2013 Wyoming Antelope

HalfAce

Very Active Member
Hey guys, this is a late report, but better late then never.

I got drawn for an antelope buck tag in a 1 point unit out of Casper. This was my first ever hunting trip to Wyoming so I didn't know what to expect, but I had an idea of what it may be like after the strong winter kill a few years ago.

It seemed like there were fewer antelope than what other hunters have said to expect in years prior. But it still was a really easy and absolutely fun hunt! I am very happy with the buck I got. I was constantly seeing animals in most places that I looked. I saw a good number of young bucks that seem to only be a year away from being good bucks. But I saw only a handful of bucks that I would consider to be mature. And for the most part they had good length, but they were really short on the cutters.

A Game warden confirmed this, and said he hasn't seen good cutters on a buck until I brought mine in (but mine does lack length). He did see a few 15 inchers come out of the red desert. On the way home I drove by the red desert and can see why its so difficult to draw. I saw one buck that would go book for sure. Biggest Antelope buck I have ever seen. So I see why it can be so difficult to draw.

Lastly, the first day I hunted was the day after the opener. I only saw 5 trucks on that Monday, so I don't understand the mass hysteria about the orange army, there was little to no trouble finding areas with no people. The weather was also good, and the roads were dry even though it had rained in the last 2 days.

1455img_0831.jpg

8181img_0845.jpg

9487img_0837.jpg

P.S. I was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag w/ a 160 grain Nosler Accubond. Shot was just over 200 yards. I will be shooting something a little smaller in the future if I plan on getting a mount. The bullet ruined the cape on the exit side.

Nice lope! I've hunted several areas in WY for 'lopes and I think outside of Casper is the best. Matter of fact, I think I took my pic with one in that same spot!

Congrats again!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom