Youth mentoring

canyoncrosser

If I am reading the regulations correctly, a non-resident such as myself, can mentor a tag to an Utah resident youth but not an Utah nonresident?
Therefore, I would be unable to mentor my own son?

Correct.
(3) "Qualifying Minor" means a Utah Resident who is under 18 at the time of application for the Mentor Program and who is otherwise eligible to lawfully hunt.

If I am reading the regulations correctly, a non-resident such as myself, can mentor a tag to an Utah resident youth but not an Utah nonresident?
Therefore, I would be unable to mentor my own son?
Correct.
(3) "Qualifying Minor" means a Utah Resident who is under 18 at the time of application for the Mentor Program and who is otherwise eligible to lawfully hunt.
So they actually just changed this law this year and it was approved by the wildlife board earlier this month. The description below was from the RAC packet for the June meeting.

"R657-67-2. Definitions.
(1) Terms used in this rule are defined in Section 23-13-2 and this Subsection.
(2) "Hunting Mentor" means a Resident or Nonresident individual possessing a valid permit issued by the Division to take protected wildlife in Utah and who is 21 years of age or older at the time of application for the Mentor Program.
(3) "Qualifying Minor" means a Utah Resident or Nonresident who is under 18 at the time of application for the Mentor Program and who is otherwise eligible to lawfully hunt.
(4) "Wildlife document" means a permit to hunt protected wildlife or Division-issued authorization to share such a permit."

I'm not 100% on when this would take effect, but you may be able to mentor him this year. I would call the division and see if you can get an answer.

I pulled that from the divisions site. You could be right as I see the proposal. However the state has not made the update to public records as far as I can see.

Funny story..... A couple years ago I was helping with a Pauns rifle hunt. We ran into a family off the side of the road. They had a buck bedded and were working on a plan to make a play. We decided to watch the action unfold from a distance. Next thing we see.... Two young ladies, (teenagers) are setting up rifles on shooting sticks. Both ready to shoot as Dad moves to skyline and get the buck to stand. Buck stands, 3 shots later by each girl and the buck runs off. Not even close. haha.. Talking to them after the shots, come to find out, Grandpa had drawn the tag and was mentoring. I do believe they only had plans to take one buck, but it was definitely going to be a team effort. Those girls were having the time of their lives with Grandpa. I couldn't bring myself to turn them in. I figured the Fish cop would run into them at some point.

Funny story..... A couple years ago I was helping with a Pauns rifle hunt. We ran into a family off the side of the road. They had a buck bedded and were working on a plan to make a play. We decided to watch the action unfold from a distance. Next thing we see.... Two young ladies, (teenagers) are setting up rifles on shooting sticks. Both ready to shoot as Dad moves to skyline and get the buck to stand. Buck stands, 3 shots later by each girl and the buck runs off. Not even close. haha.. Talking to them after the shots, come to find out, Grandpa had drawn the tag and was mentoring. I do believe they only had plans to take one buck, but it was definitely going to be a team effort. Those girls were having the time of their lives with Grandpa. I couldn't bring myself to turn them in. I figured the Fish cop would run into them at some point.
I actually think you can have multiple youths designated on the tag for mentoring

I know both the mentor and youth can have weapons, I’m saying no more than one mentored youth at a time can hunt. I’m reasonably confident that is the rule. Not certain without looking it up, but reasonably confident. You can mentor up to 4 youth, I believe, but only one youth at a time may hunt.

I know both the mentor and youth can have weapons, I’m saying no more than one mentored youth at a time can hunt. I’m reasonably confident that is the rule. Not certain without looking it up, but reasonably confident. You can mentor up to 4 youth, I believe, but only one youth at a time may hunt.
I haTe saY thIs, buT niLla's riGht. daMn

Screenshot_20230623_212417_Chrome.jpg

But Did You Read Post # 8 Niller?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom