Zamberlan or HanWag?

RidgeRebel

I am in the market for some high quality boots and I am curious what others have experienced. I have narrowed my choices down to either the Zamberlan Guide GTX or the HanWag Alaska GTX. I have a line on pretty good discount on both. So that being said, which would you go with?

Thanks

I have the HanWag GTX and love them. Best boots I've owned for mountain hunting. Pricey, but all good ones are.

T264

I do a TON of chukar hunting in some nasty country. Not too mention big game hunts each year. And the Cabelas Meindls are my choice, I am on year 4 for the pair I have. I would give them serious consideration.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-15 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]I had Hanwags from Lathrop and Sons and they fell apart on the inside after 1 year. All the inner seams tore. I got elk blood on them on hunt and the leather shrunk and got hard as a rock, then the insides fell apart. All this in 1 season. I was super disappointed as they were the most expensive pair of boots I'd ever bought. I'll never buy them again.

I now wear Cabelas Meindls and love them. My favorite is the Denali Hunter. I did have the same problem with the seams on the insides coming apart on my Meindl Denalis, but it was after 4 seasons instead of 1 season. I also have tried the Meindel perfekt hunters and hikers and I really like the cork insoles. I put a pair of the cork insoles in my Denali hunters and that is about the best combo I've found for me.

There are lots of Meindl models, but make sure you get the ones with the digifix lacing, they make a backpacker model that doesn't have it and they don't fit the same.

One of my buddies has Zamberlans and Meindl perfects. He tells me he likes the Meindls better, but the Zamberlans are close and he can get a better price on the Zamberlans.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Dax

I wear the Zamberlan Guide GTX boot in the summer and Cabalas Meindls in the colder times. The Meindls have thinsulate in them.
Both are great boots, I will buy another pair when these wear out. I don't know if they are the best but they are real good.

I've had several pairs of the top boots out there. This past season was my second year on the Hanwags and they are the best fitting boots I've worn. I hunt, hike and scout alot in some pretty.rough country and they have held up very well.
Great boots

The advice I would give you is. Find a place that you can try them on. I bought a pair of Kenetrek boots. Which I think are a good boot. I just have a very wide foot. I did send them back and they had the cobbler work them for me and did make them better. But it doesn't matter how good the boots are. If they don't fit your foot correctly they aren't good for you. So if you find a shop that has the brands you like. Go and have them fit you into a boot. I will do the same some time soon. :) If you know what I mean.

I had the Hanwags and they fell apart at the seams after 2 seasons. They were comfortable but not built for rough use. I then tried the Zamberlans and they didn't fit worth a crap so I sent them back. I now have two pairs of Crispis and really like them. I also have the Cabelas/Meindels and don't care for them as much as the Crispis.

Well since we have made this into an any brand boot discussion, I will chime in with my experience. As others have said it depends on how they fit and it also is just plain how they last for any specific person. Kinda like a Chevy, Ford,Dodge debate.
I tried Cabelas Meindls perfekt hikers. I wore them every day for work and out hunting. Mine didn't last one year. The stitching came apart and the sole was wore completely out. They werevery comfy though.Then I tried Kenetrek. First pair had the rubber cap on the front start comming unglued after about two months of on and off hunting, sent them back and the second pair did the same thing. When I talked to the reps at oneof the shows in Reno they told me it was my fault for using a petrolem based boot conditioner. I let them know I DID NOT, I used only Danner conditioner and is not petro based. They blew me off and said not there problem. Comfort was very good. Next I tried some Danner pronghorns knowing they didn't have good reviews to last. They were probably the most comfortable for me but the reviews were right, they only lasted about three months wearing them every day at work. Next I tried Hanwags. Not the GTX, I'm not sure what model but purchased them online. They fit very well and were very comfortable. Problem with them is the heal wore out after about 8 months. I liked them well enough to have them repaired, but then after about a year they started leaking. I was wearing them every day for work and hunting. Other than those two issues the rest of the boot was wearing as good as anything I've ever owned. So I sent them back and got a couple of new pairs. Both not the gtx's but both different models. I still think they are the best boots I've personaly owned but the heals do wear out on mine pretty fast I've had them a couple of years and wear them all winter at work and hunting,camping, hiking etc. So out of these brands my personal preference is the Hangwag. I have not tried the Zamberlan yet but one day might. They sound pretty good.

I have owned both over the years... I have a bit of a boot problem lol I personally would go with the Zamberlans if those two were your only two options. I would highly recommended looking into the Crispi Nevada Gtxs. By far my favorite boot so far. I would also put the Lowa hunters on the short list. I would definitely steer clear of Kenetreks. I went through 3 pairs in 3 years..

Coloradoboy

I agree with those that say you need to find a boot that fits YOU the best. Everyone's foot fits a different boot differently. Between the two you mentioned, I would take the Zamberlan's. I tried Kenetreks and they ripped my heels apart on an elk hunt. I also have Meindl's which would be my second choice.
Here is the result of my elk hunt in a pair of Kenetreks, but again, some people love them. Me.....not so much.

14962012coblisterfeet.jpg

Well my feet are as bad as you can possibly have. They are flat and I am very bold legged. I have owned many pairs of meindls and a pair of hangwags and Kenetreks. The Meindls and the hangwags always seem the most comfortable but the Meindls wear out way to fast. I like my Kenetreks but they are a little to narrow. They held up pretty good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom