Youth Bonus Point Question

JDElec

I have a question about getting my daughter a bonus point for Arizona deer this year. I've found to apply for a bonus point only the child must be 10 by the deadline date. My daughter is 9 she will turn 10 this year.

My question is to apply for a hunt does she need to be 10 by the opening date of the hunt or can she turn 10 after the opening date but before the hunt closes?

The hunts have harder odds so the plan is she wont draw but will get a point. If she does draw thats even better.

She has to be 10 before the opening of the hunt, and I'm pretty sure even before she applies. And she must have hunter education.

She has to be 10 before the hunt and have HE before the hunt, I think! Where is Don? Really Don Martin can answer this.

She has Hunter Education already, so junior hunt 1176 is Dec 17-31 that is the latest draw hunt start date I could find odds are about 10% so she probably would draw (thats ok) her birthday is Dec 20th I know I might be over thinking it, it won't kill us to just wait until next year but the earlier you start getting points to sooner you might draw.

If you look at the age chart on page 35 of the regulations it shows the hunter must be 10 to even apply for a hunt or bonus point.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]Yes, sremin is right about what page 35 says, but that page is NOT a comprehensive depiction of the regulations. It is only a table/gantt chart..... ;)

My understanding has been; In order to hunt big game in AZ as a junior, two primary criteria must be met:

1) The young hunter must pass hunter education prior to the hunt (not prior to applying/draw).

2) The young hunter must turn 10 years old prior to the hunt (not prior to applying/draw).

I just called the G&F, and they confirmed this to be the fact. The youngsters do NOT have to be 10 years old to apply. They only have to be 10 years old to HUNT! :)

For the bonus point only, it's a bit different. They MUST be 10 years old to get a bonus point.

So as an example; If you have a child turning 10 this summer:

-You can put that child in for the drawing.

-If drawn, they must pass hunter safety prior to the hunt.

-If not drawn, they do NOT get a bonus point unless they were 10 years old at the time of the draw.

Confusing enough??????

S.

:)

Oops, I almost forgot your first question JDElec! The rule states that the youngster must be 10 years old to 'hunt', not 'must be 10 years old at the start of the season...'.

That being said, if she was drawn for the elk hunt in your example, she could not hunt on opening day, but she could hunt on her birthday (the 20th....)! ;)

S.

:)

Guys:

She can APPLY and DRAW the tag at age 9, BUT she must be 10-years-old and have completed a Hunter Education class BEFORE she can hunt.

In this case, she is fine. She will turn 10 after the hunt opens, so the day she is 10, she is legal to go hunt. Just make sure she has Hunter Education and has that card with her when she hunts.

Cool question though, never had that come up before..

Good luck!.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom