Youth Hunting Opportunities

Andouiller

Am I confused? I was hoping to apply my non resident 12 year old son for a controlled mule deer hunt in Idaho this year. I am not planning on applying due to multiple other hunts planned. If I understand the rule correctly, I cannot apply him, unless I hold a valid license and mule deer tag in the state or know someone who does that is willing to go with us? If correct, seems like Idaho is limiting the opportunities for youth applicants.

That's for a Junior mentored tag/license combo I believe. If your son has a full priced adult hunting license, you will not have to have a license. Or, he gets the junior tag, and you get a 3 day license for small game or maybe the "non-game" $39 license. But I would check with f and g.

"Nonresident youth ages 10 to 17, who possess a nonresident junior mentored hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or older and be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices. The licensed adult must have a current year tag which is valid for the same species, and may hunt while participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time. A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag possession requirement.
• Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess a full price hunting license are not required to follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field."

Agree with the above, just get the regular license. As an Idaho resident I do wish there were more youth only tags for kids to draw. There are no buck pronghorn rifle tags, few youth only antlered deer hunts and only a couple bull tags. Good luck in the draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom