Youth with 0 points

oldmossback

My youngest will be old enough to hunt next year and he is more stoked then his older brother was. The problem now is with the points creep ,with 0 points he has almost no chance at getting a decent unit like his brother did 2 years ago. He isnt interested in a doe hunt either. What would you suggest? Any ideas?

Tons of units he can draw with 0 points. Plus, with youth preference, 15% of the tags go to youths. I'm in the same boat, taking my 12 and 14 year old nephew's for the first time. I'm putting them in for 3rd season buck and bull. 2nd choice will be for a unit with OTC elk tags. Whatever you decide, I hope you and your son have a great hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-10 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Thanks Zekers, but I was told by the DOW that 15% is only alotted for youth when it comes to leftovers or cow/dow hunts. I was told that if they want to apply for a draw tag for a buck or bull they will be in the same boat as all the rest of the adults. My oldest got drawn his 1st year on a buck tag and applied again last year and did not get drawn. I called and asked why not as he had the same amount of points (0) . DOW said he just got lucky his 1st year. now that same unit takes 2 points.
Also Zekers, beware of the leftover tags. we did that last year for bucks and bulls and well lets just say that there is a reason they are left over...
Beleave me I would love to find a 3rd season area for the boys that could be drawn easy and was a decent hunt. Pm me and we can share some info if you would like.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-10 AT 10:26PM (MST)[p]You can still put in for a pp and draw a doe/cow on the 15% youth alottment second choice and he can hunt that buck/bull in your prefered unit in a year or two and beleive me he will be more excited with a doe kill than he thinks he will be, my kids were. And he can learn all about the pleasures of gutting and packing out game.And that buck down the road will be all that more special.And does make for good table fair and are a big part of game management. This may make more sense than chasing around in unfamiliar units. good luck have fun

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom