Zeke...the Raminator

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Hey looked on the hunt challenge site and say our one and only Zeke...not only did he draw a bighorn tag his kid drew desert sheep are you kidding me...this guy is blessed...should be fun to watch...

And don't forget he drew a Wyoming moose tag last year and killed a helluva bull too!

Thanks guys!

Raminator? LOL. You always had a way with words.

The experience means so much to me that I figured I had an obligation to share.

I really enjoy when others share their hunts on MM and figured it was almost my duty to do in kind.

My hope is you all enjoy it in the spirit in which it's shared.

It's been a helluva ride and we haven't even been hunting yet.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-15 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]I'm following the Zekester's HAC posts with great interest. Summiting Boxelder Peak is a good test for old guys and if anyone can get the dogs in shape for a sheep mountain it will be our friend Zeke.
He and Zac have waited a long time for this day. The OVIS quest part of the family DNA. Definitely excited for them both!

I am praying...hoping....to hunt sheep one more time in my lifetime....the wait is more painful second time around I think....

Two in the family in one year....awesome...

Thanks for the heads-up on Zeke's HAC post - for some reason I always overlook that section of the forum...

Go get 'em Zeke!

Horniac

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-15 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-15 AT 12:02?PM (MST)

Thanks, one and all, for the encouraging comments and thanks for taking a peek at my adventure challenge posts. It's been an adventure and I'm enjoying taking you all along on the journey. I hope I don't bore with all the boring details.

Thank YOU, all.

Zeke

(Thanks LBH for keeping me in the loop on your hikes and upcoming sheep hunt. Thanks for the call LHRbull. The friendships supersede MM)

4 little weeks before I leave!

Man, it will be here and over before I know it.

The anticipation, planning, workouts and preparation have been very pleasant but I suspect the actual hunting will be a "10" on the physicality scale.

It's going to be a fine adventure with or without a ram in the bag but I'll do my best to have something to show off.

Backpack hunts are always an adventure!

Zeke

I'm not the jealous type...buuuuut sure do wish i was going Sheep hunting in a month...wow now that is something to look forward to....

Good luck Zeke...hope you and your son both can tag some great rams!! I can't imagine what it must be like to have a ram tag considering how happy I am just to have a ewe tag!

That was quite a cheer!

I needed some cheering-up while I was in the middle of my big hike on Saturday. My butt was draggin'!

My hunt is 11 days away. I hope I'm ready enough for this!

Zeke

If I was there I would Beeeeech slap you...;)....you have a friggen RAM TAG... a good one.....I don't want to hear any butt draggin talk!!! It is going to epic!!!!

There are only two ways this is going to end...you grinning with a ram...the ram that is right for you...orrrrr I will make a nice bronze to leave where they find you bones next spring...hahahaha

Go Raminator!!!!!!!!!

I do my best for sure.
The mountain is calling my name so I'll be back up the mountain tonight to huff and puff with my big pack... some more!

We're down to the short strokes so if I'm not ready now something's wrong.

You're right, it will be epic as all sheep hunts should be yet the old body still has to be whipped to get it up the mountain...but it's all worth it. I've told more than one person that I'll either have sheep pics or I'll never be heard from again. I prefer the first option.

This is most likely the last sheep hunt where the tag has my name on it but I suspect there will be a few others where I can tag along. Of course my son's Utah hunt is next but I can't think that far ahead right now.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Zeke

Sleep won't come easy a week from now! Good luck zeke! Hope you cross one that trips yer trigger!

Dont wander to far from your subaru zeke. I dont want to see reports of a lost old guy in the news. Your hard work and good karma will pay off with great memories and another animal to consume. Good luck.

Zeke's post is cool in a lot of ways!
But mostly cool to me because I realize that it is highly likely that I'll never have enough money to go on a sheep hunt in Alaska or Canada. And I'll probably not live long enough to draw a sheep tag in the state I live in. So these threads and posts, at least let a guy get a glimpse of what it is like to actually hunt sheep.
Go Raminator!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-15 AT 07:06PM (MST)[p]sjh,
I don't know what your circumstances are, but I would advise you to never say "never". If you want to hunt a sheep, it will happen for you if you apply enough and work hard. As a young man I felt the same way, but now I have been on 4 sheep hunts of my own and I am still hoping for more.
Later in life sometimes money is easier to come by and things can always change. Besides sometimes a guy can just get lucky.
So while I would not discourage you from enjoying Zeke's post, I would also encourage you to save every penny you can and applying in every state you can.
Zeke would be the first to tell you that as well. He has all four NA wild sheep but he still applys...and draws.
I spoke with Zeke two nights ago. He left this morning for Wyoming and he's probably looking for sheep as I write this. I'm confident we will see some positive results within a week or so.
Best of luck to all.

Okay been off scouting for Antelope and thought hmmmm will check my Facebook page real quick and then see if Zeke had posted anything....no posts here but I did see something that caught my attention on Facebook....

LBH is right....

A young man has the legs heart and lungs...but no money....an old man has the dough but the the legs heart and lungs aint what they use to be...but get it when you can...

Yes, I'm back and have a few stories to tell.
One over-used word comes to mind: AWESOME!

I'm in the middle of downloading pics to my computer and I'll post-up a few when I get a chance later today.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Zeke

I just got some pics downloaded. Here's one! LOL

149rscn2373.jpg

Zeke

That is a GRRRRREEEEAT looking ram!!!! whhhhooo hooo. You pulled it off with a great Ram. You said likely it will be you last sheep hunt as the shooter...what a great ram for your last bookend of some other great sheep...

GREAT JOB that Ram has tons of character and an old stud just like you hahahahaha

Great ram! Nice job. Love the character! And that rear view... to die for!

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Thanks guys!
I feel privileged, blessed and lucky.
The trip was the most physically demanding and difficult of any hunt I've ever been on but the weather was good and the sheep cooperated producing a nice ram for us.
I'm very please and content with the results.

8558dscn2237.jpg

We felt pretty small in that country!
Zeke

That is a stud ram. You did great on a well deserved trophy ram. I have waited all season for those pics. Now lets get to the next segment of the year of the ram.

Awesome Ram Zeke! It was your turn and you made the most of it, absolutely so happy for you, Congrats!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Suspicious lookin divot in his right horn zeke, got a metal detector? Or does it not look like someone prior, missed a nice ram? Just a strange place for a divot and tough to tell with just pics. Congrats again, he's AWESOME!

>Suspicious lookin divot in his right
>horn zeke, got a metal
>detector? Or does it not
>look like someone prior, missed
>a nice ram? Just a
>strange place for a divot
>and tough to tell with
>just pics. Congrats again, he's
>AWESOME!

That IS a suspicious looking hole in his right horn and in an area not usually associated with rock damage. Maybe he was shot but the back of the horn was intact so it must have been a small gun or something.
We'll investigate further when the taxidermist pulls the horns off the cores in a week or so.
Zeke

>Looks like you have him skinned
>out for a full body
>mount????

Negative, just a long cape job for a pedestal type mount.

Congratulations! He's awesome, you and your brother deserve it. I like many others look forward to your posts and comments.

Zeke, though i've been putting in seems forever, never been on a sheep hunt myself but your Ram looks huge to me, again Congrats!

Is he a Record Book type head? That pic from behind, the others as well, just seems that they wouldn't or don't get much better than that.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. It means a lot to me that you'd help celebrate my success....though achieved through no great skill of my own!

Joey,
Negative. He's no "record book" head, not even that close, but he's a great one for that unit in Wyoming. I'll take him any day of the week.

Scores can be all over the board and I usually take them with a grain of salt and you should too. We panel-scored him at 164 6/8" and he's 9.5 years old and he scores a perfect "10" in my book.

Thanks, Zeke

Zeke, as you know, i talk a lot of "score" in these pages but i've also said many times that there are some animals that are plenty trophy enough though they don't happen to score particularly high.

I agree with you, that Ram would be a 10 in my book too!

Joey

Zeke, I agree with your (and Joey's) take on score. It's nice to know a score as a reference point but as we all know, you can get to the same score a lot of different ways. In the end it's all about the experience and that is a great ram regardless of the number. I suspect your "experience" was a "10".

I totally agree with you guys!

We all talk "score" but most of us don't let the numbers diminish the quality of the hunt or the animal taken. Score makes for a good reference but too many guys let the "tape" determine if they had a good hunt.

I actually didn't think my ram would score as high as he did but I would have been happy, pleased and content with either side of 160".

All you guys are great to come on here and celebrate an excellent adventure and a great ram with me. Thanks!

Zeke

Zeke, what a great feeling it must be to seal the deal after so much time and preparation! I couldn't be happier for you! Congratulations!!

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

I posted a bunch on the "Hunt Adventure" section but they're so slow at "moderating them that I forget what I've posted.
Thanks for asking.
so... here they are:

Damn big, rough country!

726720150830175838.jpg

558820150831090649.jpg

114220150830193746.jpg

4189dscn2237.jpg

1888dscn3549.jpg

6075dscn2346.jpg

981420150830181037.jpg

Thanks, all, for your interest in our adventure!
Zeke

What a great Ram. Congrats on all your hard work paying off. How does he taste? My 8 year old son is fascinated with rams right now. All he wants to do is hunt and eat a ram.

Whhhhhhh hooooooo That ain't no flat lander Montana rut hunt with phone lines and motel signs in the back ground that is epic s**t....wow what country!!!!

In a word: delicious!

I'd eat the whole thing even if it tasted like my boot.... but thankfully it's really good! It better be good meat though because we had the darn thing on our backs for 2 solid days to get out of the high country! Well worth it though.

Zeke

AW,
Epic is correct and we're humbled to have the opportunity and ultimate success!

3813dscn3610.jpg

Zeke

For those that have never moved through that type of country it is actually harder than it looks....and it looks hard. Many of those cooler-sized rocks are wobbly and barely balanced each step is a new adventure in concentration and choice mentally and physically exhausting

I predict that in the annals of MM lore, Zeke's Year of the Sheep will become a classic.
Not because his experiences out distance others, but rather due to the kind of guy he is and how he models the adventure we all love.

I am especially pleased to see this forum's light shine brightly on someone who represents what I think most of us are all about. I am also not surprised at the "Rock Star" status he seems to be earning here. Much of that is likely due to the fact that you will seldom read a negative word on his posts.

I add my hearty congratulations!

I am also honored to call Mr. Z a good friend.

Zeke.. congrats super great old ram. probably one of the best rams taken in that unit. Do you have a story that I missed somewhere. How many days, did you see/pass other rams, how far?

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Nice Job Zeke & Brother!

That Mountain Range Looks Perty Flat though!:D:D:D

The Lake looks Flat anyway!:D

You earned that RAM!

Great Job Guys!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Thank you gentlemen and ladies (Where's Preddy) for all the glowing comments. I deserve none of them but they all make me feel good.
It was AWESOME and we have one more to work on this week. I'll share my son's hunt as it unfolds.
Zeke

Congrats to you Zeke on a very nice Ram and love those pictures mainly that last one, awesome. Pedestal mount will look good.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

You did that hunt right! gorgeous ram and incredible pics! I especially like the pic of your tent off down in the rocks. Hard Core my friend!

MT_Grizz.jpg

I thought I had all this pics technology figured out but I'm having a hard time so here's a test pic from son's desert sheep hunt.

Big-azz country:

8528dsc2654.jpg

Zeke

I planned on being a little dramatic but this is really pizzing me off!
The files are too large for MM....I'm guessing. I'll resize them tomorrow (they're downloaded on my computer in my office) and give it a whirl again. I don't know why some pics will load but the best ones will not!
I'll be adding them to the "adventure" forum and staring a thread in this "sheep etc" forum.
Thanks for the interest. It'll be worth the wait, I hope!
Zeke

Just saw him on the Adventure thread. That is one fantastic desert ram! Congratulations to all.

Another smoker of a ram! Congratulations.

Thanks Zeke

For you guys who care, I've added another sheep hunt to my "year of the (bighorn) sheep" post in the "adventure challenge" forum.

8292dscn2519.jpg

Hop up to the adventure challenge and take a look if you're inclined.

Thanks!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom