Yukon Moose & Sheep - September 2016

bobby7321

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-16 AT 11:14AM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]Me and my father hunted with Jim & Adrienne Fink (Blackstone Outfitters) back in 2013. Due to bad luck and bad weather, we came home empty handed. We just recently returned from a return trip, and we more than made up for it.

Jim operates in the Olgilvie Mountains in one of the most northern concessions in the Yukon. Lots of moose, lots of sheep, along with caribou (mountain, and on certain years the Porcupine Herd), and grizzly bears.

We hunted September 14th-23rd. I took my HS Precision .300WSM (168 gr TTSX), and my dad had his new Fierce in .300 WM (180 gr TTSX).

Guided by Jim & Adrienne's son, Warren, and apprentice guide Dusten, we headed on the Peel River via jetboat. The rut seemed slow to come on. Lots of tracks but nothing responding, and not many scrapes or rubs. Worked our way down river until finally on day 6 we enter a pristine meadow. Gave a couple cow calls and a very nice bull comes out about 150 yards away and comes right in. Two shots later he drops and the 16 days on the river are all worth it.

25981.jpg

Bull was just shy of 60" wide (59.5") and had a drop tine and lots of character. An old bull to boot.

462652.jpg

866053.jpg

579264.jpg

267615.jpg

With a few days left on the hunt, and two sheep tags in our pockets, we decided to go look for some rams. We rode and hiked the first day, and ended up spotting two good looking rams on the first day (hunt day 8). Made a plan to put the sneak on them and of course they were nowhere to be found by the time we got there, about 3 hours later. We figured they couldn't have gone far, and we'll try again in the morning. As soon as we left camp, we saw two dots on the same mountain as the previous day. Only they had moved around and now were on the opposite face. We rode the horses down into a draw and out of sight. The rams were only about 600-700 yards away, but any direct approach and we would be out in the open. My dad had been doing fine and hiking the hills like a champ, but with this being the last full day to get it done, and one hell of a hike backtracking up and around to stay out of view, we decided it was best for me to go for it. about 2.5 hours later, me and Tyler (guide) were belly crawling up the mountain to get in position. Ram was obviously good length wise, but he wanted to make sure he was 8 years or older (Blackstone policy). So for the next 30 mins we kept moving slowly to get a good angle to count rings. Finally Tyler gave me the green light, I crawled up to a small rise, and let him have it at about 150 yards.

440286.jpg

349697.jpg

This hunt was pretty special. I turned 38 the day before I shot this ram. It also happened to be the 1 year anniversary of taking my dad to Stanford to have emergency surgery (Neck fusion, due to a fracture on the c1/c2). He also then had a stem cell transplant in February. Needless to say, a lot of things have happened within the last year. I'm sure his surgeon would ##### a brick if he knew what we were doing. Oh well, this is what we live for! Proud of him for staying in the gym, and keeping himself in shape for the trip. I truly believe that having these type of things to look forward to can drastically improve ones health, mental and physical.

Happy Birthday to me! Back at basecamp. Hot shower. Hot food. and Carrot CAKE!

880088.jpg

Thanks to Jim & Adrienne Fink for running a great operation. I would highly recommend them for Moose and/or sheep. He has a lot of sheep, and lots of areas that have not been hunted. Sheep range from pure white Dalls, to some really dark Fannins. I saw photos of some rams that were as dark as any Stone sheep I've seen. You can also see the black/grey is pretty apparent in my ram as well. I didn't bother measuring or scoring him. I just know he was at least 9 years old. Widest ram they killed all year. He also had a very nice thick coat.

Of course here is a video of the hunt as well. Hope you like it!

https://vimeo.com/185258297

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-16 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]Congrats to you and your Dad on the fine trophies bobby!
You are livin large, killin two Stones in consecutive years (albeit one of them is the light variety)!
I'd be happy with one in a lifetime. :)

Love the video!

Sounds like you have a serious bit of Ovisitis...but I like your thinking.
Most would be happy with the four, but a set of six would be even better!

I attempted finishing my quad set last year, but never found a legal Stone, so I'd be a bit envious. Not sure I will get a second chance like you and your Dad. :(

I hope you get that stone! I'm going to play the draws for the other 3. I figure I have time (before having to fork over the big bucks).

Side note: If anyone is interested in these fannin/stone sheep up in the Northern Yukon with Blackstone. They go for about 1/2 the price of a BC stone hunt. just FYI.

Congratulations on a great hunting adventure most only dream of.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Nice job Bobby on your dads bull and your ram. Great video as always. What's your next adventure? I never really thought I had the sheep bug but after that Dall I am itching for a Stone or Fannin.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-16 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]Thank you!
Only thing on the books right now is Australia next summer with Simon Kyle-Little and Kodiak in spring 2018 with Scott Miluer. Besides that hoping something pops up, either draw a tag somewhere in the west or maybe a cancellation too good to pass up comes along. I know what you mean. I'm seriously itching to get back chasing sheep asap. Shoot me a PM or email anytime you want to talk sheep! I can give you my thoughts on a couple of Stone outfitters. If one of these fannin look interesting, do not hesitate to talk to Jim Fink. A very friendly and well run operation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom