Youth Encouragement ?

ELKMAN

Are the youth encouragement hunts open for nonresident youth on Wens?

In the price chart of the proclamation, it says cow hunts are not issued to nonresidents, and in the encouragement section it lists a price?

Short answer is no.

Youth Encouragement Elk License sale begins July 12​

SANTA FE – New Mexico resident youth hunters who applied and were unsuccessful in the 2023-2024 big-game draw are eligible to purchase one of nearly 1,900 antlerless elk licenses. The licenses will go on sale through the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish’s Online License System starting at 10 a.m. MDT July 12.
The sale is designed to encourage unsuccessful youth draw applicants and includes 1,570 licenses for any legal sporting arm and 390 licenses for muzzleloader, crossbow or bow.
Licenses will be sold online only on a first-come, first-served basis. To purchase a license, customers will need to log into their Online License System account.
Eligibility and requirements:
  • For the first 14 days, the sale is open only to resident youth who have applied in the current license year for one or more draw hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, Barbary sheep, oryx or ibex and were not successful for any hunt. Please note that the purchase of a leftover draw hunt counts as a successful application.
    • Must have a valid Hunter Education certification.
    • Must be 17 years of age or younger on the opening day of hunt.
  • Beginning at 10 a.m. MDT, July 26, the sale will open to nonresident youth who applied in the current license year for one or more draw hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, Barbary sheep, oryx or ibex and were not successful for any hunt.
  • Youth hunters must have a current annual Game Hunting or Game Hunting and Fishing License prior to purchasing an elk license. Customers without a Game Hunting License will be directed to purchase one before purchasing a Youth Encouragement Elk License.
All purchases will be audited to verify the customer’s eligibility.
Hunters planning to purchase a youth encouragement license must have completed all mandatory 2022-2023 harvest reporting requirements or their purchase will be rejected in the post-sale audit. The license fee, but not the application fee, will be refunded for rejected purchases.
Following the successful purchase of a youth encouragement license, the license/tag will be mailed to the hunter, unless the e-tag option is selected.
For more information about the youth encouragement elk sale, hunting in New Mexico or for help logging in, please call the Information Center at 888-248-6866 or email us at [email protected].
Youth encouragement licenses will not be sold over the phone. For the list of available hunts please see pages 81 and 82 of the 2023-2024 Hunting Rules and Information Booklet available online.

Sorry ELKMAN when I posted the info I was lost on which day of the month it was. It's hell getting older....

This is what is stated on NMDGF site to be eligible:

• Beginning at 10 a.m. MDT, July 26, the sale will open to nonresident youth who applied in the current license year for one or more draw hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, Barbary sheep, oryx or ibex and were not successful for any hunt.
  • Youth hunters must have a current annual Game Hunting or Game Hunting and Fishing License prior to purchasing an elk license. Customers without a Game Hunting License will be directed to purchase one before purchasing a Youth Encouragement Elk License.

It looks like the new no scope rule on ML's has made a difference for these tags.

They are letting out of state kids buy them now, and they still aren't moving.

Are they just going to throw them in the trash? I know some older dudes that would really want these permits, that got shut out of these this year.

It looks like the new no scope rule on ML's has made a difference for these tags.

They are letting out of state kids buy them now, and they still aren't moving.

Are they just going to throw them in the trash? I know some older dudes that would really want these permits, that got shut out of these this year.

I know a not so older dude that wishes he could have one too...

probably most out of staters didn't know and it is only for those who applied and didn't draw. I thought in the past they used to open it up to kids sho didnt even apply

probably most out of staters didn't know and it is only for those who applied and didn't draw. I thought in the past they used to open it up to kids sho didnt even apply

They did, but only for kids that drew something else.

While not unreasonable, $360 for a youth cow five day hunt ain’t a screaming deal compared to Colorado or Wyoming. In any case we have no more time for out of state hunts so will have to pass.
I’m kind of surprised residents didn’t snatch em all up though.

I think the no scope rule affected this.

Will they just go in the trash? I know some bitter old folgies that got banned from these Ha.

While not unreasonable, $360 for a youth cow five day hunt ain’t a screaming deal compared to Colorado or Wyoming. In any case we have no more time for out of state hunts so will have to pass.
I’m kind of surprised residents didn’t snatch em all up though.

A cow is a cow...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom