Youth Rifle Suggestions

BucCrazy1

Hey all, looking to get my Daughter her first Deer Rifle. She's on the petite side and doing some research I'm leaning towards the Remington 700 .243. Are there any pros/cons between the 20" barrel vs the 24"? Any other options i should be looking at?

Thanks
Brandon

The last youth rifle I bought was a 20" 7mm-08, Remington Model Seven. I personally don't like skinny bullets for deer, and the 7mm caliber gives you better efficiency from a short barrel. Shoot the 120 grain bullets for low recoil. The Model Seven also has a shorter forend, shorter length of pull, and the trigger is closer to the pistol grip (good for small hands).

A short barrel is lighter and easier to carry/maneuver. A long barrel gives you better velocity and maybe a bit more steadiness while shooting. The extra 100-150 fps you'll get from 4" more barrel won't be very significant unless you're trying to push the limits of terminal performance, like at 400+ yards in the case of a .243, .260, or 7mm-08.

I have a used model Remington 700 in 243. my kids have all shot it. I’ve even taken it on an antelope hunt. I ended up purchasing an adult stock that fit on nicely, but I find myself going back to the youth stock for the kids. It’s been great. I know the limits of the gun and limits of the shooter. Bullets are easy to find.

Made this girl smile on her first hunt last fall.
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg

I bought my oldest a savage 6.5cm so I will repurpose it with a youth stock and will cut the barrel and thread for suppressor. They can shoot it short without or suppressed

I have a used model Remington 700 in 243. my kids have all shot it. I’ve even taken it on an antelope hunt. I ended up purchasing an adult stock that fit on nicely, but I find myself going back to the youth stock for the kids. It’s been great. I know the limits of the gun and limits of the shooter.

Made this girl smile on her first hunt last fall. View attachment 139882

Weatherby Vangaurd compact…… have had a few over the years while the kids were hunting. All have been in 243 and every one has grouped well enough to really make me scratch my head as to why I purchase higher dollar rifles……..

Bought a Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor for my wife back in 2021... my now 14 year old daughter shot it a lot in 2022 in preparation for her first deer hunt that year. She did very well with it. She's average height and athletic build.

Check out the weatherby Camilla. It's has a stock design made for smaller frames. My niece shoots one, won't mention the caliber:LOL:. But is a tack driver. 20" barrel with a smaller brake. Shoots great and is easy to carry. We take this one for all new shooters as it almost forces the shooter to get into the scope properly with how the stock is designed.

A good adjustable stock could fit a growing optimally kid every year. There are good aftermarket options for most current popular rifles, kind of depends on how much you want to spend.

Check out the weatherby Camilla. It's has a stock design made for smaller frames. My niece shoots one, won't mention the caliber:LOL:. But is a tack driver. 20" barrel with a smaller brake. Shoots great and is easy to carry. We take this one for all new shooters as it almost forces the shooter to get into the scope properly with how the stock is designed.
Second to this my wife also shoots one, (probably the same caliber), she has taken a nice bull elk, antelope, and a desert sheep, prior to that she used a full size model 70 in 270, I cut the stock down for but it was always front heavy and she had way more difficulty getting on target, we also have a savage youth and ladies 110 in 243 that she and my son used it was also very accurate my son killed his first buck with it, my wife also took a buck with it.

Start my daughters out with a browning hells canyon speed chambered in 6.5CM
oldest daughter was petite maybe 70 lbs when she started shooting it. 11 years old. She now shoots a 6.5 prc
Youngest now 11 has moved up to the 6.5 CM
243 or 7mm-08 are both great starter calibers also.
Good for deer, antelope and smaller sized elk (spike/cow)

I bought two of my daughters Tikka T3 Lite rifles, in a .270.
They shoot great of of the box, and little recoil.

Take a look at the Howa1500 superlite.
20” barrel, threaded barrel, 4pounds 7 ounces, .243, 7mm-08, 308, 6.5 CM.
Multiple reviews favorable.
$900 at Brownells!!

Confidence in, and history with your rifle is valuable.I’d lean towards a rifle she can handle
now but build both of these for many years. My daughter @ 9 drew her first tag so I was up against this as well. We went with the WBY Camilla, it fit her then and fits her now @ 14 and I don’t see that changing, she loves Her rifle! I went with the 6.5 CM chambering and had a break added, I figured either way I’d keep her ears protected. The recoil is next to nothing, and managed to get a truly honest trigger pull out of her. She has seen bullet impact. She shoots a 129gr. ABLR @ 2850, the math works, especially with good bullet placement. These kids grow up fast, if I had to do over I may of bumped up just a hint on the cartridge size, but so far that CM has handled its Biz. I highly recommend you have her shoulder one, and they offer them at many price levels. I don’t feel sorry for the next critter in my daughters scope, once again most likely a good ethical kill. Good luck to you sir.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom