Young Son's hunt

huntFX4

My 13 y/o drew the general deer here in Utah. We spent most of the summer scouting for his youth bull tag and not much on deer scouting. I planned to hunt where I had found several bucks on the muzzleloader hunt last year.

This is the week before hiking water up to our chosen campsite at 8000 feet.
1169720181018104359.jpg

Here we have made it up to camp on Monday evening. He was carrying 30 pound pack plus his rifle.
1346220181024133616.jpg

First dinner after setting up camp with a fork I had to whittle out of aspen because I forgot to pack utensils.
3140120181023093617.jpg

Glassing for the big guys.
1220320181024110608.jpg

We couldn't find any good bucks in the area, only a 3 point too far away to get to in time. We went to try to get him in the morning, but he never showed himself again, so we packed up after two days and moved out. We chose to hunt a couple of other areas on the range, but were having little luck even finding a buck. Others I spoke to were having the same problem. We climbed to different glassing areas recommended by friends but couldn't locate a good buck. Did find plenty of does and elk but no bucks. Finally on the last day he could hunt, I found this little 2 point over a mile away, just over an hour before sunset. He said he wanted it so off we went. It was a grueling hike over very steep and rocky terrain to get into range. He crawled 20 yards across open ground with the deer watching him and made it to a shooting point at 350 yards. We had practiced many days out to 300 so I told him where to put his cross hairs and take his time. The deer jumped at the shot with a good hit to the chest. It was a long way back down so we chose to return in the morning to bring him home.
I have to say, he never once faltered in the hunt, no matter how heavy the pack or how long and steep the hike. Never complained and just pushed forward with a determination seldom seen in young people these days. This is a trophy just by the experience of the hunt and how well he did. I'm very proud of him.

Happy young man with his first deer.
6807820181026113501.jpg

Proud father and son.
5003420181026113536.jpg

That's awesome! Didn't sneer at a 2 point and kicked ass up and down to be successful--without bitchen'!

Congrats young man, I foresee more big game in your future with the fortitude you displayed. Dad is quite proud.

What awesome memories and you are teaching him the right way to hunt and earn it. Great first buck!

That's the way to break a youngin in if you ask me. Throw a hearty pack on his back and take him to where his mind can be free of society! Thanks for teaching your son the ways and congrats on a successful adventure.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

That's awesome !!! Thanks for sharing. You both will remember that for a life time!. I still remember my first hunt like it was yesterday and it was 38 years ago.

Great stuff. Good times and great memories made. Very cool....

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>My 13 y/o drew the general
>deer here in Utah. We
>spent most of the summer
>scouting for his youth bull
>tag and not much on
>deer scouting. I planned to
>hunt where I had found
>several bucks on the muzzleloader
>hunt last year.
>
>This is the week before hiking
>water up to our chosen
>campsite at 8000 feet.
>
1169720181018104359.jpg

>
>Here we have made it up
>to camp on Monday evening.
>He was carrying 30 pound
>pack plus his rifle.
>
1346220181024133616.jpg

>
>
>First dinner after setting up camp
>with a fork I had
>to whittle out of aspen
>because I forgot to pack
>utensils.
>
3140120181023093617.jpg

>
>Glassing for the big guys.
>
1220320181024110608.jpg

>
>We couldn't find any good bucks
>in the area, only a
>3 point too far away
>to get to in time.
>We went to try to
>get him in the morning,
>but he never showed himself
>again, so we packed up
>after two days and moved
>out. We chose to hunt
>a couple of other areas
>on the range, but were
>having little luck even finding
>a buck. Others I spoke
>to were having the same
>problem. We climbed to different
>glassing areas recommended by friends
>but couldn't locate a good
>buck. Did find plenty of
>does and elk but no
>bucks. Finally on the last
>day he could hunt, I
>found this little 2 point
>over a mile away, just
>over an hour before sunset.
>He said he wanted it
>so off we went. It
>was a grueling hike over
>very steep and rocky terrain
>to get into range. He
>crawled 20 yards across open
>ground with the deer watching
>him and made it to
>a shooting point at 350
>yards. We had practiced many
>days out to 300 so
>I told him where to
>put his cross hairs and
>take his time. The deer
>jumped at the shot with
>a good hit to the
>chest. It was a long
>way back down so we
>chose to return in the
>morning to bring him home.
>
> I have to say,
>he never once faltered in
>the hunt, no matter how
>heavy the pack or how
>long and steep the hike.
>Never complained and just pushed
>forward with a determination seldom
>seen in young people these
>days. This is a
>trophy just by the experience
>of the hunt and how
>well he did. I'm very
>proud of him.
>
>Happy young man with his first
>deer.
>
6807820181026113501.jpg

>
>Proud father and son.
>
5003420181026113536.jpg

When we lived in Utah my son never had to work to get one. Way to start out right !

Well at least you didn't ruin on his first hunt. I expected something different for the last picture. :) Congrats on a good time hunting with your boy. Isn't that what it is really all about !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom