243 Short Mag?

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
I was out hunting dogs with a friend that just got a 243 WSM. I was really impressed. Has anyone used it on deer and if so was it any better than a standard 243?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

My best friend has a .243 short and loves it. I don't know the real differences compared with a standard .243. He just got a divorce and is actually trying to sell it, it's practically brand new.

I have a 243 Browning WSSM A Bolt.I have killed several mule deer and 3 speed goats with it.I just had it dipped in a snow camo pattern to use for dog hunting this winter.I really like the way it shoots and handles.(ROD)

You might be able to gain 100 ft.per sec. with the wssm. I think the price and availability of ammo out-ways the small increase in velocity.

243wssmVS243win.jpg

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have to agree with elkoholic. I own a winchester 243 wssm. It is a great rifle and shoots well. I took a decent whitetail with it last year with one shot. That being said, I believe a standard 243 would have done the same. My rifle only holds 3 shells in the magazine, and the bullets were harder to find and much more expensive to buy than the standards. Now I reload, so price is no different.

I've heard complaints of feed problems with the WSSM's. Have you found that to be the case? Thanks and enjoy your rifle.

sidepass

I bought the 243 WSSM for my girls when they were 8 & 9 after passing their hunters safety, they were too small for anything else really and I gave this gun a try. WOW, they have both taken muley bucks, antelope bucks and they have 3 bull elk between them. All taken with the 243 WSSM. Only one fo the above animals required more than one shot, a bull that she hit in the hind quarters then center punched him for the finish. The hind quarter shot punched thru both hips and he wasn't going far. The ammo is difficult to find and very pricey but it does the job. Too expensive for me to use on dogs.

IMO the short mags and super short mags are a waste of money. When you compare gains to price difference it just doesn't add up to me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom