Youth Cow in unit 44

I

IdahoBigGameHunter

I have put in for this unit this year and was wanting to know if it was farliy easy to harvest a nice mature cow any input would help thanks

I have taken kids on several of the youth hunts with great success. The hunts are chosen to give kids good chances of seeing game. I also call the regional office for that area & ask for the big game biologist & always gotten good advice.
Good luck!!

>I have put in for this
>unit this year and was
>wanting to know if it
>was farliy easy to harvest
>a nice mature cow any
>input would help thanks

I just wanted to clarify. You asked, "if it was farliy easy to harvest a nice mature cow". My son had this tag in 2006, which looking back at the regs appeared to be the first year. We had other hunts so we didn't spend a lot of time on this tag, which we ate, but the point I would like to make is that the success rate over it's two years has averaged 27%. That doesn't tell me it's an easy hunt. Weather and timing will be a big factor as if they get down off 44 and over into the lower ground across the Hwy, they will mostly be on PRIVATE ground. If you can get permission on some of the private ground then your odd's will more than double, if not then this will not be an "Easy" hunt. Most of the cow hunts in 32a, 39, 44, 45 all produce better results, so again I would caution on answering that this an easy tag to fill, what it is is an easier tag to obtain.

You did get good advice about speaking with the biologist. Get to know the area, you have quite a bit of space there, and ask about how they migrate once the weather changes as the dates for this hunt, Nov 10-30, will tell you a lot, plus be prepared to bundle those kids up.

BPKHunter, is right. I knew several kids that had that tag most didn't get a elk. It is NOT a push over by any means. It does cover 3 units, and my son was lucky to get a cow. He is right that a lot of the area with elk that time of the year is private. Most of the land owners I talked to said not just no but HELL NO! We got lucky and I mean lucky. Most of the units have regular cow hunts going on for a MONTH before the youth hunts opens, and the regular cow hunt stayes open with the kids hunt.
I hate to pop bubbles but, this is not a great hunt, and I wouldn't say it was a good hunt. It gives kids a chance to hunt a elk, so it is oppertunity. If you don't know the area the chances of success drops big time. Ron

the hunt runs from navember 10 through the 30. The only reason i put in for this hunt is because my best friends dad has been hunting this unit for 20 years and said he could put me on one. Also my friends uncle has so private property on the Camas priaire that he has permission so maybe i could go on to it as a last resort?

20 years of experience and access to private property, now that seems like a recipe for success.

Good luck, and buy those kids some heavy wool, they may need it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom