Yreka

maddog58

Looking at moving in a couple of years to N. Cali from the Central Valley. How is the Yreka area for hunting,fishing and general way of life? Any other suggestions to live? Has to be Cali as I work for the State

At there rodeo....Instead of a gold buckle, they give away a beutifuly engraved 50cal flintlock rifle for 1st place. Sounds like my kinda town. I've never lived there, but that place is know for some pretty good fishing, blacktail, and bear hunting.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I grew up about 1.5hrs. from Yreka a little further north and east. Overall pretty good area for hunting and fishing. Good fly fishing in the area and even better if you include S. Oregon to Redding. Some of the best fishing is on the Sacramento near Redding. Also pretty good bass fishing in the area and on Shasta Lake. Good waterfowl hunting but better near Tulelake. Deer hunting will be dependent on what you want, Blacktail or Mule Deer. Both could be good, although I don't know much about the Blacktail side. Some decent elk hunting as well and antelope are not far. Don't know much about bear but I'm sure they are around.

Jazz

Jazz forgot one thing, the wind blows constantly. But ohter than that he nailed thew hunting. Where are you at Jazz? Alturas area? I grew up outside of Redding.

I have lived in and around Yreka for 39yrs. The deer hunting is nowhere near what it use to be but that is just about everywhere. But honestly if you are an outdoorsman this is great place to live and raise a family. Small town, everyone knows your buisness but thats a small price to pay. If you love hunting, fishing, camping, hiking etc. it's tough to beat. Not alot of pheasant hunting but everthing else is available on public land and we do get all four seasons most of the time.

Good luck,

Slide

We drove back from Oregon last summer through Yreka and I remember it really caught my eye. It was beautiful. Sounds like a very nice place to reside.

Steve

I grew up in yreka, Lived there for 25 years and my parents still live there. As far as hunting goes the previous guys are correct. But it is not as good as it used to be. Since I will not be going hunting back there anymore(I live in colorado now) I can give you lots of pointers. I killed just as big of bucks there as here in colorado. There is bear,pig,waterfowl,groundhogs, elk,fishing etc. If you ever need anything or any info feel free to ask away.
Actually we have a house for sale there right now.

I grew up in yreka, Lived there for 25 years and my parents still live there. As far as hunting goes the previous guys are correct. But it is not as good as it used to be. Since I will not be going hunting back there anymore(I live in colorado now) I can give you lots of pointers. I killed just as big of bucks there as here in colorado. There is bear,pig,waterfowl,groundhogs, elk,fishing etc. If you ever need anything or any info feel free to ask away.
Actually we have a house for sale there right now.
I’m headed to Yreka for the deer opener September 16th. Do you have any recommendations for me on where I should go for Blacktail out of Yreka?
Thanks,
Bull

Too close to I-5. If you like high desert, look to the east. If you like tall trees, look west. You will find small towns with less traffic in either direction. Northern California is more remote than most of Montana once you get away from the I-5 corridor.

Too close to I-5. If you like high desert, look to the east. If you like tall trees, look west. You will find small towns with less traffic in either direction. Northern California is more remote than most of Montana once you get away from the I-5 corridor.
Yup, lots of Banjo music playing in the back ground as well if you know what I mean?:LOL:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom