2 skulls I just finished

JRABQ

Here's pics of buffalo and oryx skulls I just finished. The buffalo skull was dang tough. Oryx had a busted palate so it's missing some bone near snout.

JR

4836204b03c38b3c.jpg

4836209f06960ce0.jpg

Those are both very good jobs, I have done afew in the past as well but have never gotten them quite that white.
Do you mind sharng your method of how you clean and bleach them to get them this way?

Thanks for the comments.

The final bleach was mostly 40% peroxide from beauty salon, paint it on with a 1" brush and let it sit in sun. Wash it off a few days later and redo, leave skull in sun again. I confess I also used a bit of chlorox in a few places on the buffalo skull that were sort of yellowish, it did the trick. Chlorox is usually considered bad because it is too agressive and may cause some joints to become loose. But that damn skull was so thick I didn't think it would matter.

I usually clean skulls by boiling (after trimming) and pressure washing, but with the buffalo skull I first tried soaking in a garbage can (barely fit) for several weeks. It was stinking up the neighborhood so I took it out and blasted it with a pressure washer for about an hour, man that was a nasty job. Then I managed to find a pot (#2 washtub) big enough to boil it although it didn't entirely fit, had to rotate it around several times. Then I still had to blast it with the pressure washer again for another hour. There was all sorts of nooks and crannies with some stubborn grissle that took a lot of blasting to get loose. By far the toughest skull I've ever done, maybe I just should have paid the beetle guy.

Both skulls were sprayed with satin acrylic, which helps keep them clean, and give them a nice look, IMO.

JR

Anybody ever use the carrion beetles????? I have done the boil route...usually pick the flesh and re-boil...the power wash sound like a good idea.

Ted

I think a lot of taxidermists send skulls out to a "beetle" guy. A "friend-of-a-friend" of mine who started a beetle colony was asking $150 just for the bison skull, I guess I'm too cheap, so I did them myself. Also some pride for doing it yourself.

Yeah they look really good. I have done many myself the boil and pick technique. I too enjoy doing that stuff myself and will for sure try the power washer technique.

Ted

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom