2013 deer regs question

searcher

I was reviewing the proposed 2013 non-resident deer season dates and have a couple of questions (I am referring specifically to mule deer):

What is the rationale behind having those deer hunt areas that are still listed within general regions be restricted to "3-point or better" bucks when the limited quota areas within the same regions are listed as "antlered" mule deer? I am referring specifically to Region D, E and W but there are probably other examples. If WY is truely trying to restore the mule deer population why not limit the licenses for limited quota areas to 4 X 4 or better trophy size deer and let the younger population grow? It seems counterproductive to me to allow any buck to be legal in limited quota areas and limit the killing of younger bucks in the general areas. If the goal is to help restore the population, why not limit the killing of younger bucks across the region?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]Regions are not necessarily connected. Region D runs from Casper to Encampment. Area 78 has nothing to do with area 66.

Plus, in a limited quota area they can micro manage the harvest. The age structure in a limited quota areas are usually better. Not so, in a general area. The G&F controls the amount of hunters in limited quota areas, but not in general areas. It has been my experience that 2x2 get slaughtered in general areas. In limited quota areas people are more selective because it is difficult to draw limited tags. Hence, in limited quota areas more 2 points survive.

Limiting it to only 4 points would allow big 3 points to do the breeding. However, limiting the harvest to a minimum of 3 points for several years would allow big 2 points to breed. IMO, they need a system that rotates. Every other year allow 2 points to live in general areas. This would improve age structure. I'm sure I'm not thinking of the downside to this system, but someone will point it out.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]The theory is that the LQ areas are going to police themselves because people drawing those tags are probably not going to shoot a small buck. Also, since the LQ units are supposed to be better areas for quality animals, even if a few smaller bucks are taken it won't hurt the overall quality of the herd; whereas if the general areas don't have the quantity of mature bucks to start with they need more time to grow past the point restriction. I believe G&F does that on a fairly limited basis as a last resort to help an area. That's also why you have to be careful if you want to shoot an anterless deer on your tag at the end of an either sex season on a general tag because some units you can and some you can't.

OK. The honor system seems reasonable. Anyone have any guess on how many points these limited quota areas will take to draw?

Guys - the limited quota areas I am asking about have never been limited quota areas before. Last year, they were part of general regions. I was wondering if it was going to take max points to draw these areas. I am 1-under max points. In most years, Region D had leftover licenses so maybe the interest won't be as high as in trophy areas like 82. I guess we won't know until after the drawing and we find out what the interest in these new limited quota areas will be.

The newly limited quota areas in the Platte valley won't be that difficult to draw. There will be high enough quotas that I wouldn't be suprised if some folks draw them on a second choice. I wouldn't expect leftovers, however.

FYI, it doesn't matter if immature bucks are taken in an area with a limited quota since that is taken into account when the quota is set. In ungulate populations, the vast majority of males in the population is surplus, no matter their age, and it won't affect the population one way or the other.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom