Your best hunt

justr_86

Long Time Member
What was you most memorable hunt? Doesn't have to be the biggest buck or bull you have taken. Share the story of your most memorable hunt.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-10 AT 05:00PM (MST)[p]I'd have to say all of them!
Many of them never had a dead animal involved!
I'd say seeing my son/nieces/nephews/friends gettin it done have been some of the best!

edit:hopefully the best is still yet to come?

I agree with B. I can't just pick one hunt. Antelope hunting in wyoming is hard to beat though.

My most memorable hunt was my first spike bull with a bow. I had only been bowhunting for 2 years, and hadn't killed anything. After spotting some elk early in the morning, me and my best buddy Lance headed over to try and put a stalk on them. We were bugling trying to locate them, when all the sudden I saw a big six point about 120 yards ahead of me. He began fighting with a 5x3 bull, so while they were fighting, we made the most of it and moved in as fast as we could. With them was a 2x1 and since i was in a spike only unit, he was the one I was after. We kept cow calling, and had both the big bulls come in and bed. The bigger one bedded at 9 yards, and the other at 11 yards from us! The spike betted like 70 yards or so away. After about an hour and both our knees killing us, the bulls slowly got up and walked away. We kept calling, to try and get that spike in close. The bigger bulls got kinda anxious and began to get out of there. The spike however was curious, and kept coming over for a look. He made it to 63 yards, and I let him have it. My arrow hit perfect, and angled up a little bit and dropped him in his tracks. We were both so shocked that it had happened. I'll never forget the looks on eachothers face as he fell and we looked at eachother. Freaking awesome. The only bad part was the 2 days, and roughly 10 miles we had to hike to get him down in 2 trips. So worth it though. It was awesome.

B_BOP_A_LU_LU (192 posts)

I'd have to say all of them!
Many of them never had a dead animal involved!
I'd say seeing my son/nieces/nephews/friends gettin it done have been some of the best!

edit:hopefully the best is still yet to come?

+1

Probably the best hunt i ever had, or one of the best anyway, was in the Ruby Mts of Nev. back in the early 80's. I didn't draw a tag that year but my Uncle who lived in Lamoile(sp) did and his ol high school buddy also drew so i was the brawn and these two long time serious but broken down buck hunters were the brains.

My uncle patrolled a large ranch on the Elko side of Secret Pass, both sides of the road, for several miles each way. The owner wanted no hunting or outfitters to go thru his prop. Being my Unc was Deputized, he got the job of patrolman and for his services, we got to hunt, about the only ones on that ranch for many years. Talk about bucks! 30-40 a day anyway and we didn't count the little guys. My job was to open gates, spot deer, and use the big glass on them to advise or not if they were shooter class bucks or not.

That year, i put my Uncle on a 35" not too high but super heavy horn 3X4. Huge bodied old buck and one shot later, we soon had him in the truck. I also helped locate a Nice clean 30" 185 class 5x5 for my Uncles bud. Two tags, two dandy bucks!! This was over the course of a 3 week hunt and even going in knowing that i wasn't getting to shoot one myself, the combo of being with these two old friends, Family, and the awesome muley country we hunted daily, all together made this one of my best hunts ever!

Joey

Very easy for me.

I was 15(1978).I had bought and practiced with a Browning Cobra bow and a few aluminum arrows with Bear razorheads all summer.I went hunting with my Daddy ,his friends, and their sons on our lease in east TX. Back then NOBODY bowhunted for deer or really even heard of it in our area.Everyone else was just camping or sqirrrel hunting.

Long story short,I lucked up and a doe walked within 20 yards of me as I was hiding in a blowdown.Somehow I put an arrow through her ribs and she ran off.I ran back to camp to tell Daddy and the other men.Nobody believed me at first but then they came to haelp me find her,still skeptical.My Daddy tracked her and found her. He and another friend's Dad carried her back to camp on a pole they had cut.I will NEVER forget the look of pride on his face.

It won't ever get any better than that....

Like most all of them have a special place but I do have one that stands out the most. My 2005 Genral Season Muley hunt is the most memorable. It was the first time I had touched American soil for 1 year 7 months of deployment and extensions.. My Dad and I had made it a point to just be me and him. Just being on the mountain again and with my Dad made it above and beyond my other hunts. I ended up shooting my best buck up to that time which added to the experience.

Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

My old browning cobra is still hanging on the garage wall. It got my first buck and back then you could also get one with a rifle in the same year so got one with the .270 also. Those hunts rank pretty high.

I am also having trouble narrowing it down to just one hunt. I will figure one out and share.

Great stories guys keep them coming!

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have had lots of very fun hunts through the many years, but one of my very fun years happened in 1987.

A buddy and I back packed into the roadless area of the Bookcliffs. He killed his buck opening morning and I helped him pack it back to the truck, some 6 plus miles. He went home to take care of the meat and I hiked back in and hunted until he returned some 4 or 5 days later. At times we were 20 miles from our truck and we spent several nights out with nothing but a camp fire. I passed quite a few different buck deer because we were too far from the truck. On the 10th and final day I hiked to the ridge top for a final morning hunt and ended up killing filling my tag. Right after I killed the deer pictured below, I had two huge bucks within 20 yards that all I could was watch.

We came home for about a week and then headed to Wyoming where my buddy killed a 354 bull early in the hunt. He again left and went home to take care of it and returned to help me, but by the time he got back, I had already killed my bull.

Earlier in the spring, we had both take nice bears.

All in all it was a very fun year.

94240-2deer.jpg

59550-2elk.jpg

Have a good one BB

I think my solo unguided caribou hunt in Alaska is probably my best hunt to date. It took place about 12 years ago. I had always dreamed of hunting Alaska and decided I better do it before it was too late.

The hunt started out in Illiamna, AK. where my outfitter, Mark Kneen picked me up at the airport. He took me to his home,on the outskirts of town, where I was able to purchase my license and tag. He has a couple cabins for guests, so I settled in to wait for the next morning's departure. The rest of the day was spent checking the zero on my rifle, a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. and just enjoying the beauty of the surrounding country.

The next morning I awoke to overcast skies and light rain. Mark said it was too socked in to fly, so there was nothing to do but wait it out. I had just about given up for the day when Mark came to my cabin and said to bring all my gear over to his Super Cub, as we would give it a try. In less than an hour we were off. The "runway" is the gravel road in front of his house!

We flew about 125 miles north and started to see small groups of caribou. The farther north we got the more animals we saw. When Mark figured we had plenty around, he looked for a place to land. He found a fairly flat hill and set it down nicely, after buzzing it to drive off a group of caribou!

We picked out a good spot for the tent and I started setting it up as he unloaded the rest of my gear. When he saw that I was settled, he took off with plans to fly over in a day or two to check on me.

He no sooner left when I realized he had taken off with my sleeping bag! I couldn't believe it. My first thought was to gather fire wood, but as you can see from the picture, there wasn't much to be had. I was dreading spending my nights without being able to sleep but there was nothing to do but try to at least stay dry. About an hour before dark I heard a plane. Sure enough, here came Mark! When he chucked my bag out the door on the fly, I was the happiest man in the world!

The next morning at first light, my hunt would start.(you can't hunt the same day that you fly) When I awoke and peeked out the tent I was surrounded by caribou in every direction! A quick look didn't reveal any real good bulls, so I was at least able to get dressed before starting the hunt. I walked about 200 yards from camp and started glassing. I saw several good bulls on the next ridge but they were on the move, and I didn't fell like chasing them with all the animals around. About an hour went by when I decided to move to the other side of the hill I was on. As I stood up, I saw the tips of some antlers comming over the hill right at me! Shortly the bull I shot and 7 cows were less than 50 yards from me walking to my left. A quick assessment showed double shovels, good bez, rear points and nice even tops. BOOM!! Before I knew it, my hunt was over.

The rest of that day was spent getting the meat back to camp in the four deer bags I had. I put the meat in a patch of Alders about 100 yards from camp, as Mark advised, to avoid any confrontations with the many bears in the area. About midnight, I awoke to rain falling and decided to grab my flashlight and plastic to cover my meat. I also took my rifle, as you might imagine! It rained all night and all the next day. It poured hard the entire time. About 4;00PM it let up and I went to check my meat. The bags were all ripped open, and what meat was left was scattred everywhere! As it hadn't froze yet that season, the flies were all over it. I salvaged what I could which was about 30 pounds.

While waiting for Mark to pick me up, I counted 24 good bulls around camp, but none better than the one I shot.

When Mark showed up the next day, he said it was probably wolverines that had gotten into my meat. The rest of the trip was uneventfull, for which I was greatful!

5792caribou051305.jpg

I hope this year will be my most memorable.

25 years ago my dad took me on my first deer hunt. After all those years of always putting us kids first, I talked my Dad into burning his points this year on a muzzle loader elk tag here in Utah. He turned 65 a month ago and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 2 years ago. I decided that it was now or never and we decided on a unit we were familiar with and should be guaranteed to draw. I won't be packing a gun on this hunt, hopefully I get a chance to repay dad in some small way for everything he taught us growing up and all the sacrifices he made. Hopefully we get to put one last bull on the ground with him pulling the trigger.

Lots of great hunts over the years, it is strange to be in a situation where one chapter of my hunting life is closing (with dad) at the exact same time that the next is beginning (with my kids)

One thing that I have learned, through me and dads ups and downs over the years is there isn't much that can't be resolved 100 miles from home sitting around a campfire in the cool October air.

Thanks Dad.

Alaska 2008, dad and I were flying out of Bethel on our way into the wilderness. It had only taken us 12 years to finally get to this point, yes we were excited. A little back ground to understand why this is was my favorite hunt. Dad started applying for the Minnesota moose tag every year he could since they started a season in the 60's or early 70's? Well he never drew a tag, while others around him had drawn up to 3 times. My first year of being eligible was when I was 16 years old, so it was dad, my brother and myself on the tag for one moose. I ended up shooting a 50" that year. Yes dad was happy as could be but I knew deep inside he wanted to shoot a moose. So I got him to agree we'd go to Alaska and get a moose.
After we were dropped off for our hunt we couldn't believe it had taken us this long to get there, we were already happy and the hunt didn't even start till the next morning.
Even though we set our alarm clock, we didn't need it, we were awake 30 minutes prior to it going off. After a quick and nervous breakfast we were in our boat and motoring to our starting point.
30 minutes after easing up to the bank we had a bull raking his antlers on the other side of some very thick tag alders. So thick in fact that after he left we went through them and had to crawl on our hands and knees in places to make it. After sounding like a herd of elephants going through that mess we move on to the next area that we had seen from the air the day before.
Arriving to the lake we discover there was a nice beaver dam there to cover our approach. Sneaking up to the top we spot a cow about 100 yards away, bad part was the wind was headed in her direction. A couple minutes pass and she winds us, heading out of the area with no bulls in tow. We immediately start searching the lake edge with our binoc's and we both spot 3 bulls on the far end of the lake headed our direction. One of them looked to be a shooter and this was dad's oppurtunity. See long before we got to this point (months) I told him that he would be the first one to shoot a moose up here. I would not come home with a moose if he didn't.
We split up slightly and start towards them in a head on course. About 20 minutes later, I hear the first shot, then a reload after 4. He puts the fifth round in him to prevent him from getting back in the water. I knew our dream of dad's moose had just come true.
On my way out to dad and his moose, I run into one of the other two bullwinkles that we had seen. Not being the bull I wanted, I just did a little practice calling on him for a couple minutes. He finally tired of me and left.
Upon reaching dad, smiles that seemed fake they were so big showed upon our faces. The back slapping, hugging and story telling had just started when I happened to look over my shoulder to see a big bull come out of the willows about 200 yards down the shore!
I'm scrambling to find my binoc's to see if he's a shooter, you see I wanted to top my 50" from minnesota. As I'm racing through my back pack dad with poor eyesight and no optics :) starts yelling he's a shooter! Shoot him! shoot him! I grab my gun that way leaning against a log but water had gotten on the scope from the wet grass. Couldn't find him in the scope, he's still yelling at me Shoot! he's heading into the brush, Shoot!
Finally, I find him in the cross hairs and boom! we see the water fly off him from the bullet impact. Dad screams hit him again, boom! more water. After 4 shots, he's still trying to get into the alders, no time for a reload, dad hands me his gun. Two more shots and the massive bull is down.
We couldn't believe what just happened, we were shell shocked! 90 minutes into our hunt we had our 2 bulls down 250 yards apart. They ended up being a 42 1/2" and a 53 1/2". Too bad it took us 12 years to get to this point but we were more than happy to have this moment! Our only complaint was that, we had to pay a little extra with Alaska airlines to come back early. That way I could use my remaining leave to hunt OTC elk here in CO. Couldn't complain to long though, I was able to shoot a 270 class 5x6 the first night out with dad :)
In 2011 we are headed up for our second dream hunt ;-)
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

All of them have left me with great memories, but my favorite would be a management hunt in 1999. 5 days spent with 3 great friends, when I got my first and only coyote, and my biggest deer. Day 6 was spent with my wife filming some awesome muleys before driving home.

Yelum

294499deer2sm.jpg

I think it comes down to family, friends, good food, enjoying the outdoors an nature. The bonus.. geting the trophy. It's just about being out in the good Lord's country with the people that matter most to you. That makes huntn....

That's a tough one. Taking my two sons antelope hunting at the same time, hunting deer with my dad, hunting deer in Idaho with friends, solo Antelope, Elk and Deer in Nevada.

My most memorable hunt was 12 years ago when my daughter, then 10 years old, shot her first deer. It was a buck, and not only a buck but the largest whitetail I had been close enough to shoot when I had a tag. The buck was a large 8-point main frame with two "devil point" kickers just above the bases. This buck scored 140 5/8 BC gross and only had 3" deducts for non-symetry. One of the most beautiful (not largest) typical whitetails I have seen to date. She still shows off the bucks picture and mount to everyone she meets. I will keep the memory of that hunt until I die.

Phantom Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-10 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]My best hunt was some 15 years ago in Carrizozo N.M. and my first attempt to take a Speedgoat with a bow, a Browning compound using aluminum shafts and Thunderhead Broadheads... I saw this buck feeding solo with his back to me at about 200 yards away and proceeded to put the stalk on him using the yuccas as cover.
When I finally crawled within 50 yards he busted me and ran a little ways only to stop and look at me I figured about 65 yards out,With the wind in my face I kept on crawling while he stared trying to figure out what I was and once again I closed in to 50 yards why he didn't bolt and run I have no idea.
I rose to me knees and sent an arrow at him knowing my top pin was set at 50yds and it hit him far back and low in the gut and zipped him open like ziplock baggie and his entrails fell out but he kept standing but unable to run. I got up and charged him to 20 yards and put another arrow right through his shoulder and he dropped like a rock. I never thought it would be possible to stalk and poke a Speedgoat with an arrow out in the open if I hadn't done it myself.
The buck was 14 1/2 inches long.

878antelope_buck_bow_kill_large.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Great stories!

I think I narrowed it down. It was before I was old enough to hunt big game. My dad, brother in law justin, grandpa, family friend richard and I were hunting elk in utahs open bull unit. My dad and I were walking through some cedars and sand dunes. Just as the sun was coming up, right at legal shooting light. We topped a dune and a 4 point bull was raking a cedar tree. My dad shot and put him right down. We got his bull out at about 10 am. Justin richard and I were riding down an old road and cut a fresh set of tracks. Justin and I took off on the tracks moving pretty fast. We heard richard start shooting. We figured he had his elk down so we kept on the tracks, followed them right to richard standing over his 6 point bull grinning from ear to ear. We backed the truck up and were back to the house before my dad had gotten started skinning his! We hurried and got them skinned and cooling off and headed back out. Glassing from a point we saw a huge bull about a mile away and couldn't do anything but watch him walk into the sunset. The next morning we went to where we last saw him and jumped 2 raghorn bulls and the 2nd one stopped at abot 150 yds and justin missed! After a few small pushes and no luck we were heading to the point to glass and have some lunch. A coyote was standing about 50 yds off the side of the road. Justin killed it and I had to run out and look, we were laughing and talking loud. We got back in the truck and drove down the road 100 yds and there he was laying on the side of the road in the shade of a cedar. He never made it out of his bed. A 4 point bull a 5 point bull and a 6 point bull in a day and a half in an area where your lucky to maybe get a shot at a bull.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Watching my sons first hunting season unfold was more fun that I ever imagined. We hunted hard, had alot of fun, got to see him as a growing young man not a kid anymore. We shared laughs and high fives and just alot of good times.

Nemont

I've taken some kids on some junior mule deer hunts. Those are by far the funnest hunting trips for me. Kids dont get wrapped up in score, or killing the biggest buck. They get excited just about any time you find deer. Then when they get a deer, they are all smiles for a week.

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I'll share one of mine, and it just happened a couple of seasons ago. I was cow elk hunting, seeing plenty of animals, getting really close to some bulls, but not the cows. I suppose I could've tagged out on a couple of calves, but I thought they'd be like deer fawns. Last morning of the hunt, a foot of new snow. Just a little after daylight, I came around a bend in a large burn I had planned to hunt...there stood a lone cow. In my excitement, knowing I had only seconds to shoot, and as I exited the vehicle, in one motion I chambered a round, and fell flat on my butt...sat up,drew down, but she was gone! As I quickly rummaged in the cab of the truck for my day pack, shooting sticks. and other gear to prepare to chase after her, I was amazed to see two large bulls pass by not 10 feet from my truck, hastily pursuing the cow and both bellowing away!! I immediately got on their trail, and I could hear both bulls close by in front of me. As I stumbled out into a clearing, I froze as the two bulls passed right in front of me...I thought, how cool, when there appeared a third, huge bull. The first two passed by without detecting my presence, but Mr. Big looked right at me let out a loud bugle, then trotted approximately 40 yd. up a hillside, stood there bellowing away at me. I looked up the swale and spied 4 more elk, thought they had to be the cows. As I rushed around a juniper, I came face to face with another large bull, startling both of us. He trotted up to where the big guy was and he cut loose with bugles of his own.Since I was busted, I thought I had to get on the cows. I saw there were four more elk, and I swung on each in turn...Bull!...Bull!...Bull!...Bull! I couldn't believe it...eight bulls pursuing a lone cow, and the rut was supposed to be winding down or over. I waited as all of them moved further down the swale, then took up their tracks, hoping they would lead me to the cow, never losing sight of them while following a good mile or so, until weather socked in and visibility was zero. Thus ended my cow elk hunt, but I'll never forget that day. At times I was so close I could smell the elk, see their eyes roll, see their chin whiskers,their steamy breath, the conformation of their antlers. For me it was one of my most awesome hunting experiences.Hunting,always an adventure!

One hunt kind of stands out it was a ground squirrel hunt we used up like 8 bricks of .22 shells in 2 days. The kids had a blast and we all had a great time with bragging rights.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

As of now I would say my favorite hunt would have to be my 2009 general elk hunt. It was just me and my Dad. The morning on the way up to our honey hole I had the feeling, you know the one you get where you just know there will be blood on the ground by the end of the day. We were sitting where we needed to be by daylight. But there were people moving through on horses, and just walking through, normaly we are alone so I was getting frustrated. I decided to walk up to another place and see if I could push some elk in my dads direction. I heard a shot so I ran back to the edge of the hill to see 5 cows running north. I walked down and saw my dad standing over a spike elk. I started to get my knife out because I knew we had a lot of work ahead of us. He told me he saw another bull head south and told me to chase it and see if I could catch it. Reluctantly I headed south, because I had little to no faith I would ever locate him after a gunshot. Lucky for me I got to the top of the ridge again and heard bugling, the bull was looking for his cows. I went into stealth mode, everything that I had ever learned about hunting came into play. I was sneeking very slow, always paying attention to the wind. Using my binoculars every 10 to 20 feet even though it was the thick pines. eventually I was able to get to the area the bull was in, I snuck through the trees and heard a crack, I dropped to my knees, Put my gun up. The bull came in between two pines with a full outstretched neck and let out a blood curdling bugle. I was not sure on his size I was guessing a 4 maybe a 5 point. There was only one alley for a shot, I was withing 25 yards but had to pick an opening that was only a foot wide. I put my cross hairs in the opening, when he put his shoulder there, I let him have it. he only went a couple yards before collapsing. as I walked up to it I was in dis belief, I had to count points 4 times before I beleived what I had. He was a 7x6 that scored in the 320 range. The best part was when my dad finally got there to help me, he was in awe. I will never forget his face, he could not have been more proud if he had shot it himself. That all ended at 11 am on opening morning. We spent 2 full days packingout both elk. Hard work but I would not trade that for anything in the world, Just me and my dad.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

hunts with my kids are my best. 3 girls 1 boy all the hunts have been awesome.daughter shot a 30inch muley we didnt know was that big knew it was a buck in some trees.
next year other daughter shot that deer sidekick 5x6 25 wide.next year other daughter shot a 29incher 182 buck. after grandpa passed away my son after having breakfast with other family members said i dont want to go to school today. he needed time to think went bow hunting lopes. he saw a good buck he snuck by a rock. sat there for 3 hours waiting for buck to move. the buck finally got up he ranged him at 97 yardshe thought now or never shot him double lung. we were at his football game that friday night i look at football field thinking how did he shoot that far wow. he shot a 150 whitetail with bow a 160 with muzzle loader 2 buffalo with bow coyote in head with bow and great year senior playing football. i told him you will probably never have a fall like that again.plus so many hunts of my own. plus i got a grandson and hes got a henry golden boy before he was born so more stories in years to come.

My hunt that ruined me for life must have been when I was about 6 0r 7. My dad and I went to the hardware store and bought a bag of bird seed and threw it out. When my mom got home and saw the pile of dead birds we were both in deep $hiz!! My dad loves to tell that story. Its first rate!! Any hunt is enjoyable for me even if I am just help or "guide". I Love it!!

I think every hunt gets more enjoyable because you learn something new or how the animal got the slip on you. All this makes it more exciting from all the hours you spent thinking about the past hunt and the new ideas you try to be one step ahead.

Well. I did kill a 6x6 once and those memeories will never leave me. But, I think my favorite was this hunt.

I hunt chukar. When we have good rain, well, there are a few birds. But, sometimes it goes many years without rain and you are lucky to kill any. So, sometimes by the time the rain comes again, you can't remember what it was like to flush a covey and it makes it even better when it finally comes.

So, it was the second to last Friday of the hunt. something like Jan. 23rd or 24th. It should have been a day when getting a couple would have been a blast. We tried a new place and it took a little work just to get there.

We get out of the truck and spread out with my dad going one way and me the other. I took the direction going toward the bigger hill (actually a mesa). We had another group of guys in another vehicle. It was windy so you really couldn't hear all that well as far as calls. In our first go around we came up with nothing whick was not that surprising with the wind and all. so we (both groups meet up) they decide to drive around the corner and I decide I'll go up on the mesa. So, it is just me in that general area.

Before I get to the mesa, I find the birds in a depresion. And even with it being the end of the season, it seemed they had never been shot at. I get one and fail to recover another. More on that later. Then after the I reposition. I killed 4 in a row without moving my feet. Never had anything like that happen. It was all because of the wind. They were staying low out of the wind and the sound of my shooting was not heard by the other group of birds. So, I am one shy of a limit in like 15-20 mins. from leaving those guys.

I hike on over toward the direction they went and finally find them driving towards me. I ask them to get the dogs out and the dogs find the one I couldn't find about 30 yards form the place I was looking.

It was amazing. Never forget that day.

I've taken bigger and better, but I don't know if you can beat a family hunt with your first child along for the ride and loving every minute of it at less than three years old. Priceless!!

DSCN1558.jpg

DSCN1575.jpg

Utahheadgear that is really cool! I'd give $10,000 if I had photos of me and my Daddy on the hunt I posted about above-and I'm not a rich man.Back then the only photos taken of deer were big bucks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-10 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]Paul, I enjoyed the story of that ibex hunt you took your son on in last month's issue of Huntin Fool. Way to go, that was an awesome adventure.

Lots of great stories here, we're a fortunate group for sure.

One of my most memorable hunts was walking up to the buck I shot on the '05 muzzleloader hunt and realizing what I had finished.
My brothers and I found an incredible pocket of bucks in Utah's central general region. We chased them for the entire archery hunt with many close calls. In one drainage we had two non-typs, a heavy 30ish buck, a shallow 30" buck, and a dozen average 140-170's. My younger brother ended up sticking the largest non-typ, however we could not find it. We spent the rest of the archery hunt and the time between the muzzleloader hunt to try find it. It's a rather small area, should have been able to see birds on a dead deer or at least smell it later as it would surely start to stink.
Opening of the muzzleloader found me and my older brother in the same place trying to get one of the other bucks. I saw the shallow 30" buck coming through the oak with another buck working the same trail right behind him. I couldn't see which buck it was but thought I caught an in-line with my binos, wasn't sure with all the oak. I waited for it to hit the opening the other buck walked through and took the 160 yard off hand shot. I had no idea what happened since there was the huge cloud of smoke.
I called out to my older brother since I knew he was working the same ridge only higher, I figured that he would have a shot if I hadn't connected, or at least get a shot at the other one. He stood up less than 50 yards from where I had shot at my buck. He hadn't seen them on the other side of the oak.
I walked over to the area, and quickly noticed a front leg sticking above the sage. That buck didn't go two feet. Coming around the sage I noticed some orange on the face. My brother realized that it was my younger brother's fletching from his arrow. He had hit the deer near the nasal cavity, just below the eye. I had dropped him within 50 yards from where my brother had hit him with the arrow! He was an 8 X 9 which went over 200. I called my younger brother, told him I found his buck. Maybe I was a little vague on it's condition at first, it seemed he got the impression that I'd found a dead dear. By the time we got pictures, cleaning and such done he was bounding up the draw, over sage in his shorts and running shoes. I'm pretty sure he was happy for me.
We were all happy that the buck hadn't wasted away somewhere. It had rubbed all it's velvet and was fat and healthy. There is no way a surgeon could have placed that broadhead through that area without killing or causing loss of eye-sight. Crazy the arrow didn't kill it, and crazy we got another crack at him.

Hello all, like others have said, all of my hunts were/are memorable. Currently, my Alaskan float hunts are my favorite. It is really something to be dropped off in the middle of nowhere, and know that you will not be walking out and the closest village is 100+ miles away. It really is humbling. My most memorable hunt was probably my 20 day float hunt in Alaska. In a party of 4, we took 3 Grizzlies, over a dozen Caribou (some of which we used for food during the hunt) and 1 Moose. We were dropped off about 300 miles from the nearest village. We saw some incredible country, lots of Caribou (1000+), Wolves, Wolverine, Moose, Bear, Sheep, & lots of fishing (Salmon, Grayling, Char). I don't know if I can ever replicate a hunt like this.

Here is a link to my float hunt from last year, posted in the Alaskan Adventures forum. It was a much smaller scale, only 10 days.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID24/256.html

Thanks to everyone who posted. I enjoyed reading about everyone's hunts.

Take care,
Garion

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom