27-pound Sunset Set!

Dawgs

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 11:30PM (MST)[p]Hey, is there a sunset law for huntin' sheds? Reckon not, cuz I found this gorgeous 27-pound set (yes, I weighed them) after the sun had dropped. I was just heading back down to the rig after finding one skinny, sort of long 5-point when I really did say out loud to myself that the elk that had been on the hillside should have dropped his antlers right near there; and holy! A huge 5-point appeared below me.

6230antler1.jpg

It was getting dark, so I looked for the second side a bit and headed back to my vehicle. After figuring out that I was parked less than a 1/4 mile away, I detoured back to finding the second side. It did take more than a little looking, but I found it 60 yards down the way. I neglected to get an ATL for the second one, since I mostly wanted the reunion pics. Enjoy.

8421antler2.jpg

4191antler3.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 11:22PM (MST)[p]I'm trying... Got the 3 photo links, but they won't work?

later that evening... Fixed it - the address had parentheses; had to rename it. Enjoy Leif T.

Congrats, I hiked around for a few miles on some private land and I parked the truck off the side of the 2 lane highway and I was so bummed no sheds and not 40 yards from the pavement and 300 yards from the truck was a set of sheds. I couldn't believe it and said to myself "Why did I do all of this walking". Wish I could find elk sheds like that!

Thanks. No kidding Velvetfvr. I did a similar thing a couple weeks ago when I found that nice 6 by 7 set with 59 amd 55 inch main beams. I hiked some 3-4 hours ending up over in an area that I usually drive into and found the "shorter" side on the edge of the road in the base of some trees.

Really? People on here always doubt each other's taped measurements, so I figured I'd just weigh them. Yes, I can read a scale.

Ha ha, thats funny! Each antler weighs 13.5 lbs huh! I love it when people think that everyone is going to believe it just because they said it. OK, I believe ya!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-12 AT 06:18AM (MST)[p]If I said it, then it would true, yes. Um, Surviday, just search "dawgs" on here to see a few of my pics. With a whole 7 posts on here, I'm not sure why you're questioning anyone? Enjoy.

I don't doubt the 27 lbs one bit.

I have a bull from two years on video and both years sheds. In 2011 he's 26.6 lbs and 350. They are smaller this year at about 25 lbs and 335. His beams are way shorter than that bull above, but a bit more mass.

Nice find Dawgs !!!

Cheers,
Pete

Learned something new yesterday! Sheds dry out and loose a ton of weight from the day they drop to a month leater.

I weighted the 25 lbs set the day after they dropped and again yesterday and they were only 22 lbs after a month being indoors at 68 degs.

Those things still have alot of moisture in them while they are their head. Would never have thought it was that much though!

Cheers,
Pete

That makes plenty of sense; I will have to check these in a couple of months and see how much they change. Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom