Youth hunt ideas? what to apply for? points only? 12 and 9

flyingbrass

Youth hunt ideas? what to apply for? points only? 12 and 9 are the ages of my boys.
What are your thoughts on getting kids started? We live in Arkansas and hog hunt and deer hunt. We usually duck hunt but no water this year. Anyway, want to put my oldest in for some good quality youth hunts for elk/deer and might do NM sheep. I want to know what you guys recommend. I put in for a bunch so I might as well get them going as well.
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Arizona has a geat youth program. They charge non res the same price as a res for youth.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Start AZ points when they are 10. Most of the AZ youth only hunts are antlerless. Start Colorado and WY points when they are 12. Utah you can get Gen Season points when 12, but you gotta wait till 14 for Limited entry. New Mexico has no points but some slightly better odds on good hunts for youth only. No age restriction in NM, just pass hunter safety. I am using this plan now, my oldest just turned 11. I am a utah resident and those are the cheapest states to get points for your kids and hopefully have a good chance to kill somthing in a few years. I mostly am going to stick to deer, elk, and antelope. I will get points for the OIL for my kids if I dont have to front the big money. NV is pretty spendy for youth if you are not a resident. ID is not worth it if you are not already hunting an OTC area due to the non-refundable license. You can get antelope tags 2nd choice in Wy and still build points if you just want go out and have a fun hunt.

I would buy points in CO and WY for sure check out Compass West Outfitters they are great with kids.Chris took my 13 year old daughter on oryx a couple years ago

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom