Youth setup

400bull

Very Active Member
I have a boy whose 13th birthday is coming up this weekend. Ever since we went to our family reunion he has been asking to get a bow for his birthday. Here is where my problem is, 1) it has been some time since I last picked up my bow so I am out dated on technology. What should I look for in a bow? The kid is only 13 but he is a tall 13 year old. The last we measured him he stood a whooping 5? 10? tall. Being this tall I think that I will need to go to the adult versions of bows but I'm not sure he has the strength to pull back a 40 lb plus bow. Any thoughts on where to start? 2) The kid is cross-eye-dominate. Meaning that he is right handed but left eye dominates. I taught him to show his rifle left hand and he had been very successful at that. Should I get him a left hand bow or should I allow him to shoot with his strong side (right hand)?

400bull

1. What to look for in a bow.
Adjustability. There are lots of bows out there that offer a wide range of adjustment, for both draw length and weight.
2. Cross eye dominance.
I don't have any idea. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on that.

Since archery season is so close, and your boy has no expereience, I'm assuming you are not going to let him hunt this year.

I would go with a bow that is easy to draw. He will gain alot of strength by next year. You will be better off getting him a low draw weight and teaching him how to shoot it well before you go up in poundage. He will be more comfortable learning with a low draw weight. Once you've got the basics instilled into him, bump up the weight.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

IDABOW,

Hunting is not an option this year. I don't want him to have a bad experience wounding and animal or getting frustrated with the learning curve. I'll probably run him down to a local pro shop with in the next couple of days to get him sized. that way I at lest know what size range I should be looking at.

Unless anyone can give me a reason not to have him shoot left handed I plan on teaching him to shoot left handed. I know that his left arm is not as strong as his right at this time so I would anticipate starting him out in the 20-30 lb range and work up from there.

I have been eyeing the Diamonds Razor Edge and Bears Apprentice 2 youth bow packages. I like the draw length options on the Diamond Edge (19" to 29")but I am worried about the 30 lb minimum. I know that each kid id different but do you think that 30 lb is to high especially considering that he will be shooting left handed?

400bull

Check out the mission craze adjustable from 29lbs to almost 70,I just did the very same thing for my daughter that is left eye but right handed.She could shoot anything with a bulls eye fine but when you put a solid target there she couldn't tell how high she was holding,works alot better left handed

400: +1 on having him shoot left handed. I also have the left eye dom. issue do to vision issues and shoot left handed. I have found that with reps. the left arm does pretty well at building strength quickly. You want your son to be comfortable shooting and left handed with his eye issues is the way to go>

Starting your son out keep it fun and simple: Don't over pound him yet at the price of quality bows these days. I know you want to get him something he can grow into and shoot for quite a while. Your looking at some nice bows, check out all the quality manufactures on line and read the specific stats on bow weight. I purchased our Grandson a Bear and it is hanging on the rack for my wife to play with because it was to heavy once all the do dads were added. We settled on a PSE Chaos because it was quality as well as the lightest quality bow I could get him into. Right now my small framed 10 yr. old Grandson is shooting just under 30 pounds. I just decided that when it was time we would just purchse the next set of limbs for him. The Diamonds are nice but just bit heavier so pick something you like as well as light weight as possible for your son to carry in the field humping those ridges :) With your son being older he should be able to handle a few more ounces but don't make it pounds and that what happens in the less expensive bows..They are always a heavier bow so keep that in mind when choosing your son a bow.

Also we purchased him some quality arrows and had them cut about 3 inches longer so he could have some growing room and not replace arrows for awhile...at the prices these days. The longer arrows are not an issue and our Grandson has been in them for about two years now and he shoots them fine out to 40+. Your lucky at your son's age you can get him hunting next year. We must wait a little longer....Have fun selecting your sons bow :)

))))------->

400: Also we have found that when you purchase the youth bow packages the accessories that come in the package like sights etc. are junk and break within a year. I would take a hard look at purchasing "Bow only" and then add the quality accessories that best fit your pocket book. That way your son will have some nice stuff that can always be transferred to another bow sometime as he gets older.

))))------->

I don't know anything about cross eye dominance, but it sounds like having him shoot left handed might be the way to go.

He will build strength very quickly, I'm sure 30 pounds would be fine. If you are taking him to a shop, they should have multiple bows for him to try and figure out the best weight for him.

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend much on a youth bow. I think that by his next birthday (14th if I'm not mistaken) that he will be able to shoot a 50 or even 60 pound bow with ease. I think you will be surprised at how quickly he builds his strength, especially if he shoots if often. I can definitely see him shooting a fullsize hunting bow by next spring, if he's 5'10" now, he'll likely be needing a bow with a 30" draw if he's going to keep it for a few years.

So, in short, my advice is to get him a cheap (not crappy) youth bow to shoot for the next several months and then step him up to a full size hunting bow for next hunting season.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

my youngest daughter is right handed left eye dominate. So I started her shooting left handed. She is eight years old and can pull 30 lbs. She only weighs 50 lbs.

If I were you id keep him shooting out of his dominate eye and pick up an adult bow. Your kid sounds like he is big enough to handle an adult bow with light limbs. No need to set them up in a youth bow and have to up grade.

Just make sure it is adjustable in draw.

Mission Craze is a great bow. My son has been shooting it since he was 9 1/2, adjusted it up for my wife to hunt with recently to 29" draw and 53 pounds, shoots great. He will get to buy his next bow.
Spear

my dad bought me when i was 11 a mission menance by mattews. it goes from 19 to 29 inch draw lenght. 33 to 55 pound draw weight. i have kiled 2 deer with it. now i am 17 and i am shooting it i have shooting 50 arrows a day through it.

I am left eye dominant but right handed, just like your son. I have always shot a rifle left handed and a bow right handed. Probably like your son, shooting a gun lefty always felt natural to me and pulling back a bow and shooting a bow righty always was the most natural. I have always been able to shoot just fine this way. The only issue I have ever encountered caused by my left eye dominance has just started occurring this past year or two (I'm 38). My eyesight in my right eye is not as good and i don't think I'm picking up my targets as well when shooting a bow. So time will tell, but so,far thats been the only issue. Kip

I think you are getting some good advice here. My daughter is right handed and left eye dominant. She shoots her bow and rifle left handed. I would have him shoot left handed as long as it feels OK to him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom