Youth Rifle Bull Hunt In 16c

DGROVE

I know the timing and subject of this post is a little touchy. So I apologize in advance if this offends anyone.
My 9 year old son was lucky enough this year to draw a great tag, the youth 16c ES elk rifle. New Mexico has been great to him the last couple of years with a deer and an antelope tag in units 13(deer) and 31(antelope). With some hard work he was successful on both of those hunts.
We have been spending our evenings(after baseball)on Google Earth learning what we can about the unit. We live in CA and the drive will be about 20 hours. We will probably tow a travel trailer there for the hunt and should be able to get there a couple of days early to scout some. It looks like we will coming into the unit from the north either from Datil or the VLA. Once in the heart of the unit it looks like Winston is the closest place for Diesel, water and ice?
I do have a few questions for those of you that have hunted or spent some time in the unit.

Any suggestions on where to camp?

The bulls should still be rutting pretty good....right? The season date are Oct 7-11 this year.

From reading through the archived threads it sounds like the bulls can get a little call shy after the archery hunts. What do you guys think about that?

As far as quality of bulls go. I know that is all relative on how hard you work, how lucky you get and a bunch of other factors. I would like to do the tag justice while still balancing the fun factor for the boy. For his age he is pretty tough and patient, but he is still a kid. What do you think the ballpark potential is?

Any suggestions on starting points where the elk could be that time of year?
Feel free to PM me or you can e-mail me @ [email protected]

Also, If someone is good at posting pictures, e-mail me and I can send you the pictures of his deer and antelope. Thank you, Dan

All I can tell you here is I put my son in for that hunt for 8 years and never drew it your son is a lucky dog.

88297img1948.jpg

73665img2232.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Here are a couple pictures of the kids New Mexico deer and antelope.

Hello Guys, Just checking in with everyone now that the Archery hunts are over or just about over. Any pictures? My son is fired up about his hunt and can't wait till we leave. I'm excited too. I would rather hunt with the kids than for myself. It adds another level of excitement, for sure.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom