided I Might Try the CUMMINS ONAN 2500!

So I Contact a Company that sells them in Colorado!

He's Got the Generator!

But Not the High Elevation Kit!

Jetted at Sea Level Ain't gonna Cut it at 6000'-10,000'!

A .59 cent Jet & Nobody Can or Will Tell me the Jet Style or the Size I need?

Said they're Back Ordered for a Month or So,JUDAS!

All This Stuff that's all of a sudden Back Ordered?

You Ever Think about that?

I'm Wondering Where The Hell it's coming from?

I Think We already know!

A .59 cent Jet & some are trying to Sell the Kit for 59.00!

How Bout it desperatehills?

You know anything on these?

Thanks!

Well Wisz!

It's Kinda Like This here:

You're Lungs are jetted Closer to Sea Level I'm Guessin?

More Oxygen in the Air at Sea Level Versus Higher Elevations!

Less Oxygen in the Air = the Need for less Fuel as well = Smaller Jets/Jetting!

I'd probably Be Tougher At Sea Level!

Somebody that Lives at Sea Level & Ventures in to High Elevations might seem not Quite as Tough!

The Newer Engines/Vehicles can Adjust to different Elevations with all the Electronic BS they have on them!

But Engines that have Carburetors have to be Re-Jetted to Run Right at different/Higher Elevations!

Never used a generator at high elevations. What does the jet kit do?

Good choice. For sure get it for high elevation so it dont lag. Let us know how ya like it..

i installed my parents ohan generator. Think if i remember right was rated at 15kw maybe a 20kw.Super quiet. I programmed it to run once a week without a load and once a month with a load to keep it exercised. They actually have a ford motor. Cant remember which liter. But last summer our town lost power for 12 hours. We had to go to their house. I think i might get a 13kw version for my house. I can install next to my 200 amp main and install my transfer switch. Bad news is the gas comes on other side of the house. Usaully have to get with the gas company and they have to put a different regulator in.

step 2 bessy- mount some wheels and make it your work rig since he keep struggling with that GM sensor.

Thanks Guys!

This Is Just a Lil Ole PISSCUTTER Generator I'll use for My Fifth Wheel!

If I Like it,I'll Buy One more just like it & a Parallel Kit for it!

That Way I Could run the AC!

I Don't Really like Listening to NOYZ When I go to the Mountains!

But Everybody-else has gotta bring all their BS to the Mountain with them!:D

I have 2 Honda 2000 also with the parallel cord also. Easy to start and I only need them both for the air conditioner so I just rotate them every year from home because when I’m in the hills I don’t need AC. They are 14 years old with little repairs. One will run my microwave just fine.

Love my Honda Generators. I have my 2000 watt for years. If I don't want to use my big generator on my trailer. It's really quite. Doesn't use much gas. I have the one with the battery charger. It has saved my butt more then once ! Also a 3000 Honda with electric remote control start . Just changed my dads generator on his trailer to a Honda 7000. It is quieter and doesn't vibe rater the trailer like the junkie one it came with. Its mounted on the tongue. I have never used the Yamaha ones. But a friend bought one and it was having troubles on the mountain. It wouldn't stay running. So I let him use my Honda.

I like them. I don't own this particular model. but I have installed maybe 30 of the big 150 kw gens. not ever one issue. all of them had a ford motor in them to.
That did it Elk won't buy a ford LOL I say if it has a Ford motor it must be good......

Here is your Generator. Bring plenty of Grand kids to operate it or in Elks case, large breasted women.

Jagerdad :)

Well!

Don't Know if I'll get the ONAN CUMMINS or Not?

Several Online Sellers have them advertised!

But They Don't have them in Stock!(A Famous Amazon Trick!)

All High Elevation Kits are Back ordered & The Generators are too!

Most People Selling them are having them Shipped from the Factory!

I Did Find a Guy that has one,no Box,No paperwork,No Owners Manual And another Seller Told Me ONAN CUMMINS wouldn't Warranty it!

So I Don't Know?

I've Got a Makita Generator Right Now that has Damn few Hours on it & Yes I Broke the Pull Rope!

The Pull Rope/Recoil is Located mid-way in between the Engine & the Generator,What a Bittch!

The Part is Obsolete!

Yes,with a Major Tear-Down I can Probably Fix it!

Sounds Like This ONAN Might have the Same Issue/Recoil Location?

You need to be logged in to write a review.
WRITE A REVIEWProduct Reviews
  1. Product review of P2500i

Posted by Tom of Alaska on 2019-12-13
    I purchased the Onan Cummins P2500i as a replacement for our Yamaha EF2000is. First thing is the Yamaha extended run kit (oil fill tube, mag pickup and fuel cap) and parallel cables fit. For extended run capabilities, you need to return the fuel evaporator tube back (connected to the carbon canister to meet CARB standards) to your extended run tank's vent. Easy to start is a plus, a larger engine for the same weight means more peak power. Now for the downside. The spark plugs are easy to change for a good reason - they need to be changed regularly. The oil change interval is considerably shorter than the Yamaha or Honda service period. The pull cord fractured (at the handle) in the first weeks of operation even though it was never stressed. You have to disassemble the case and remove just about everything to get to the pull cord case. The pull handle is molded and can not be re-threaded - I put an old Honda pull handle on it and vola. There is no ability to fully shut off the fuel system and can it not be put on a plane or boat where it might tip and leak fuel (see the return fuel line description). The Ducar engine is very similar to the Honda and has the same problem with the crankcase ventilation tube freezing up in cold weather. Honda has a kit to fix this but the generator design is to new and not as well supported as the Honda. Someone should make a heater tube assembly to prevent this. Onan has been a very good generator manufacturer but has virtually no on-line support other than an exploded diagram. Also, there are no parts available yet and has very limited service organizations.

Looks like Both YAMAHA & HONDA are Made in CHINA & Thailand?

Anybody know of a USA Built Generator?

I Would Tolerate a JAP Built Honda or Yamaha But Piss on China!

I Ain't Lowering My Standards!

You're WRONG Homer!

I Want One!

And I Want a QUALITY One!

Not Some MADE IN CHINA BS TRASH!

Pull Ropes/Recoils Do & Will Break!

I Don't Like the idea of a Complete Teardown just to replace a Pull Rope!(((Maybe there's not a Choice?)))

(((Got one of them sittin here now!)))

Would Be Nice To Buy a QUALITY,MADE IN THE USA,BUILT WITH AMERICAN PRIDE Item Now wouldn't it?

And Yes I'd Damn Sure Pay a little Extra For it if the Option was available!

I Surely Didn't know HONDA & YAMAHA had Gave in to China like We Have!

So Homer,You Want Me to Buy Some Foreign Built PIECE OF TRASH & Feel Good about it?

WAMFJ This World has become!

you don't really want one ....you just want to yap....

Well the guy that got the Yamaha generator . Saved a few bucks. But went back and bought the Honda generator he wanted after the fact. Buy once cry once !

Hey Homer?

Been Trying to Figure that out Myself!

I Did Find this Here:

Are Cummins engines made in China?

But not everyone knows that Cummins have facility in China, and what kind of products are manufactured in China. ... There are 5 engine factories in China now, and all of them are a joint-venture Company with Chinese. They are: Dongfeng Cummins Engine Company which is called "DCEC" for short.

where is the Onan actually made??

You're a little Late on this one here Homer!

I E-Mailed standby over a week ago!

They Have the Generator Advertised for sale on the Internet!

As Well as the High Elevation Kit You've Posted!

They Have Neither one of them on Hand & Claim they are Back ordered!

Ya!

I'm Babblin again!

But in an earlier Post this is the Company in Colorado I mentioned!

You're really gonna Like My Next Post!

this is too easy bess....

Like I said....are you sure you really want one??

So I Find the ONAN CUMMINS Generator We've been Talking about at a Local RV Store!

I Walk up to it & I Notice the Gas Cap is not on! (On Display!)

So I Attempt screwing it on!

It Does not want to screw on!

I'm Thinkin WTH?

The Owner Walks over & He Gives it a Try!

That Cap Ain't Going on the Tank!

I Probably would of Bought it,but not with a Cap that doesn't fit the Tank!

I Asked Him Where it was Made?

He Said I Don't know,but it's Got ONAN Stamped on it!

I'm Thinking,Yup,where's the Quality Control at?

I Came Home,Tuned a Honda Up that's several years old,Changed the Oil,Run all the Old Gas Out,Put New Gas in it & it's Purrin!

Probably just old enough to be Made in JAP PAN!

I Don't know where the ONAN CUMMINS is Built,but it Doesn't Matter,FRICKEN thing shoulda never left the Factory without a workable Gas Cap!

Ya,I'm Babblin again Homer!

And Maybe you were Right the other day when You Said:

You sure you Really want that Generator?

And Just one last Thing Homer!

Saying I Don't want the Generator is kinda like Saying I Don't want the AC to Work in My DIRTY-MAX!:D

It's Just Irritating anymore to Have Sellers Claiming they Have Things in Stock when in Fact They Do Not!

I Even asked the Gal on the Phone at Standby if She'd place a Note saying the items were Back-Ordered,But To NO AVAIL!

Well here is my conclusion. Bessy you cant find your GM sensor, cant find a generator and now cant cant find made in america. This is a sign of early on set alzheimer's

Hey nfh!

Can't Find the Sensor because it Ain't Got One!

PAY ATTENTION!

I Found the Generator Yesterday!

I Found a Defect on it within Seconds!

Would You Have Bought it?

It's Not Now I Can't Find MADE IN AMERICA!

It's I've seen the NOT MADE IN AMERICA for Many,many Years!

And you're Right!

oldtimers SUCKS!:D

I Guess Most People Don't Give a Rats ASS!

As Long as they Can Buy Their CHEAP Built,LOW QUALITY,NO PRIDE,F'N TRASH,and Put Money in Foreign Countries Pockets when We could be giving Our Own People Jobs,that's all that matters I Guess!

It'd be Nice if a Better Quality,Built in the USA Product was offered & I Would Pay extra for it!

I have had a Honda and a Yamaha both are good, I like some features on the Yamaha better the gas shut off so it doesn't sit for a year with ethanol in the carb. And the high altitude jets are for above 2500 feet so just about anywhere you hunt in the west they will do nothing a waste of $$. Sold my Honda and have had the Yamaha for about 6 years now and works perfictaly and I think they are made in Japan.

Hey cc?

You Might wanna double Check where the YAMAHA was Built!

JAPAN Would be Awesome Compared to the CHINA Built JUNK!

I have had a Honda and a Yamaha both are good, I like some features on the Yamaha better the gas shut off so it doesn't sit for a year with ethanol in the carb. And the high altitude jets are for above 2500 feet so just about anywhere you hunt in the west they will do nothing a waste of $$. Sold my Honda and have had the Yamaha for about 6 years now and works perfictaly and I think they are made in Japan.

I always run pure gas in my chainsaw and my Honda generator now. In California you have to sign for it and promise you won't run it on the street subject to a fine. It's about $5.50/gallon but worth it, IMO. My generator is at least 20 years old and purrs all day long.

I always run pure gas in my chainsaw and my Honda generator now. In California you have to sign for it and promise you won't run it on the street subject to a fine. It's about $5.50/gallon but worth it, IMO. My generator is at least 20 years old and purrs all day long.
I run ethanol free gas in my chainsaw and lawn mower also because no way to shut off gas. Only 3 stations in NM sell it, lucky for me one is in Taos my hometown.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom