YAY!!! For climate change!!!

JPblind

:love::love::love: By far my favorite climate change of the year. I remember my younger years growing up in minnesota (later Montana high school years). Just smelling the changing season and the sounds of migrating geese is the best time of climate change. Starting off the hunting season shooting grouse with my uncledad later moving on to deer then finally trapping season (late 80's) when a buck mink would bring $65. Those are some better memories. So like I said YAY for climate change best time of year!!!!

Yesterday I saw and heard the first flock of Aleutian geese since April...Climate change has arrived!

Yesterday I saw and heard the first flock of Aleutian geese since April...Climate change has arrived!
I had to google them to see what they were. I was shocked to read that one of these 'cackling geese' shot in Oregon was 22 yrs., 8 mons. old according to its leg band.

I had to google them to see what they were. I was shocked to read that one of these 'cackling geese' shot in Oregon was 22 yrs., 8 mons. old according to its leg band.
Back in the 70's the entire population was down to about 700 birds total. Now it's up to over 350,000.

They only nest on certain islands in the Aleutian Islands. Back in the day, the Russians planted foxes on the islands for the fur and they killed off most of the geese. We killed off all the foxes and the geese have made a come back. A success story, if you like Aleutian geese.

Back in the 70's the entire population was down to about 700 birds total. Now it's up to over 350,000.

They only nest on certain islands in the Aleutian Islands. Back in the day, the Russians planted foxes on the islands for the fur and they killed off most of the geese. We killed off all the foxes and the geese have made a come back. A success story, if you like Aleutian geese.
I read the stuff about the foxes. That began way back in the 1800s. It sounds like they actually winter in CA rather than going farther south.

I read the stuff about the foxes. That began way back in the 1800s. It sounds like they actually winter in CA rather than going farther south.
They winter mostly down around Modesto, CA. Stanislaus County.

I killed about 30 Aleutians last hunting season. I have a private ranch.

They winter mostly down around Modesto, CA. Stanislaus County.

I killed about 30 Aleutians last hunting season. I have a private ranch.
Neat. I've hunted geese only once in southern IL between the Mississippi R. & Horseshoe Lake. I had a friend who lived in nearby Olive Branch. Killed two Canadas with my Citori 20 ga.

This is my friend, Jim...

goosecall.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom