Youg Hunter Update

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-13 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]MM Friends,

I've been working with the young hunter that was mentioned in earlier posts and has been and supported by MM members. Special thanks to rutnbull for donating a rifle - a Weatherby 270, and to Canvsbk for giving the young man a Leupold 4-12 scope. Rutnbull also got him a couple of gun cases, both hard and soft ones and we have used those quite a bit.

I paid for him to apply for bull elk, cow elk and buck antelope licenses. Luckily, he drew all three licenses.

I have spent quite a bit of time working up a hand load for him. Tried out Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Barnes and Sierra bullets. (I'm glad I had lots of 270 bullets on hand because relaoding components have been hard to get.) All of the loads shot pretty well. It is an accurate rifle. I emailed some of the pictures to eelgrass and he's going to post them into this thread later. Sorry I have not taken the time to figure out the pic posting on MM.

This young man is special. He is 14 and just started high school. He already knows that he wants a military career as a Navy seal, and he has all of the knowledge to get there. He's in the Civil Air patrol and knows more about the U.S. military than 90% of Americans. He even discussed the mess in Syria with me last week. He's truly determined. His uncle was a Navy seal and has talked about the difficulty. My young friend already has his plan in place. He is going to "early enlist" and the day after high school graduation, he's heading to basic training. Then to SUD schiool and then hopefully to become a seal.

He and I are going after a bull elk, a cow elk and a buck antelope. I've got some good places lined out for the antelope and the cow elk, and we're hopeful on the bull as well.

Check out his first two shots out of the new rifle in the pictures after eel posts them. (I had already gotten the rifle pretty well sighted in for him so he'd have a good first epxerience.) Just under 1/2" at 100 yards, and we'll adjust the scope after we get the final load selected.

I am teaching him to use sand bags off of the bench instead of using a lead sled or something of that sort. I feel like the bags teach him better shooting habits. We're likely going out to shoot some prairie dogs next week, so we'll burn up more ammo.

This has been a very positive experience for me. This young man is great; well mannered, pays attention, is instinctively smart and is going to be a great member of our society. I'm thankful I got to meet him and want to be sure that everyone knows the support that has been provided has and is making a difference.

Sorry I screwed up the spelling in the title. I reread the text but not the title. New computer and I don't have spell check set just yet.

Jim

It sounds like every thing is going well and came together. It also sounds like you have put in ALOT of time. I for one would like to thank you for your time and expertise and sharing with a young man to help him out. More will come from this then a couple well earned animals. Both to the young man and your self.

Big KOTOS to you!!! Best of luck on the hunts.

Here are the photos. My pleasure Jim and thanks for all you and everyone else is doing. Good shooting form young man! Have a great hunting season. It looks like you're ready!

204september_2013_004.jpg

817september_2013_005.jpg

4665september_2013_006.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom