Youth Hunter

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My daughter turns 12 on May 23rd. Is she eligible for a youth deer tag this year or do you have to be 12 to apply? Thanks.

Steve

Steve:

I "believe" the deadline for CA is usually the first week or so of June for big game applicatations. Since she turns 12 in May, she would be 12 years old and eligilbe to apply for youth hunts.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Ya....I didn't really think of that Roy! Too much going on right now to think logically!! Thanks for the help.

Steve

No problem amigo.....I've had those days as well. :) Hope she draws a good tag.....but most of all, has a great time in the woods with her ol' man!

BOHNTR )))---------->

AT LEAST OUR THINKING ABOUT HUNTING WITH YOUR KIDS AND THATS GREAT. PUT HER IN FOR J-12 AND IF YOU GET THAT DRAW, LET ME KNOW COUSE YOU WILL BE IN FOR A HUNT OF A LIFETIME.

Seems like that would be an aweful hard draw with only 10 tags available. I probably wouldnt want to take the chance of not having her draw a tag on her first opportunity. I'd really like her to have an opportunity not only to draw a tag but also have a successful hunt. I appreciate all the info.

Steve

Ya, that is a tough draw and I am not going to try to talk you into anything, BUT, check the regs and you will see that JR. hunters can draw jr tags off their second deer tag app. and that leaves her first deer app to apply for whatever hunt you want. The second thing is that the j12 hunt(if drawn) is as close to a garantee of a successfull hunt as you will find anywhere. It is a late rut hunt and if you don't see a buck, it is because you are blind or not even in the owens valley.

BLU- I will look into it. Maybe the 2nd deer app is the way to go. Thanks for the insight.

Steve

Hey Wis its true about the two apps for the kids. Remember that only 50% of the appretice hunts go to max point holders.So my plan with my first three boys worked great. At 12 put them in for the best, they have a crack at 50%. Then if they dont draw at 15 they will have 3 points and be in the running! So far its worked for us. Ive one more to go before football and girls sweep them away. BH1

JUST PUT THEM IN EVERY DRAW...You never!.. know my son drew a Lassen Antelope last year and will draw x7 for sure as as youth if we go that way.. he now maxed for deer, elk as a Jr! use 2nd app to apply for apprentice hunts... 1st for the premium hunt(this knock down a lot of the Jr hunters because dads want there kids to hunt with them or want to use there points to draw last years X zone tag this year!).
so put kids 1st regular tag as a hard draw...then 2nd as apprentice tag on the hardest draw and start getting points!
use 2nd choices as the hunts to cut teeth on...like D, A. B zones...that's my system...

Rackmaster

Thanks RACK. What happens to youth points if they never get drawn for any hunts? Will those points go with them into adulthood or do the juniors lose their points?

Steve

Youth hunters (as well as adult) retain all their PP's until they are drawn for their first choice on "first deer" application.

BOHNTR )))---------->

see how they changed the date?
no more 4 pt apprentace in those draws..3 is max as a JR!
4 point kids now apply as adults!

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Does anyone know what happens to the jrs. pts if they put in for an X tag with their 1st tag and draw? Do their points still count towards a junior hunt tag on their 2nd tag or are they gone?

16 years old apply as adults..
use 2nd tag as apprentice hunts application, 1st tag as use for premium tag...however if the kid hits 1st choice on 1st tag they loose all points for that beast, so if you want to bank points put in for a hard draw with there 1st app!

Junior Hunting License Requirement Fish and Game Code, Section 3031 was amended to change the eligibility requirements to obtain a Junior Hunting License. To qualify for a Junior Hunting License, a hunter must be less than 16 years of age at the beginning of the license year (July 1).

the loop hole was before if your child had a bday in April, may, June he /she was at advantage of the extra year (able to hit 4/5 points as apprentice when max should be 3) "fault" I blame the analyst!!

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Do you think it's possible for a jr to draw a premium tag with his first tag app and a jr hunt with his second tag app?

unlikely however 1/2 tag split 50/50 for points vs random draw it can happend. but may be dfg would not let that happend and asign only one!
49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

Steve, put them in for the NE youth duck hunts and the late valley duck hunts and as many youth pheasant hunts as possible. That plus big game will get them started right.

Around your big game hunts of course.

Hey Andy- I didn't have anything new in my inbox. Did I not return your last pm? Things have been kinda busy with work, my wifes bday and then Mothers Day. I'll pm you tomorrow. Later.

Steve

I called F&G and spoke with someone about this just the other day. You have to turn 12 before July 1st to be eligible for the draw if not you can still buy a general deer tag i.e. b zone.

Slide

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom