Youth Bonus Points

Moosey69

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-09 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]My son turns 10 in April, he's done his hunters safety and I was going to start building points for him this year. In last years Huntin Fool it said he can apply for a tag as long as he turns 10 before the hunt starts, but can only apply for a bonus point only if he is 10 before the end of the application period. I have went through the 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping Regulations and the 2009 Antelope and Elk Regs and do not see anything about the age at the time of the application period. Any one know exactly what the rule is? I was trying to avoid putting him in for any hunts for a few years and having to pay the entire tag cost up front, but would like to start building him points. Any information would be appriciated.
Thanks

Moosey,
I had the same question and talked to the director of hunter safety in Arizona and the way I understand it is: You have to be 10 before the start of a hunt to apply for a hunt. But you have to be 10 before the application deadline to put in for a point. The confusing part for me is if you put in for the hunt and are not successfull and not 10 before the application period you still do not get a point. I could be wrong pon that last part that is the way I understood it. I am sure Don Martin or maybe RedRabbit would know for sure.

You have to be 10 years-old by the time the hunt starts and you must have completed hunter education before the hunt starts in order for the tag to be valid.

I'm gonna beg off on the age to apply for a point only.

I'll take a WAG and say 10, since that is the limit for a youngster to hunt big game in AZ.

Call Dave Williams @ G&F in Phx and I'll bet he'll know the answer.

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-09 AT 09:44AM (MST)[p]From the 2008-2009 Hunting & Trapping Regulations booklet. In the elk/antelope regs, it says to refer to R12-4-104 for complete info. See the section in BOLD type:

R12-4-104
Application Procedures for Issuance of Hunt
Permit-tags by Drawing and Purchase of
Bonus Points

A. For the purposes of this Section, ?group? means all
applicants who have placed their names on a single
application form contained in a single envelope, or submitted
electronically over the Internet as part of the same
application. No more than four individuals may apply as
a group.

B. An individual is eligible to apply:

1. For a hunt permit-tag if the individual:
a. Is at least ten years old at the start of the hunt
for which the individual applies;
b. Has completed a department-approved hunter
education course by the start date of the hunt
for which the individual applies, if the individual
is under the age of fourteen; and
c. Does not have his or her license or license privileges
to hunt in this state suspended or revoked
at the time the individual submits an application,
as a result of an action under either A.R.S.
?? 17-340 or 17-502.

2. For a bonus point if the individual:
a. Is at least ten years old by the DEADLINE TO APPLY;
and

b. Does not have his or her license or license privileges
to hunt in this state suspended or revoked
at the time the individual submits an application,
as a result of an action under either A.R.S.
?? 17-340 or 17-502.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Moosey and Bragrabit,
I hope I can clear this up a bit. Sometimes when someone posts the written law it still remains unclear.

Last year, my son was 9 at the time of the draw. I too found myself having to front the costs of the license and tag just so he could get a point. My son turned 10 in July. I put him in for hunts that were really difficult to draw and he didn't. I made sure that if he did draw, then he would have a good chance at harvesting an animal or at least ample opportunity. He did not draw.

Long story short, I just checked his point status and he has 1 point for all the species that I applied him for: elk, deer, antelope, sheep, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dustin

Does he have 1 point for not drawing plus his hunter ed point? He should have 2 points for everything applied for. If not, something aint right.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

sremim,

I'm no expert about AZ. My son only has 1 point per species applied for. We are non-res and in order to get the hunter-ed point, it is my understanding that we need to take the course in AZ. His hunter ed from our home state will not qualify him to get the extra hunter ed point. Don has been trying to convince me to bring the family to the course in April, but we are die-hard turkey nuts and that course falls right on the best time to be chasing toms. We will have to take it next year.

Sorry if I'm adding to the confusion. I was trying to help. It was my hope to help clear up the mud, sorry to add to it.

Dustin

My bad. I didn't consider you being a non-res. I was thinking of you being a resident.

You didn't add any confusion.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

Jake,

Your son applied under section 1 of the rule -- for an actual hunt. Thus he got his bonus point as designed.

The question I answered was in regard to applying for the BONUS POINT ONLY -- where youngster must be 10 before doing so. The applicant must have/buy a license, but pays only $7.50 for the BP.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

No hard feelings here guys. Outdoorwriter, someone had said that the youngster might not get a point even if unsuccessful in the draw, so I was just trying to clear it up for Moosey. Sometimes it's hard for me to interpret the procs. I'm a "special" learner! LOL!

Dustin

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-09 AT 06:34PM (MST)[p]Sorry I have not checked the forums for a few days to be able to thank everyone for their input. So thanks for the info, I guess I will have to front the money for the tag and then wait for a refund.
Thanks again!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom