youth hunts

D

diamondj

First of all Do you think as a youth they should have a chance at a youth only big horn sheep ram tag? 12 reg tags and 1 youth

In a priemium unit for deer they give out 250 gen tags both adult and youth can apply and 150 youth only tags.

Ibex this one gets under my skin 30 youth only and 15 gen draw the gen is once in a life time.

Elk once in a life time youth 20tags gen 15tags

the thing about it is as a youth you can put in for the gen tag as a first choice then put the youth hunt as second choice and in cases the hunts run at the same time. Also if they draw either a sheep, oryx, ibex or any once in a life time tag as a youth they can still apply again as an adult.

Do not send out the linch mob but I really don't think as a youth hunter they should be getting the Q/HD tags on a youth only hunt. I have kids of my own and I don't think they should be drawing these tags. I have never put my kids in for a youth hunt. I have one more coming up (he is 8 now) and I don't think I will put him in for sheep, ibex or oryx as I just don't think he would really understand or appreicate what the hunt truly was, also not sure if he would have the mental toughness to do a sheep or ibex hunt. I know when I was 15-16 I sure would not have. Just my 2 cents. I DO think we need to everything we can to introduce our kids to hunting and the outdoors just don't think they should be drawing these kind of hunts as a youth only. If a youth is mature enough to go on one of these hunts they should apply for a gen tag with the rest of the adults.

I just think they need to pay thier dues and do some other hunts and then they will get more out of the premium hunts.

i like the idea of youth hunts. i am really jealous that they didn't exist when i was a kid. i don't think its fair to give them that many tags and also every year. i think its gonna ruin them in the future. getting to hunt elk in the rut with a rifle sure will give them a false sense of what that hunt is really like. if nothing else make them after all the other more primitive weapon hunts or make each hunt a once in a lifetime. if they are undersubscribed then they can purchase the tag even if they have already had that tag. just my 2 cents. i do like the concept just sure don't like the number of tags they get.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]The problem is some of the NR youth hunts could be drawn year after year.Yet you hear them complain the youth.They need to ask themselves are they concerned about the youth in general or their youth.Some of these kids have returned year after year on some Quality hunts.

I have no problem with the NR or RES youth hunting I just think once they draw a preimium tag the should only be able to hunt
Gen hunts.And make room for the next kid to enjoy this opportunity.

As far as the hunt structure.The elk hunts were moved up a week
Soon you will see NM produce some giant bulls.They have 3 weeks to breed and the bigger bulls will peel away from the cows.By the time the first rifle and muzzy hunts start.

As far as the deer they are going to decimate the big bucks.
They are hunting these deer in the peak of the rut.Look at the unit 45 hunt.The first couple of years were exceptinal now you have kids that cant kill a buck.The hunt dates are way off.

I think the youth encouragement hunts are great.It gives the unlucky kids a chance to get out and and contribute to the freezer filling.And show them its not always about horns

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 08:17AM (MST)[p]Well I like them and wish the chance was there when i was growing up.I dont know that the youth season is that much easier of a hunt.I do it for my son because who knows what hunting will be around 10 years from now.He may only be able to draw a tag every few years out west.I am ok with the one sheep tag but the others need to be brought more in line to be fair to all.I really think it may get a few more kids hooked on hunting with a season all by themselves.You raise your kid right he will think each animal he ever gets to hunt will be a trophy for him.

NM has a good mix of trophy and non trophy youth hunts.

They do the best job with this than any other state.

You cannot make everyone happy.

If the kid is not ready for a youth ibex hunt then they should not be put in for it. Nothing wrong with a cow hunt.

There are adults that are not ready for a trophy hunt. Get the kids excited and involved.

When my kids are to young for youth hunts I will try to find other kids that do not have parents to take them hunting and get them involved. It may be just youth cow hunts, but, it is a great program.

Call me a pessimist, but I really question how many of the "youths" actually make the kill shot. Pretty sure a large percentage of daddys pull the trigger.

I disagree with you scottr. If you've ever been out on a youth hunt you would probably get a very different opinion. My son only has a couple of years left to apply for youth hunts, and I would not deny any other kid the opportunities he has gotten. My advice to everyone who does not like the youth hunts - find a kid and take them on some of these hunts - it will be an experience you never forget.
On these youth hunts, you will find very few trophy hunters. I've seen kids thrilled with the cow elk they shot with their ES rut tags.

Have you been on hunts were you seen the dad shoot.Because I can tell you it never crossed my mind as watching my son harvest the elk was better then me doing it.I heard people talk like that when I got home thinking I shot the elk.Everyone of them dads thinks more of there hunting then there sons or daughter.Had some even ask why I would take my son and not go myself.I can also say most were just jealous.Those to me are guys who just go to kill not hunt.Know I do pick what many would call are trophy hunts.I myself do not believe in shooting female animals but hold nothing againist people who do as many do it for food to eat.I think sometimes to many females are hunted so I will not add to that.In most kids eyes any animal they would harvest is a trophy in there eyes and should be in there dads eyes also.New mexico has a youth program thats is about as good as a dad could wish for there kids.I do applaud those who take other kids out to hunt also you guys deserve a big thanks.

"If a youth is mature enough to go on one of these hunts they should apply for a gen tag with the rest of the adults.

I just think they need to pay thier dues and do some other hunts and then they will get more out of the premium hunts."

Good questioning, diamondj.

Taking a youth hunting to me is the best way to pass stewardship principals on to the next generation. The fact that our state puts this emphasis out there is possibly one of the best things they are doing/ promoting.

BUT..... sometimes I really wonder what principals the adults are promoting!

When I see photos where the child looks whooped and the dad is holding the trophy with the big smile..... I just always wonder if someone is living out their fantasy through their child. Or hear how the parent "helped" them put the animal in the sight picture. Worse yet, pulled the trigger for them!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you brought up MATURITY. Can a 10 yr old really hunt sheep? Ibex? How about Elk? What about 13yr olds? Some adults IMO do take advantage of the system.

For every adult that abuses the youth hunt system- how many are taking the opportunity to show stewardship in a positive manner?

outdoorsdude that is exactly where I am coming from. I have 2 grown children 24 and 22 with an 8yr old still coming up. I have hunted with both of my older children and am now teaching my youngest how to shoot and gun safety. When I hunted with my older children when they were younger they did as much work as I did. They sighted in thier own rifles, practiced year round not just the weekend before the hunt, I would not scout unless they went, they helped set up camp, field dressed thier own, helped pack out, tear down camp, and put equipment away after the hunt. They get just as disappointed in not drawing a tag as the rest of us but they understand and know how the system works. So my point is how many others do this? I feel too many people do the pre-hunt work for the kids and the kids just hunt or shoot (depends on how you look at it)IMO if the youth don't want to do the work before as well as after what are they being taught.I am FAR from perfect but I believe this is one thing I do right.

If someone is going to be a poacher, they will be a poacher.

If this means they shoot their kids tag then they will do that and any other number of things.

That does not mean you throw out a program because someone out there may be a cheat.

Like I said before, there are plenty of adults that are not capable of hiking the Floridas, or chasing barbary, or chasing elk.

A responsible parent determines if their kid is ready. A irresponsible parent may put their kid in for a hunt they are not ready for just like a irresponsible adult may put THEMSELVES in for a hunt they are not ready for.

My son shot his first deer at 8 years old the same year he passed hunter safety. He shot an Ibex at 11 yrs old at 372 yards with a 300 win mag. Most adults I know would not have made the hike to the top of that mountain for that ibex.

So why would you say some kids are not ready for it so do not make it available????

You cannot fix stupid with rules and legislation. Last thing I want is NM to become a nanny state making my decisions for me with a cookie cutter type mentality.

Everybody compares the "when I was a kid". Guess what? When we were kids, deer hunts were over the counter. Elk and antelope tags were much easier to draw. We had the opportunity to hunt every year. Throw kids in the general draw these days, and after a few years of not drawing, they will move on to a sport they can actually participate in.

This whole "I didn't get to do it, so they shouldn't either" mentality drives me nuts.

NMpaul my problem is not with youth hunting it is with giving them 30 tags and the rest of us 15. Look at the regs this year on the Ibex they doubled the number of tags except for the O-I-L
which stayed at 15 and muzz which went from 20 to 50, if they have that many Ibex give out more O-I-L as well. do you really think it's a good thing to have 100 archery hunters on the hill for 2 2 week seasons? Then they get 10 day break then run 50 muzz hunters? They are going to do the same thing to our Ibex that they have done to the Oryx and Aoudad. What was once a great hunt is now average. Well I am getting off the subject so I will quit now.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]agreed Paul...i 'guided' a family friend/little brother's school teacher to his first bull when i was 11, and killed my own first bull when i was 12 (first year was legal to hunt big game back then) with my trusty 7x57, 'mostly' dressed him, and then walked the 2-3 miles back to camp to get my Dad to help me get that dang thing out of there....have some prints somewhere ol Pops splitting that dude down the middle with the Jonsered :)

i don't say this to boast, but to illustrate that just like older people, kids come in all ability/competency levels, and the good ones generally outperform the 'average' adult!

Read a story one time about a 7 year old AK girl named Fern that killed a giant brown bear with a .338 win mag...then there was another AK youth of around that age that killed a big ol blackie and then exclaimed, "I can't believe I FINALLY got my first bear!!"

now, that's the spirit!

**edit---was responding to the earlier post, typing comes kinda slow for me ;)

I understand what your saying about the ibex.

But, what your missing is that it is not about giving kids their tags it is about the $$$$ you can collect from the adults for their tags on a lower % (muzzleloader/archery).

Do you think they would give all those tags to adults?? The G&F needs to make as much money on the ibex as they can. As long as they are making $ on ibex, there is a good chance they will keep a huntable population there.

Better example is elk and deer. There are assorted youth hunts. Trophy and non trophy.

I want to get kids hunting, and as mentioned before if they cant draw a tag for a couple of years or they end up in a unit 34 deer tag where I constantly talk to people that have hunted 3-4 days and have not even seen a deer it gets tough for a kid to keep his interest.
We are competing with video games and TV. Instant gratification.

There is no better rush than hunting, but, it has to be experienced not explained.

NM has a great youth program, it would be criminal to start tearing it down.

Paul and nmtaxi you hit it right on the head.All kids are different and the parents need to make the choice.the parent should pick when and what they hunt for.Plus how true is it that hunting has changed so much.When I started you got the tag right over the counter and went hunting.Now it can take years to draw and kids will just move on to something then can do with out waiting for the chance.To me this just looks like another way for adults to try and get tags.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]Bill this is in no way for me to get more tags.Hell they give out too many tags now.I am in favor of better hunting not more. I would be in favor of cutting the amount of tags in half and double the price in unit 2b for deer, that way the G&F could get their money and it would be better hunting. I could live with drawing a deer tag every 5-6 years if it was worth it.Last year they gave 1335 tags in that unit for rifle started Oct. 16 and ended Nov 10th which is WAY over hunted. The reason I picked unit 2 was because that is where I live and know the area very well.I just don't see the justification as far as priemium tags for youth. I say hell yea let the kids hunt but don't give them the tags that most of us in our life time will never draw. I hate the statement if they don't draw a tag they will just move on I think that is BS.If everyone is so concerned about our youth hunting throw them in the truck and run them to Texas where they can hunt every year no draw required.What about the folks that can't afford a tag, should we just give them a tag so they can get the kids interested? I don't think so. Sorry but the sooner our kids learn things are not always easy the better. Life is not easy nor is hunting.

I agree to a point.Some units give to many tags and unit 2 could be one.I to would pay more if the game is there to hunt.I just dont think I am spoiling my kid by picking what I think is the best unit for him.I guess I am more a trophy hunter and bringing him up that way also.I would rather have him eat a tag then just kill a young or small deer or elk.Some of this is based on I am from Pa and can not always make the long trips out west.He gets excited by seeing one of our whitetails back in PA and this is after he got his bull elk in new mexico.Life in general has changed since I was a kid.I think there is more for them to do and not always for the better.So hard to keep promising a kid you well take him hunting but never draw a tag.Yes there are places like texas but no elk there unless there in a fenced area which to me is not hunting.Plus texas is as far for me as NM.Maybe the system is unfair but thanks NEW MEXICO for having it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 02:15PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/39371.jpg

the kids are alright...i'm glad some of the premium hunts are YO, it generally makes for a great family experience

**not that a good cow hunt doesn't! an antlerless elk hunt is an ideal first big game hunt for almost any youth

Diamondj:

I agree with you 100%. If youth are ready for that kind of trophy hunt, draw a tag along with all the rest of us. Set aside youth hunts for cow elk, deer, javelina, maybe F-IM ibex and doe antelope.

I don't see the need to cater trophy animals/species to youth-only hunts.

And this is coming from someone who has an up-and-comer that should be ready for hunter's ed within the next year or 2!

At minimum, if youth draw a sheep or other 'primo' tag, it should be treated as a once-in-a-youth-time tag; not allowed to enter again. But again, I don't see the need to set aside a bighorn sheep tag for youth-only.

Carl

"I hate the statement if they don't draw a tag they will just move on I think that is BS"

So... how do you get kids interested in something they cannot partake in? Take them to Texas? Are you serious? So it's okay, as long as it's not in the unit you want to hunt. Geez.

they can put in for my area all they want and draw a tag in the same pool I am drawing from I have absolutly no problem with that. I think Carl gets what I am getting at its the primo tags for "youth only" that burns me. Here is another twist why not set aside tags for the older generation say 65 or 70+ give them one last primo hunt before they go just to say thanks for teaching us?

I would vote for a 65+ hunt.That sounds like a good idea to me.I just dont think there is anything wrong with giving what is called a trophy hunt to a youth.Because I dont believe in killing females or young animals I should not let my kid hunt but 1 year if he draws.Its nice knowing it is only a limited number of hunters in the field so you can teach them how to hunt.So much better then when the so called adult hunters are out road hunting like must do but not all.I think the seasons could be changed or even a youth bow season would be a nice add on.All because a kid can do a hunt does not mean he is still not a kid.Why just throw them in the adult draw for doing the hard work of learning to hunt and shoot.Who is going to decide what the prime tags are.I have heard good and bad about so many units I am not even sure any more.

Interesting comments. I am not a NM resident, but have taken my son on a youth elk hunt in NM and this last year, took my nephew on a youth elk hunt.

It was a life changing experience for my nephew. He lives in the midwest and never thought he would get to hunt elk. He worked his tail off and enjoyed every minute and mile of it.

I bumped into NMtaxi while down there. I met his son, and can say that his son was very excited and appreciative for the opportunity.

Whatever NM wants to do is your business. As a non-resident, I will deal with whatever you guys decide.

I will say that the youth elk hunts are something these kids will never forget. It helps them understand the value of large tracts of habitat, the benefits of stewardship, and why they need to become hunters and conservationists if they want to see hunting continue as they just experienced it.

The hunt with my nephew will be on TV this summer. I am pretty certain that when people see that hunt, and what it meant to both him and I, they will realize the powerful impact youth hunts can have on kids (and uncles).

Thanks New Mexico. I only regret that I am fresh out of teenagers to take to the wilds of New Mexico and show them what little I know about elk hunting and pass on to them my love for wild places with wild elk.

5955img_5747.jpg

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

>Is that wire on that bulls
>antlers?

Yup, and a lot of it. How is that for a character bull. The kid was so happy, he didn't what to say. He had passed so many shots, waiting for something he was dead certain about.

We hiked 8 to 10 miles per day, and he kept up with a big smile on his face. Very proud of him. Kind of neat to watch a young guy start turning to a young man as he proves himself physically and mentally by stepping up to the challenges of elk hunting.

This one didn't come easy, as some have said in this thread. It came out in pieces and he was excited to carry his share, even though I know he was drained. I sure was, and I live at this elevation, so I suspect he was too.

9500nm_elk_cody_2010_058.jpg

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

You Mr. Diamondj and everyone else who disagrees with youths getting quality hunts are WRONG.

New Mexico & Colorado both have outstanding youth hunting programs and my hat is off to both states, especially NM.

The one and only change to our youth hunting program that I would like to see is to make all of the successful applicants of the premium tags sit out a year so other kids can have a better chance to draw. The 16C & 34 youth ES elk hunts are harder to draw than the 1st rifle adult hunts.

The bottom line is the fact that the hunting heritage is rapidly dwindling because of selfish people who think our youth don't deserve quality hunting and even more importantly the massive efforts that PETA is working on in our schools.

Have you not seen the "Your Daddy is a Killer" magazines?

I think it's safe to assume that all of the people who are against youth getting quality hunting tags are probably also donating money to PETA because they are trying to end hunting.

I think the quality youth hunts are awesome and necessary to the future of our sport.

It is our responsibility to insure that every kid that goes hunting has a very positive experience and has the best possible chance to harvest an animal.

I will tell you that my boys drew the 16C youth ES elk hunt several years ago. My younger son shot a cow and my older son shot a nice 5x6. Both worked very hard for their animal, both made great shots, both cleaned, skinned, and quarterd their elk by themselves. I can also tell you that THIS is why they both love hunting now and will always be great stewards and sportsmen for all their lives.

IF we send all of our youth to low quality hunting grounds at difficult times of the year and a very low percentage of them have an opportunity to harvest an animal, we will have a much lower recuitement of future hunters. Don't you get it?

Wanting to put an end to quality youth hunting because you think all the daddys out there are pulling the trigger just tells me that YOU should never get to go on a youth hunt because you sound like you're feeling guilty for past sins.

Sounds to me like you support socialism, because you are describing the same principle. You feel short changed and want to take from others in order to benefit yourself.

Give them the best hunts where & when they will see lots of animals because this will give them more opportunity to TAKE THE TIME THEY NEED TO SETTLE IN AND MAKE CLEAN-ONE SHOT-KILLS!!

I pray that God blesses youth hunting in New Mexico and silences the evil men who oppose it.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

My son started hunting with a cow tag in Valle Vidal, and was able to get one the second day. In my view, this was an ideal first hunt... easy terrain, lots of elk, and as a cow, no pressure from Mom and Dad to hold out for a bigger trophy. That first hunt was a great family experience (except for the ATVs whizzing by miles off road while we were packing out the quarters, but that is a different issue). My son has gone on to hunt most game here, and killed several cow elk and a couple small bulls. The size of the antlers, or even presence of antlers, does not define the quality of our hunts together. I do think plentiful game and multiple opportunities are important for young kids, since they take a while to get set up and steady for a kill shot, hence Valle Vidal, maybe Valles Caldera? cow hunts are ideal for kids. Killing a monster bull at 10 or 12 years old is probably more important to Dad than to the kid.

In recent years, NM has developed some great youth opportunities and we are grateful to have been able to get my son out on a couple of them. Of course, for a family outing, a decent quail or dove hunt, no draw required, is something we all love to do! Even my daughter who does not want to shoot big game.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-11 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]Cuacopollo, great comments. It is parents like you & I who are teaching their kids the right things that will help to insure the survival of the hunting heritage for generations to come.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-11 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-11 AT 09:36?AM (MST)

1fastgambler it is like your words came from my heart.

The youth program in NM is top notch.

I have 2 daughters, 11 and 13. Both hunt, with the oldest taking on OFF RANGE oryx after 10 days of hunting, culminating in a 600 yd stalk, the final 100 yds on her belly, and shooting an animal at over 325 yds. The little bull, didn't take a single step and fell where he stood.

Fast forward a year, and she covered almost 29 miles in 3 days on the Valle Vidal, and took a cow elk at 252 yards ( she helped pack that beast out 3 miles ).

A month after that hunt her younger sister ate tag soup, after 9+ days of chasing off range oryx, she has buck fever and just couldn't get it done.

SHE made the choice to not put in the draw this year because she doesn't feel ready to shoot big game just yet. HOW MANY FULL GROWN MEN CAN LOOK AT THEMSELVES IN THE MIRROR AND SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT ABOUT THEMSELVES.

She stacks coyotes and ducks with the best of them.

My oldest daughter attends quite the liberal charter school in Abq, and has had to defend her passion for hunting to teachers and students alike. It brings tears to my eyes that she will stand toe to toe with whomever and discuss stewardship of the animals and the wilds. ( I had to talk with a teacher after she said my daughter was snotty, when she said "Does the hamburger you just ate come from a cow who died in it's sleep?"

The litle one, who couldn't pull the trigger? She is now thinking of a career in wildlife biology and sciences.

This greed to take tags from kids is so foreign to me. Would I love some of their opportunities, sure. Would I ever dream of taking that from them, NEVER!

There are so many reports that the number of sportsmen in this country are falling.

Where do we look to find those willing to fight for this heritage and tradition? Those who will have a love for these sports that we so vehemently argue over?

Look HERE !

PA311149.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

DSC02036.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

buddies.jpg

Good luck and good hunting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Great post nmyotebuster.

No question that NM does more for youth hunters than any other state.
Them getting a few trophy tags is the least of this states hunting issues.
I would like them to get more. I would like to see more kids hunting.
I have been involved in kids other than mine hunting and it is more satisfying than hunting myself.
Those of you that have issues with the youth hunts I urge you not try to beat them, but, join them. Take on a youth that you know that likes to hunt, help them apply, take them shooting then take them hunting. I think your outlook will change.

This subject has really rubbed me raw this morning.

My wife teaches a 12 year old young man piano ( his dad isn't around much ), and he always asks about the bows on my daughter's walls. The euro mounts on their dressers. He even took the time to research youth bows, and with a disheartened look said there was no way he could afford one.

Tuesday I will offer him one of the girls' beginner bows, if he is willing to give me a few hours SIDE by SIDE with me, doing some lawn raking and clean up

If necessary, I will accompany this youth to Hunter's Education if his parents cannot take him ( I have spoken with his mom previously and she supports that ), and will have him over when we shoot, scout etc.

He won't get in the draw this year, but there is always dove/duck/yotes/bowfishing etc

I hereby pledge to take 1 youth who has never been hunting and who shows the desire, or want to see what it is all about, and may not have the parents who hunt or the fiscal opportunities, EVERY YEAR, until I cannot hunt any more.

And in the end I will be hunting more than I ever dreamed, be it at the side of a youth with a tag

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW NMYB... you just about made my eyeballs leak. Your pledge is amazing. The fact that that kid is showing interest and the willingness to put forth some effort to earn a bow is world class man, world class. Please send me a PM if there is anything I can do to help you. My boys have friends that are in similar situations and I too will make more of a commitment to insure that these kids get the opportunity to learn about all the wonderful things they are missing out on.

Also, please tell your daughters that they have a hero in Farmington!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-11 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]I truly cannot believe that a father of a child that loves to hunt would think that their kid having a chance at a legitimate trophy is wrong.
Just can't believe it.

Another thing is the suggestion that "Dad's pulling the trigger"

It may happen from time to time, but I can't imagine such selfishness.
Never in my life would I screw my kid out of his tag, I find that to be wrong beyond words and can hardly imagine a greater insult.
I'll help him in every way I can, camping, hiking, packing, you name it, but when crunch time comes it's all on him, it's been that way since the day he first set foot in the woods with me.
The photos I share on MM are enduring treasures that we share and represent some of the best times of our lives together, the smiles real as we enjoy the fleeting moment of success.
My son is 18 now and unable to apply in some states for youth hunts, but the opportunities allowed him will last his entire lifetime.

Kid's are no different than us, an exceptional animal allows them to share stories with the big boys, it fuels their pride and passion for our great sport of hunting.
To suggest that they be restricted to cows, does & forked horns is ridiculous.
When my son sits around the campfire he is an equal, and garners the respect deserved by an apprenticeship served well by an outstanding student.

Just my two bits.

61964_103005889762939_100001605848906_22006_1149067_n.jpg

60546_102651799798348_100001605848906_18915_4983736_n.jpg

60544_102949703101891_100001605848906_21358_615185_n.jpg

58577_102946536435541_100001605848906_21330_7678391_n.jpg

60812_102944839769044_100001605848906_21319_661323_n.jpg

63536_102961636434031_100001605848906_21532_7648379_n.jpg

62880_102979376432257_100001605848906_21682_1199256_n.jpg

58615_102990203097841_100001605848906_21819_4749589_n.jpg

62365_104707446259450_100001605848906_36484_988291_n.jpg

164386_130392627024265_100001605848906_209145_6582292_n.jpg

59958_102954126434782_100001605848906_21472_315910_n.jpg

HH, how do you and your son sleep at night knowing that he STOLE those tags from much more deserving adults that earned the right to hunt something with bone on its head!?! ;-). I tell you, the youth of today are ruining the sport.

NM bar none, has the best youth hunts around, and I applaud the NMG&F every chance I get for their youth hunts. I along with many others did not have these opportunities growing up in NM, and am very glad they do now.

I have been taking kids for years, and it has gotten much better when the G&F set aside the youth hunts at the prime times.

TT

Harry, you have set the standard for getting your boy on quality animals.
There is nothing more satisfying than watching your son turn into a hunter before your eyes.
NM understands about getting kids involved in hunting. There is super high quality youth hunts and also average quality and cow elk youth hunts.
Great to have kids out when there are not to many people in the field.

BTW, Harry, I got my 3-way oil stone yesterday. Awesome. I plan on spending some time with it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

HH,

Those are amazing pictures, and I bet they don't do near the justice to the memories you have with your son.

Congratulations to you for getting him involved, and to him for some amazing animals ( I am more than a tad jealous ).

That is what hunting, family and the future of our sport is all about!

NMYB

I think there should be more youth hunts. n.m. has done a great job with the youth, no my kids have not drawn a tag ,but thats the draw. If a kid goes out on a hunt and has a great time but dont harvest ,its still the best time ever. My state has a very limited youth oppertunity and cost more to hunt here then if I take them out of state. Its all are job to keep hunting alive and keep new hunters joining are passion. This just me but if I had the oppertunity to give my points to my kids , it would be done in a heart beat, I just cant belive people crying about the youth having to much hunting oppertunity. n.m. paul you sound like a great man , there needs to be more of use out there . take a kid hunting and enjoy there exp. successful or not. its will be the best hunt .

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom