Youth elk unit 13 11/25-11/29

PthLesTrvld

Hey y’all. I recommend this leftover youth tag for my buddies boy. I’ve hunted this unit several times in years past and saw healthy numbers of elk. Sent him all my gps coordinates for my honey holes and they aren’t seeing anything. Sounds like his boy is having fun as it’s his first hunt he’s actually getting to do the triggering, but so far they’ve seen several deer and some wolves.

Anyone been out there this year willing to help me point them towards some cow elk? Please pm and I can share where I’ve already sent them looking. Appreciate any help.

On a side note, after my off-range oryx hunt success I missed on a 5x bull for my unit 10 archery (was a decent shooting lane; just over held a full draw and figured I’d bounced at release). Didn’t get another chance on a mature bull rest of hunt. Deer hunt in 24 was a bust, couldn’t close the distance on the few mature bucks we glassed and only had a few forkies within shooting distance so passed on them. Overall though I’ve had some great memories with my father out in Gods beautiful country. Still have an elk cow hunt for my father in 15 this weekend, so looking forward to it, and maybe replenishing some elk carne in the freezer.

Pray you all had a great thanksgiving and praying a blessed CHRISTmas season coming ahead. Congratulations to those who’ve had success so far this year and to those who’ve also had their share of tag soup hope you’ve savored the flavor of getting to get out in the woods. God bless!

Update:

Well, they’re calling it after this evening stalk. Went to another area last night I had recommended and saw cow elk right off the forest road just 6 minutes after legal shooting hours 🤷‍♂️. Sounds like his boy enjoyed his first experience hunting for himself and not just tagging along. Buddy did a great job of breaking him in slow and not over pushing him (Lord knows I’d have been a zealot with my boy). Sounds like this allowed him to enjoy the whole experience and plant the seed for his future hunts.

Thank you to CountryBoy for your suggestion; always appreciate the help we offer each other on this forum.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom