Your thoughts

caelkhnter

Very Active Member
Will be putting in for a deer point again this year. Next year I will have 16 points as a nonresident. What do you think is the BEST hunt I would have a pretty good chance of drawing, either archery or gun, next year?

Rifle: Book cliffs and Henry's management

Archery: book cliffs

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I would love to do a Henry Mtn management hunt. I've heard it can be tough, but you'd see some incredible deer and have a chance at a bruiser. 16 next year puts you in the mix.

What is your goal for the hunt? What is your goal for the buck? Will you have the time in 2016 to spend?

Well have been waiting quite a while for this one, so not interested in a management buck(even a large one), and not interested in a crabbed forked 4x4.

I am thinking archery I would like realistic opportunity at 175+ buck, gun 190+.

When I draw this tag will plan on hunting entire season, and if can't put any time in scouting, may look to some type of guide service.

So if that means I have to wait a few more years, so be it. I do not want to settle for something less after waiting 15 years. I can wait.

Your in no mans land for points , maybe hold out for a henrys archery tag but you could be out ten more years.

Pauns archery or muzzy, and San Juan rifle are about the only options that fit your criteria. The Henry's don't have bonus tags for NR with archery or ML, and you're 100+ years from reaching the bonus point pool on rifle. Tags may increase the next couple of years, but probably not enough to get a 2nd bonus tag on these units.

It may not be a possibility for you but I plan to move to Utah when I retire to use my NR points to draw Henrys. Just food for thought.

DZ

I have 18 non res points now. How many non residents are there with 18 or more points for deer?

149 non-residents with 18 or more points. Last year there were only 4 nonresidents with that many or more points who drew permits.

I have to agree with Deerlove. No mans land. I have 14NR points. Won't ever draw any of the premium hunts. We put in for the Bookcliffs. We have realistic expectations and looking to have a fun hunt. Maybe get lucky on a better buck.

I have 19 deer points going in. That's not getting me in the preference Henry's buck tag drawing anytime soon, but I'll keep at it till I get a tag or drop.

Looking at Rifle hunts:

San Juan Elk Ridge looks like you may have 1 guy ahead of you (who will probably draw this year if he sticks with that hunt/unit) and 2 other guys with you in your point pool. (Having 14 last year. With 1 bonus permit, that means if the guy ahead of you draws this year, and no one else puts in (doubtful) then in 2016 you will be 1 of 3 guys with 16 points. 33% that year.

You would draw Diamond Mtn. for sure.

You would draw West Desert, Vernon for sure.

You would draw Fillmore, Oak Creek for sure. (don't do it)

You would draw Book Cliffs North or South.

Also, it should be noted that there is a new Multi-Season tag and I think the Book Cliffs will have enough Resident tags for it to have at least 1 NR tag. That would get you the opportunity to hunt all 3 LE seasons in 2016. With 16 points next year, Id bet you would draw it.

Also, in my opinion, as a NR, you won't draw a tag on either of the Premium units in Utah for a very long time or never. As such, you have to look at other units to pursue your trophy. While some may say you are "wasting" your points by hunting the Book Cliffs, here is the reality: It now takes 11 points as a Resident to guarantee a tag to the Book Cliffs Rifle. As a NR, it is obviously going to take you longer than that. So, 16 points may be high, but unless you pull a tag for one of the "lesser" LE deer units, they are completely worthless to you towards those premium units. Unless you don't mind NOT hunting like all the NR yahoos that put in for the Henry's tag. (Marley here on MM excluded as he drew the sucker).

Good luck no matter what you do. I think that 16 years is far too long to wait to shoot a skinny deer with molting hair and fuzzy antlers... Stick with a rifle. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I think the best hunt is the one you have a tag for. I realize that there are some crazy circumstances, but why put in for a point only? Rather than apply for a point only, go for broke and apply for a premium Henry's tag or Antelope Island. Most all of us would figure out how to make it happen if they drew, and if you don't draw, you still get your point. They only way you have a chance is if you apply. Applying for a point equals zero chance of drawing. I know the other tags are a long shot and almost zero, but there is still a chance.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom