Youth any bull also

Abmass

My son and I are going to start on the North Slope of the uintas he has a youth any bull tag and I am trying 2 get him bit by the elk hunting bug. I would love to here your guys's thoughts on where you would start on the North Slope I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole, but it would be nice to hear some of your guys's suggestions. It also would be awesome to see my son drop his first elk. Actually the first elk for our immediate family. I have been doing a lot of e scouting and have a few places picked out but I'm curious to see what you guys think, I'm sure some of you have hunted this unit and might have a few good suggestions. Some of these any bull units can be tough to locate elk so what do you guys think? And remember you're helping out a youth future Hunter you're not divulging the resting place of the Holy Grail so be nice. Hunt hard and carry on

They're all hard areas to hunt. If you haven't done any scouting, get out there and get it done. Don't wait for free handouts and sympathy pointers. Your efforts will be equally rewarded.

My favorite part of the hunt is scouting and the anticipation of what I will see and when it will happen.

There is enough content on YouTube and on the internet to give you a pretty good idea on how to hunt elk. Rather than come on this hunting forum and pry locations out of strangers, look for those micro pockets and begin your elk study. That's the whole fun of it. And then, when that magical moment happens, you'll have that sense of accomplishment to go with your hunting experience.

Hiding behind your son to get information seems a bit foolish and undeserving. You obviously planned to put your son in for the youth draw. Should have also started scouting and researching years ago.

I've got 28 years of elk hunting in with my dad (started hunting elk when I was 14). The last 15 years have been amazing because we have educated ourselves on how to hunt elk to the point we have killed bulls every year on public land since. I don't hunt for antlers. I hunt for the experience and the meat, which is why it is probably easier to kill a bull for me.

Best of luck. Whether your son gets one or not, just enjoy that time with him and build upon every hunt.

My old man and I figured it out on our own. I am confident you can do the same with your son if the ambition is there.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-19 AT 02:31PM (MST)[p]You?re about the 15th guy since May to make this exact same post, and they all get the same response. Let's be honest, you are asking for honey holes. You are wanting people to tell you exactly where to go. Scouting should have been taking place all summer, not just the week before the hunt. Go have a great experience with your son, focus on the experience and not the outcome. If you kill a bull great. If you don't, learn from your experience and use that info for better hunts in the future. I didn't kill an elk the first time I went after them. But I kept after it. 15 years later, I'm pretty hooked and I have somewhat of a decent idea on how to be successful with them regularly. You gotta start somewhere, choose a spot you've chosen and go from there.

@screaminseagull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom