Youth eligibility?

SDBugler

Very Active Member
Can someone please clarify the youth eligibility requirements for me? If I read the regs correctly, you are eligible for the youth hunts if you turn 12 before the end of the hunt and if you don't turn 18 before Feb 12.

If this is correct then the system is unfair for youth that have a birthday that falls between the close of the season and Feb 12 as they only get 6 years of eligiblity vs. 7 for the others.

One of my sons has 4 elk pts (just turned 16 last week). We have been applying him since he was first eligible (at age 12). We have been planning to save them for a youth hunt that takes AT LEAST 6 pts to draw. I have been planning my apps/hunts for the next couple years and just realized that he will never be able to apply for this youth hunt hunt with the max 6 points because of how his birthday falls. By the time he gets 6 pts, he will get thrown into the regular drawing (and then he will need about 20 pts to draw the same hunt).

Am I reading the regs correctly? If so then they aren't fair for some youth hunters as they get one less year of youth eligibility.

as I understood it.. If the youth turns 12 before the START of the hunt and is UNDER 18 at the time of the drawing. I could be wrong.

I think that's right, SD. The only "fair" way to do it would be to pick a single date, like April 1st. If the kid turns 12 or 18 before that date, they can apply or not apply. Six years of eligibility max. Any other way would be "unfair" to someone. In their attempt to give as much opportunity to youth as possible, CPW has made a situation where some will feel wronged.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom